Originally posted by Gary L@Jan 23 2006, 10:06 AM
David - With all due respect, the forged piston and bushing material debates had some basis with which to start a discussion... they are at least mentioned in the ITCS. Diff coolers are not mentioned in the ITCS. Therefore, by definition (if it doesn't say "yes", it means "no"), they are not allowed.

If I were you and just had to write a letter to SCCA, I'd be writing to ask whether the Volvo 240's were reviewed during the recent ITAC realignment process. Which 240 of the 3 listed are you preparing? There is at least one of those 3 (the 1975 2.0 liter) that would clearly not be competitive at the listed weight of 2780 pounds, IMHO. My understanding of how the ITAC process went down was that if no one was currently campaigning a specific model, that model was not reviewed for proper classification weight.
[snapback]71656[/snapback]

Gary,

I am builidng my car to the 1976-1981 line item. There are some nuances that I've uncovered that should make the car competitive. Don't worry, it is all in print from Volvo.

I am also planning on writing a letter about the 2780# weight. The ITCS lists the exhaust valve diameter as 37mm when it is in fact only 35mm for the B21/23/230 SOHC engines. There are some other incorrect pieces of information that I am going to correct, with Volvo technical literature to back it up. Nothing is for sure, but reducing the 240's weight to that of the 140 would be equitable, considering that they are bascially the same car behind the firewall, save some refinements and the fact that the 140 has an SLA front suspenion and the 240 has a strut. The SLA is far superior to the strut.

To all,

There seems to be a trend with SCCA, both at the club level and the Pro level and I have some experience with both. The SCCA isn't what it used to be, and never was. Some things need to change and some things don't. Modifications for the sake of having a reliable car is not an outlandish proposal. Shot-peening connecting rods is one of those things. It doesn't give anyone an edge, and depending on which cleaning method your local machine shop uses, you may get your part shot peened regardless. (for the record my connecting rods will be shot peened, protest away!). Adding and oil cooler to the engine is legal so you can keep your engine alive, why not the same solution for drivetrain pieces? Maybe my car needs it, maybe it doesn't. I am building an IT because it is affordable. Blowing up parts just because is ridiculous! And purchasing new parts is costly, if they're even available.

One thing I find strange is the blank check live axled cars get in the ITCS and no one complains about that. I can legally remove my 5-link and put in a race-spec 3-link and smell like a rose in tech. Also, IRS cars can slot suspension mounting points to adjust alignment, isn't suspension geometry part of the suspension's alignment? These are areas that introduce performance enhancing modifications, not adding a pump and a cooler to increase the life of a differential. But maybe I'm off base here.

Thanks to all for the feedback.