Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: It's here...

I think the changes are great, but I still feel we sort of changed class philosophy with the SIR. Weight would have been fine for the BMWs. And the “too much weight” doesn’t hold a lot of water really. There are other cars in S with higher weights and some with much poorer brakes than a BMW.

E46 3 Series at 3000lbs
    Ford Mustang V6 at 3100lbs
    Prelude SH at 2905lbs
    Supra at 3380lbs!!!!

I suppose we wait and see what happens. I can see some logic in what has been written with the SIR affecting everyone and leveling the field somewhat. But the car should have weighed more from the beginning. If it was too heavy at that weight and ate brakes, wore tires out, and generally was a poor race car then well, well, well – the documents say competitiveness is not guaranteed.

Maybe we can put it in ITU at a correct weight………

Ron

Nice job guys! I only wish I could have been a part of this positive move.

I look forward the results of the SIR as I am a strong believer in the technology. Once it is proven I hope to see other classifications added based on the technology in the future.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

for Jake.......

***What about me??? ***

Jake, Im sorry I don't watch the score card to keep informed of whose who in the politcal arena. Just when did you join the politics ? I mean, when did you become accecpted to the ITAC ? Mid year, I notice a slightly different posts presentation. Congrats my friend. The 1st gen may not be at the top but IMHJ it's in the class where it belongs.

***I doubt we'll see many Corvairs, though! Darn!***

By coincidence I talked with Charlie Clark this p.m. & we talked about his & John Brakke's corvairs. Charlie still has his.

Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Group: Members
    Member No.: 111

View Vehicles

Warn: (0%) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<< What dose "Warn: (0%)" mean above below View Vehicles ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Jan 20 2006, 08:21 PM
    Group: Members
    Member No.: 111

View Vehicles

Warn: (0%) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<< What dose "Warn: (0%)" mean above below View Vehicles ?
    [snapback]71479[/snapback]
    I am betting that it is a measure put in place by the webmaster to let you know how close you are to being bounced off the board. Seemingly 5 strikes and you are out if the green lights mean anything.

I think we can only see our own warning level.
    AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Did anyone install and test a SIR on an ITS BMW E-36 to see the results before implementing this rule change or is this another SCCA experiment to be funded by BMW drivers?
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Originally posted by robits325is@Jan 20 2006, 09:43 PM
    Did anyone install and test a SIR on an ITS BMW E-36 to see the results before implementing this rule change or is this another SCCA experiment to be funded by BMW drivers?
    [snapback]71485[/snapback]
    Do some more research on the topic Rob before we have to hear the back-handed comments.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt

The ITAC drops me to ITA and removes 140 pounds but the CRB&#39;s tells me my "motor" is too big for production.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Originally posted by jhooten@Jan 20 2006, 10:16 PM
    The ITAC drops me to ITA and removes 140 pounds but the CRB&#39;s tells me my "motor" is too big for production.
    [snapback]71489[/snapback]
    I don&#39;t think you got dropped to ITA...

AB
    Andy Bettencourt

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Jan 20 2006, 08:28 PM

AB
    [snapback]71490[/snapback]

I hate it when that happens....
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Jan 21 2006, 03:28 AM

AB
    [snapback]71490[/snapback]
    You are correct, it was a bad cut and paste job in an e-mail I got. Either that or he did it on purpose to jerk my chain. Should have confirmed the info first.

Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Andy, thanks for the info.

There are 5 blue rectangles to the right side of this message. Dont remember the blue rectangles being additive. I think the stuff showed up today all at once. <_< No green light.

I sent a message to the webmaster asking for information.

Warn: (0%) - - - - -
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I think the question "has anyone tested the BMW SIR on the track yet?" deserves an answer. Disregard his other comment and please answer the question, I can take a wild guess at the answer. For people that are looking for a place to read a little about SIR&#39;s look at www.raetech.com.
    I also have not seen any comments on how the ITS cars that lost all of the weight by these new rules will actually do it unless they hire Nicole Ritchie to drive for them or use remote controls.
    Joe Harlan probably has built ITS Datsuns, how much can they legally get down to? I have a couple of friends that laughed when I told them the new weights of the 280z and 280zx that they run, and they said the ZX could probably lose 85 lbs and the 280z around 25 lbs.

holy crap. i thought an sir would be something simple to stick in the intake. looks like it will take a entire redesign of the intake track/airbox, plus the >$350 cost of a new restrictor, and new tuning, on top of the restrictor and tuning costs from last year. geeez. it may be cheaper to drop in some hot cams and go race in bmwcca.

so what is the target hp that this sir is supposed to limit the car to?

