Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LRP pictures

It looks like they're reworking the uphill turn where Adam Zimmerman ws killed last season.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

wow, just what we need a street course with trees on the other side of the guardrails and fences rather than buildings...

Also did you notice the turns with exception to the uphill have Less run off room... for example the downhill???

Not sure why they needed to ruin the "prestigeouse" look of the track by making it into a NHIS circle track or better yet a copy of the Watkins Glenn Nascar short track...

Soon we will have full course yellows for a local spin...

Disapointing... but we will wait to see the end results before we get really disapointed...

Raymond

RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

0100-

I just wanted to post again and thank you for the updated pictures...

Raymond

PS: Are you eric? If so awsome webpage... even though it isn't an IT car
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

damn, just about all the sitelines I use for shooting images are now fenced over.

Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Jan 23 2006, 03:04 AM
    wow, just what we need a street course with trees on the other side of the guardrails and fences rather than buildings...
    Also did you notice the turns with exception to the uphill have Less run off room... for example the downhill???

Not sure why they needed to ruin the "prestigeouse" look of the track by making it into a NHIS circle track or better yet a copy of the Watkins Glenn Nascar short track...

[snapback]71628[/snapback]
    I agree. I don't know why they are adding armco around the entire track. The only spot I felt was unsafe was the uphill with no runoff & tire wall.

Dennis McCarthy posted these pictures on the formula board so he is really the one to thank. I just figured people on IT.com would like to see them.

Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Jan 23 2006, 03:21 AM
    Are you eric? If so awsome webpage... even though it isn't an IT car
    [snapback]71633[/snapback]
    Thanks Raymond! My site is getting old and I never update it. I just started to build an entire new site(v2) that I will actually try to keep updated. I hope to be done by March.

You guys have an awesome site too!! Tons of stuff to check out.

yea, odd "improvements"

some are obviously good ideas for the workers.

but removing runoff room is never good!

and the fences? They don't look like they can stop much. which makes their installation on no name curious.

i like the uphill work.

I just hope we don't see gravel traps infront of all that new guardrail.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I was wondering if all that *lovely* chain link fence on No-name was to limit wheels and such from flying into the swamp. Could that be something they are doing to try to appease the town or state on environmental issues???

You never really get many cars (or workers! ) flying into the swamp on driver's left from Non-name, so perhaps there is more pressure on the track to have more environmental regulations.

Unfortunately, LRP has always been a square peg in a round hole there. The neighbors in the area aren't happy at having some noisy, messy 'neighbor' foul the air that they have to breathe, and they really get cranky if they are traveling from the train station to their 38 room cottage, and there are (GASP )RACER'S in the way with their tacky trailers with all that, ICKY lettering and such! I mean, they bought this cottage so they wouldn't have to have traffic! That's why they only have a Hummer with a brush guard for the commute.

My personal favorite over the years has been the NYC second home people who buy a home near the track for less than it would sell in a 'nicer' (read further away from the track) and THEN they lobby to close the racetrack and complain endlessly that the track is ruining their home's value, and their piece of mind. That's the same mentality of people who buy them in the flight path of an airport, and try to have the airport moved.

Most (although not all) of the remaining folks who have been there since the track opened have been fine with it. It's another business operation, like an airfield, or a local Rod & Gun club that holds shooting competitions.

Anyway, I'd better stop. This has long been a thorn in my side....and it's not likely to change. I just hope that they don't one day succeed and close LRP for good.

The 3-high guardrail along the straight is badly needed. And re-configuring the uphill's runoff is probably necessay (there have been at least 2 deaths there that I'm aware of in the past decade)

But the rest of it is butt-ugly. :angry:
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Yes, it looks like they are re-working the up-hill, but not at the spot that is the issue......

ALso not sure I like the area before the bridge on the right. Need tires, not armco........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I&#39;m guessing that part of the rationale for some of the extra fencing is to prevent deer from entering the track. I&#39;ve seen many get very close to the track.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I like the improvements at the uphill. The track must have dropped many tons of fill there. I doubted they would ever be able to improve the runoffs there - that is a big safety improvement.

But all the fencing - safer, but sure is uglier.

If the runoff at the downhill has been reduced as much as it appears I worry about a car bouncing back into traffic....

Originally posted by 16v@Jan 23 2006, 03:58 AM
    damn, just about all the sitelines I use for shooting images are now fenced over.
    [snapback]71638[/snapback]
    Yeah, I can agree with that. First thing I thought of was no more blueflags from ANY corner station! Look at the sightline down the front straight from the entrance of bigbend (or really, try looking through a fence all day long). The safety improvements aren&#39;t very good (from a workers point of view...).

How many of us have seen an incident along No-Name straight where corner workers are helping use from driver&#39;s left? Where is there a hole in the fence for anyone to get out of the way or run to the car safely? (not that running on that berm was safe to begin with).

Where is there a hole in the fence from westbend to the front straight on drivers left? Again, where are the corner workers going to come from when someone needs assistant from crashing in the "improved" downhill?

Oh, and where did Grid go? looks like pit lane got extended into the grid area (though that should be easily addressed by us). However, it looks like Grid will not be very secure from passersby (i.e. little kids running around).

Ugh....I should wait till they are done with the improvements. This might really work out well.

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Jeremy-

Good catch on the issues workers will help... really just makes me worry that more incidents will be full course yellows...

