Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Rules Makers are smart?

Cool

If you can figure this puzzle out, then you qualify to be an IT Rules maker. If not, sit quietly and listen

You have a detached garage with no windows...

You are in the house
    There are three switches, labled on and off.
    In the shop there are 3 lamp bulbs plugged into 3 outlets
    Each switch maps to only one lamp bulb
    You can only go into the shop once
    Once you leave the house, you can not return!

Question: How can you determine which switches map to which lamps in the shop?

ENJOY!
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

Originally posted by Webmaster@Jan 19 2006, 11:28 AM
    If you can figure this puzzle out, then you qualify to be an IT Rules maker. If not, sit quietly and listen

You are in the house

ENJOY!
    [snapback]71245[/snapback]
    I seem to remember seeing this many years ago, but I can&#39;t remember where or when. I think the answer goes something like: you turn on switch #1 for several minutes, then turn it off and turn on switch #2 and go out to the garage. The bulb that is on is obviously mapped to switch #2, the bulb that is hot is mapped to switch #1, and the remaining bulb is mapped to switch #3.

Where do I send my resume?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Originally posted by Webmaster@Jan 19 2006, 03:28 PM

You are in the house

ENJOY!
    Flip two switches, wait inside the house about 5 minutes, then turn ONE of the switches off.

Go into the garage.

Light on = switch still in ON position
    Light off but warm = switch you turned OFF
    Light off but cold = switch you didn&#39;t turn on.

What do I win??

Edit: damn...earl beat me to it by seconds...arrgh.

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

I am filing a protest...

You never said that we could use a heat lamp bulb that would hold the heat until you arrived in the garage. Here in the friggid Northeast by the time you get to the garage the bulb would be cold again...

Raymond "If it doesn&#39;t say you can than you can&#39;t" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

>> What do I win??

umm an IT.com sticker?
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

Originally posted by Webmaster@Jan 19 2006, 08:28 AM

You are in the house

ENJOY!
    Amateurs.....

You flip them ALL on and go out and work on the race car.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

where does it say the shop is in the garage?

if it doesn&#39;t say the shop is in the garage, you can&#39;t assume it could be.

just because everybody does it doesn&#39;t mean it should be allowed!

talk about slippery slopes.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Nowhere does it say who else may or may not go in the garage. It says YOU may not re-enter the house, etc. . . ..

Buy a buddy a beer, have him stand in the door of the garage (shop, whatever) while you flip the switches and have him yell which one is on or off.

It also doesn&#39;t specify that all the lights are off (or on) when you start flipping the switches - so how do you know whether they were on or off to start with?

Ad infinitum.

If it were truly a GCR item it would read something like this:

RULES

Any undefined terms or phrasing in this document or any task given referring thereto shall be construed to have commonly accepted meaning.

Article 1.A.I.a:

You have a concrete block garage with one solid door, an opaque roof, and no windows or cracks through which light may pass. The door is closed. No one other than yourself is allowed to open the door, enter the garage, or peer inside for the purpose of determining illumintion.

You are in the house. Near the door to the house which is closest to the aforementioned garage, there are three light switches, each labeled "on" and "off". They are all correctly labeled and functioning correctly. Your wiring is correct, complete, installed in a professional manner, and meets the letter and intent of the most recently published National Electrical Code (subsequently referred to as the "NEC"). Electricity (of the correct voltage and sufficient current capacity) is provided to the "normally open" contact of each switch. You installed all the aforementioned wiring, and there is no one else who knows its routing, controls, or terminations.

Each of the aforementioned switches independently controls one and only one outlet in the aforementioned garage.

Three independent, properly functioning "lamps" (defined, in the glossary, as a complete unit, including switch, cord, plug, and housing - which when properly assembled provide a usable light source) are plugged into one of each of the aforementioned three outlets. Each lamp is equipped with an incandescent bulb which has been measured with a "hot filament" (see NEC) resistance of 150 ohms.

You may only leave the house only one time. Once you leave, you shall not re-enter. You may enter the garage only once. Once you enter you shall not leave.

There is no limit on the time required to complete any task based on these rules.

Any disagreement in the meaning of this article or of the performance of any task given thereunder may result in penalties up to and including disqualification. Any penalty, however, may be referred to a Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals shall consist of an independent panel of three persons, appointed by and selected from a pool of persons knowledgeable of these rules.

Task:

In compliance with these "rules" (as set forth in Article 1.A.I.a), determine exactly which of the aforementioned three switches controls each of the three aforementioned outlets.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Yes, I have too much free time at the moment.

you know... this forum is a heck of a lot more entertaining during the "off season".

I tend to go by the thought that the question didn&#39;t actually state that you could turn on or off a light bulb, much less heat one up. It stated that the switch&#39;s were conected to the 3 light bulbs.

To determine this within the context of the question (and thusly within the context of the GCR) one would need 3 multimeters with extra long leads, so that you could test each switch and bulb at the same time.