4. BMW 318 (E36) (92-94), p. 23, change the specs to read as follows: Weight(lbs.): 2600.
    5. BMW 318ti & Club Sport (1995), p. 23, change the specs to read as follows: Weight(lbs.): 2600.
    6. BMW 318ti Sport (96-99), p. 23, change the specs to read as follows: Weight(lbs.): 2600.

Not to be a whiner, but why do all of the other M42/M44 powered BMWs go down to 2600 lbs, but the Z3 is still at 2675? I&#39;m hoping that this was an oversight - otherwise I&#39;m curious as to why the Z3 remains at its current somewhat portly weight..

-noam
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA

Originally posted by xr4racer@Jan 20 2006, 09:45 PM
    I think the question "has anyone tested the BMW SIR on the track yet?" deserves an answer. Disregard his other comment and please answer the question, I can take a wild guess at the answer. For people that are looking for a place to read a little about SIR&#39;s look at www.raetech.com.
    I also have not seen any comments on how the ITS cars that lost all of the weight by these new rules will actually do it unless they hire Nicole Ritchie to drive for them or use remote controls.
    Joe Harlan probably has built ITS Datsuns, how much can they legally get down to? I have a couple of friends that laughed when I told them the new weights of the 280z and 280zx that they run, and they said the ZX could probably lose 85 lbs and the 280z around 25 lbs.
    [snapback]71498[/snapback]
    I think the 260 if you use the early bumpers and 190 lb driver could get close with light wheels

I have not looked hard at a 280 but I think the 280zx could get close and would be a great car. Please don&#39;t scoff to hard at this at least its an honest attempt to try.

GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by robits325is@Jan 21 2006, 02:43 AM
    [snapback]71485[/snapback]
    sounds like the latter of the two...we all funded the scca experiment last year too. guess they are trying to run the bmw&#39;s out by killing our budgets. wonder what we will have to pay for next year? (those that are left....)

and where are the sir&#39;s for all the other cars in the class? if we are enforcing some magic formula for hp/wt, then why not make every car run an sir to keep the hp at the desired amount for each car?

or how about requiring all its drivers contribute to a fund to pay for the bmw restrictor costs.....it is effectively making everyone else&#39;s car faster, so they should pay for it!

Regardless of what you do, you&#39;ll get kudos and gripes. I used to figure if I got 50% of each on a new solution, I was about on target.

Thanks for all your help guys! Anybody on the ITAC - I owe you one (and you may collect at the Convention) - not just for the 100#, but for all the hard work you do.

Originally posted by mlytle@Jan 20 2006, 10:35 PM
    sounds like the latter of the two...we all funded the scca experiment last year too. guess they are trying to run the bmw&#39;s out by killing our budgets. wonder what we will have to pay for next year? (those that are left....)

and where are the sir&#39;s for all the other cars in the class? if we are enforcing some magic formula for hp/wt, then why not make every car run an sir to keep the hp at the desired amount for each car?

or how about requiring all its drivers contribute to a fund to pay for the bmw restrictor costs.....it is effectively making everyone else&#39;s car faster, so they should pay for it!
    [snapback]71504[/snapback]

Now before this whine fest goes to far I am gonna tell you that others have spent tons of development money to try to keep up with a car that was clearly misclassed and exploited by to many wins by drivers with marginal talent and many track records by guys with exceptional talent. Don&#39;t be crying because your trophy harvesting days have come to a slow down. The E36 will still be the class of the field if it is driven as well and as hard as many of the guys that have put up with the misclassification of that car for all these years. I promise 350 bucks and a little hard work is not nearly the cost of the dyno time and header construction we have had to do over the years.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Joe, thanks for your reply, when I look at my friends cars again next week I will try to se how mch weight they can leglally lose. What gets me is the CRB&#39;s love of SIR&#39;s that have not been proven on the track or if they were I am not aware.
    The GTL cars SIR size got changed to a 1mm lower size even before more than a few had installed them.
    To answer the other question about why SIR&#39;s are not on all cars. It is not needed on the other cars because they can carry the weight that the process shows they should race at. For some reason the CRB chose SIR&#39;s over putting 300 or so lbs on the BMW&#39;s.
    To me I can&#39;t understand why they reduce weight on slower cars and do not add weight to the faster cars. It is EXTREMELY expensive to reduce a cars weight and not too much to bolt in more weight.
    As I stated earlier I have an 86 RX-7 and I would be one bolting in the weight.

Matt