As for grid, looks like that will be moving into the only dry area of &#39;B" paddock... Maybe the Main paddock will once again be "the place to be"

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Originally posted by 7racing@Jan 23 2006, 03:49 PM
    Yeah, I can agree with that. First thing I thought of was no more blueflags from ANY corner station! Look at the sightline down the front straight from the entrance of bigbend (or really, try looking through a fence all day long). The safety improvements aren&#39;t very good (from a workers point of view...).

How many of us have seen an incident along No-Name straight where corner workers are helping use from driver&#39;s left? Where is there a hole in the fence for anyone to get out of the way or run to the car safely? (not that running on that berm was safe to begin with).

Where is there a hole in the fence from westbend to the front straight on drivers left? Again, where are the corner workers going to come from when someone needs assistant from crashing in the "improved" downhill?

Oh, and where did Grid go? looks like pit lane got extended into the grid area (though that should be easily addressed by us). However, it looks like Grid will not be very secure from passersby (i.e. little kids running around).

Ugh....I should wait till they are done with the improvements. This might really work out well.

Jeremy
    [snapback]71691[/snapback]
    LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF THE RUNOFF AREA AT THE UP HILL, WELL I HOPE THE WORK IS NOT FINISHED IN THIS AREA BECAUSE TO ME THIS LOOKS A BIGGER ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. IF THINGS GO WRONG AT THIS CORNER AND YOU END UP IN THIS RUN OFF AREA ITS GOING TO BE A NIGHTMARE. THIS SO CALLED RUN OF AREA IS NOT GOING TO SLOW A CAR DOWN IF IT LEAVES THE TRACK AT THIS POINT. IF YOU GO STREIGHT IN TO THIS AREA A CAR TRAVELLING AT CLOSE TO 100 MPH IS GOING TO GO STREIGHT THROUGH IT AND IN TO THE TREES . IF IT GETS IN TO IS SIDEWAYS ITS GOING TO FLIP AND ROLE. IF YOU PUT A WHEEL OF IN IT YOU MIGHT HAVE A SLIM CHANGE OF FIGHTING THE CAR BANK ON COURSE. I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT OF SOMEONES ATEMPT AT MAKING THIS CORNER SAFER. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING OF ?

after thinking about it today I can&#39;t help but think that a lot of these changes coincide with ALMS (or GrandAM) needs. That said, even the temp circuit in DC for the National GP a few years ago had photo holes and access openings for workers.
    <<< see avatar

I&#39;m gonna need a lot of black spray paint if I&#39;m going to shoot thru that fencing
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

I agree, the armco getting closer to the track is worrisome. Will the armco be lined with tires? Lets hope so. Or will dreaded gravel pits be installed? Arrgggg.

ALMS is absolutely the driving force, I am sure.

Why give UP real estate when you don&#39;t have to?? I would prefer redoing the armcos on the present spots, and adding pavement between the track and them...maybe leaving a strip of grass at the edge of the track to define the driving area. Pavement is far better to me then gravel, or closer armcos!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

It seems like the pictures were taken down (404).

Does anyone know of any other pics?

Thank you!
    -Kyle

Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 24 2006, 12:59 AM
    I agree, the armco getting closer to the track is worrisome. Will the armco be lined with tires? Lets hope so. Or will dreaded gravel pits be installed? Arrgggg.

ALMS is absolutely the driving force, I am sure.

Why give UP real estate when you don&#39;t have to?? I would prefer redoing the armcos on the present spots, and adding pavement between the track and them...maybe leaving a strip of grass at the edge of the track to define the driving area. Pavement is far better to me then gravel, or closer armcos!
    [snapback]71792[/snapback]
    My thought was that this probably a safer barrier/soft wall thing. I would guess that&#39;s a Grand Am (Nascar) requirement. Then again, they weren&#39;t needed for Busch North, so maybe it is an ALMS requirement.

And if that is true, I&#39;m not sure if a tire wall in front of it will be implemented. I just wonder if we will be billed for the styrofoam.

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Originally posted by Mark Gregory@Jan 23 2006, 10:25 PM
    LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF THE RUNOFF AREA AT THE UP HILL, WELL I HOPE THE WORK IS NOT FINISHED IN THIS AREA BECAUSE TO ME THIS LOOKS A BIGGER ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. IF THINGS GO WRONG AT THIS CORNER AND YOU END UP IN THIS RUN OFF AREA ITS GOING TO BE A NIGHTMARE. THIS SO CALLED RUN OF AREA IS NOT GOING TO SLOW A CAR DOWN IF IT LEAVES THE TRACK AT THIS POINT. IF YOU GO STREIGHT IN TO THIS AREA A CAR TRAVELLING AT CLOSE TO 100 MPH IS GOING TO GO STREIGHT THROUGH IT AND IN TO THE TREES . IF IT GETS IN TO IS SIDEWAYS ITS GOING TO FLIP AND ROLE. IF YOU PUT A WHEEL OF IN IT YOU MIGHT HAVE A SLIM CHANGE OF FIGHTING THE CAR BANK ON COURSE. I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT OF SOMEONES ATEMPT AT MAKING THIS CORNER SAFER. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING OF ?
    [snapback]71781[/snapback]
    They still have tons of fill left to drop and the barrier to build - couldn&#39;t be the finished product. They will need to make the grade even with the track, otherwise a car will just travel over the gravel trap - if no gravel trap then a safer barrier that will absorb impact and not rebound the car back into traffic.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

with all that square footage of armco going up, maybe it&#39;s part of a plan to sell lots of advertising (like on the boards in the NHL).

Big Bend, brought to you by McDonald&#39;s of Canaan etc etc