Thread: Anyone see the Pluto probe launch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I empathize with the dedication part, and my neighbor is a systems engineer on the Atlas team so I hear stories of the trials and tribulations associated with any complex project. Waiting nine years for a reward for one's efforts is a supreme test of patience and maturity. Kudos to them all.

I was just wondering if anyone saw it. I mean live (TIVO doesn't count, Greg. ). I make a point of watching Shuttle launches whenever possible--as in go outside and watch--and am always impressed with the speed. Hey, 17,500 mph is a pretty good trap speed, but this thing popped out of the hole like a chipmunk on fire. The phrase, "Holy crap Batman, where'd it go?!" springs to mind.

It makes one proud to know that simple homo sapiens can do this.

Then again, they were probably using spherical bearings and tweaked ECUs. Next thing you know it will be nitrous. Time to protest!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

I got to see a night shuttle launch once, December '99. My wife and I were flying down to Stuart and the airspace around KSFC was closed. Instead of diverting around we dropped into Daytona Beach airport.

The folks at the airport were inside watching it on the TV but we went outside to look; they pointed us to the direction it would happen. We expected something like a point of light or so, but were *ASTOUNDED* to see the whole horizon bright with light when that thing got lit. The light it put out was incredible; I could have easily read a magazine and it was over 50 miles away! On TV it looks like it's going "up"; it's not until you see one in person that you realize how far downrange they go towards the horizon...

Cool stuff. I envy you for being so close. If I were that close I'd be there watching all the launches! - GA