Thread: It's here...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Picked up 100 pounds, but until I see otherwise I will say good to the overall process - and I will say great job on the effort put in on the project.

ITA battles should be real interesting in 2006.
    Ed.

Andy, not griping at all, just trying to understand: why not adjust the weight?

A single make SIR seems against class-philosophy to me. Correcting the weight to where it should be -- just don't see the downside to that.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Originally posted by JeffYoung@Jan 20 2006, 11:28 AM
    Andy, not griping at all, just trying to understand: why not adjust the weight?

A single make SIR seems against class-philosophy to me. Correcting the weight to where it should be -- just don't see the downside to that.
    [snapback]71419[/snapback]

Andy,

Please don't take this this wrong way, but I'm inclined to agree w/ Jeff on this one. And that's based on the way the PCA section of the ITCS is worded. Certainly lead impacts all areas of the car (acceleration, braking, lateral load), so more lead is going to cost more in terms of tires and brakes, as well as increase lap times.

Here's my concern. What happens when someone requests their whiz-bang puddlebee classified? Is there a targeted max. weight for the class, or will it be spec'd based on the potential output in IT prep? If the goal is to set a max hp AND a max weight upper bound for ITS (doesn't matter for ITA-C, as the cars could be moved up a class), then I think the SIR is absolutely the best way to go. I don't think it benefits anyone to saddle a car w/ boat loads of lead, when you have an alternative technology to help control lap times.

So, if the goal is a max weight of 2850# and a hp output of 200 (don't know if that's what it is or not), for a 14.25 lb/hp ratio, would that whiz-bang puddlebee, that makes 225hp, come in at 3205#, or would it come in @ 2850# w/ a SIR that would limit output to 200hp? Clearly the end result is the same, in terms of lp/hp, but @ 3205#, that w-b puddlebee is going to use up brakes and tires faster than a 2850# E36 w/ the SIR.