By using a tool to check a defined switch to bulb connection, you are not offering any advantage to one bulb over the other. There will be no "pre heating", all bulbs and switch&#39;s will be treated as "spec".
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I was just wondering if I could add a resistor into one of those circuits to better enhance my over the bench candlepower?

Can I move the harness???

Also, the housing around the bulb is causing an overheating problem so I plan on removing it and just going nekkid bulb, I also feel this will reduce drag around the bulb when the overhead door is open!

Any thoughts?

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

....you ask mattberg what the secret plot against your garage is and why do your neighbors all hate (and covet) your light bulbs?
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Originally posted by Doc Bro@Jan 20 2006, 07:02 AM
    I was just wondering if I could add a resistor into one of those circuits to better enhance my over the bench candlepower?

Can I move the harness???

Also, the housing around the bulb is causing an overheating problem so I plan on removing it and just going nekkid bulb, I also feel this will reduce drag around the bulb when the overhead door is open!

Any thoughts?

R
    [snapback]71366[/snapback]

Best response yet!

You people are demented.

I miss the IT crowd. :figo:

Rave on.

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

Originally posted by ITANorm@Jan 20 2006, 03:24 AM
    If it were truly a GCR item it would read something like this:
    RULES

Any undefined terms or phrasing in this document or any task given referring thereto shall be construed to have commonly accepted meaning.

Article 1.A.I.a:

You have a concrete block garage with one solid door, an opaque roof, and no windows or cracks through which light may pass. The door is closed. No one other than yourself is allowed to open the door, enter the garage, or peer inside for the purpose of determining illumintion.

You are in the house. Near the door to the house which is closest to the aforementioned garage, there are three light switches, each labeled "on" and "off". They are all correctly labeled and functioning correctly. Your wiring is correct, complete, installed in a professional manner, and meets the letter and intent of the most recently published National Electrical Code (subsequently referred to as the "NEC"). Electricity (of the correct voltage and sufficient current capacity) is provided to the "normally open" contact of each switch. You installed all the aforementioned wiring, and there is no one else who knows its routing, controls, or terminations.

Each of the aforementioned switches independently controls one and only one outlet in the aforementioned garage.

Three independent, properly functioning "lamps" (defined, in the glossary, as a complete unit, including switch, cord, plug, and housing - which when properly assembled provide a usable light source) are plugged into one of each of the aforementioned three outlets. Each lamp is equipped with an incandescent bulb which has been measured with a "hot filament" (see NEC) resistance of 150 ohms.

You may only leave the house only one time. Once you leave, you shall not re-enter. You may enter the garage only once. Once you enter you shall not leave.

There is no limit on the time required to complete any task based on these rules.

Any disagreement in the meaning of this article or of the performance of any task given thereunder may result in penalties up to and including disqualification. Any penalty, however, may be referred to a Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals shall consist of an independent panel of three persons, appointed by and selected from a pool of persons knowledgeable of these rules.

Task:

In compliance with these "rules" (as set forth in Article 1.A.I.a), determine exactly which of the aforementioned three switches controls each of the three aforementioned outlets.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Yes, I have too much free time at the moment.
    [snapback]71360[/snapback]
    Needs the following added "You are allowed three total switched...."
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I can see now, in retrospect, that niether Mark nor I are even remotely qualified to be rules makers. We completely read the problem, thought it through, called on our past experience and added a modicum of logical reflection, and came up with a simple, concise solution to the problem that would satisfy all involved.

My God, what were we thinking!
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Originally posted by erlrich@Jan 20 2006, 03:18 PM
    I can see now, in retrospect, that niether Mark nor I are even remotely qualified to be rules makers. We completely read the problem, thought it through, called on our past experience and added a modicum of logical reflection, and came up with a simple, concise solution to the problem that would satisfy all involved.

My God, what were we thinking!
    [snapback]71390[/snapback]

Well,
    Earl the beauty is that you see the error of your ways! While your thoughts were logical and well stated, your direction was way off.

Remember this, a mind once expanded shall never contract back to its original dimension.

Keep trying little grasshopper, you CAN do it!!!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Wait a minute!!! Wasn&#39;t this garage stuff covered in another thread? :119:

Of course, if you race a British car, you wouldn&#39;t have nor need lights. The glow from the electical shorts would light your path.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

in my shop i have a fuse panel that is labeled...simply shut each breaker off and note switch one two three...planning ahead and bask in the glory of victory!!!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Originally posted by charrbq@Jan 20 2006, 03:19 PM
    Wait a minute!!! Wasn&#39;t this garage stuff covered in another thread? :119:
    Of course, if you race a British car, you wouldn&#39;t have nor need lights. The glow from the electical shorts would light your path.
    [snapback]71461[/snapback]
    All hale Lucus, Prince of Darkness. In this case you&#39;d trace the switches by the distance of the escaped smoke from the respective wires.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter