Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new track

Thanks Dick and all involved. This is the best news I have heard in quite some time. Everyone down on your knees and pray that we dodge all the bullets and we get a new track.
    Chris

Well, we all know that there is no "there" there without the required permits.

I am assuming, and it's a big assumption, that the LLC has to be VERY confident that the required permits can be obtained, or that the sale agreement has as it's stipulation the successful procurement of the permits. Perhaps Dick can speak to the permit process, what's required, what the timing looks like and what the hurdles are.

Once the permits are obtained I would imagine that the fund raising would begin in earnest to acheive the needed level to obtain the parcel and make the improvements needed. Is that the case DicK?

Also, I know Tamworth is still struggling with a hostile town group that has really held their for profit project up. Are there any known groups in opposition to this project, or is it too early to tell?

Finally, is there a shot in hell of racing on our own pavement in 2008???

I can imagine the celebration that will erupt when the first green flag waves for the first race group!!!

This is REALLY exciting stuff!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Yahoooo!! This is great news!!

Dick, we all appreciate the work you, and the rest of the group put into this project.

I know it's not a done deal til the first car goes out, but so close..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

The point with a no spectator policy is that there does not have to be a infrastructure built in order to accommodate them, grandstands, parking, ect. A full spectator track has a much more significant negative impact on the community. In addition when you design a non-spectator track you don’t have to make the compromises in safety or track layout in order to provide viewing area. That said one of our major design criteria is to have a fun place to race. Part of that is having a significant portion of the track within view of the paddock are. Watching other race groups is the second best part of the weekend. And Dave with the track not focused on spectator income there is no reason for the club to hassle you about the number of crew or guest passes. Just because we would not be promoting spectators does not mean people who want to get involved will be turned away.

The site is about ten minutes from the Palmer Mass Pike exit 8. It is in the center of New England. I am guessing 1.5 hours to Boston, 2.5 hours to NYC, 2 hours to Albany.

We can’t move it to NH but there is a gun club across the street so that should make you feel at home.

If and when we are successful there will be investment opportunities for other clubs and enthusiasts.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Found the site, thanks to the gun club mention

Gotta say, it's freakin' huge.
    For those with Google Earth: 42°13'25"N, 72°17'00"W
    Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5+...31,0.028925&t=h

"Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

In the interest of speading misinformation, (KIDDING!) Here's a guess as to the parcels location and size...which looks to be a couple miles wide. Is this a good guess Dick? Sorry about the crudely drawn green border.
    Hint: click on the thumbnail to open, then hold mouse steady on lower right, until the enlarge icon appears, click on it for full size and easy readability. Scroll up or down as desired.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Dick--I do not think you could have found a more central location for New England.

Congrats and the best of luck going forward.

Just because we would not be promoting spectators does not mean people who want to get involved will be turned away.[/b]
    I figured that but the web info. made me question it a bit. Can we open it up this year and do some dirt racing? Yes, I'm kidding (somewhat).
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dick and everyone else involved; That is outstanding news and as noted before a great central location (no matter what Anthony would like). I am truely looking forward to more future updates on the progress being made.....John

Hey John... welcome to the IT site. This mean you got a new computer? Hope to see you at the track this summer.

I do agree that any new track is a bonus. At the very least, it will give us all more options for racing weekends.

Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Its about time I found my way here! Imagine 2 hours closer than LRP, we may even be able to convince you to drag your butt out of NH. I've just started reading "Gone", great book, can't put it down...(cheap plug for Anthony's wife Lisa Gardner's new book) I am curious, with that much land why would we limit ourselves to a 2 mile course?...John

Asphalt and development cost $$$$$...and lots of it, long courses are very difficult to staff, and there is a dire shortage of people to fill the flag stands, and I think that a track of that length is long enough to fit enough cars on, (50?) but not too long for most clubs. I think this track will be a "club" track as opposed to a "pro" track.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Good news, I think. I would gladly drive the additional distance in place of LRP if it delivers good club racing.

Question on sound - was that already indicated in discussions for permits or was that self imposed? How many of those 10 weekends are intended for SCCA utilization?

I mean if this is another track where the only open marque club racing that can occur is SCCA, it limits my enthusiasm somewhat. If it is just a further to travel LRP, not sure how excited I can get about it.

Out of curiousity when did everyone north of the Hudson river get so sensitive to sound?
    Ed.

The sound limits are self-imposed in the name of being a good neighbor. My guess is there will be several higher dB weekends available for other clubs. No one is suggesting we not race at LRP or NHIS so I cannot see SCCA using more than 5 or 6 dates as long as those tracks operate.

Sound is a big issue. The size of the site and the perfect topography allows to us not be a determent to the neighbors while still having room for an about 2 mile course and still leave a ½ mile from any houses.

If we all ran quieter we could have a longer track while still not offending people. Why in the world do we think people should put up with us as a noisy neighbor?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I don't know that they should - maybe more area is needed. Summit Point has at least three churches pretty close to it and other than no unmuffled motors running on Sunday for an hour (lunch) there doesn't seem to be any neighborly issues there. I put up with more noise on my property every week night in the summer from the little league field down the street and all of us including those that live around tracks put up with more noise from people mowing their lawns during the summer than they do from road racing. I guess it is my opinion the noise is made the issue, but in reality something else is the real issue, a track is going to have people speeding down my street, they don't understand, appreciate or like racing, or it is just human selfishness - if I am not part of it I don't want it near me.

I don't see communities having the same problems with sound south of the Hudson that I do north of it, in my observation.

If sound is such a problem make all weekends 89 db, at all SCCA events at least then I only need one tune for my car.
    Ed.

Ed, gotta say, thats a short sighted and rather self centric approach. If the SCCA decided to change the sound levels across the board, nearly all classification procedures would need to be looked at or adjusted, and that would impact a ton of people that don't need to be impacted. All cars can't make sound limits without drastically affecting horsepower.

ANY new track had better bend over backwards in the good neighbor department. Nobody wants new noise. The existing tracks often date back to a different time...and things change fast. Heck, parents of 60s kids used to toss 'em in the back of the Vette for a Sunday picnic, and think nothing of it! Fast forward 25 or so years, and if your kid is in the wrong seat of your car and isn't strapped to proper kiddie seat and that to a DOT mandated tether that can take a horizontal pull of 1900 pounds you're in deep doo doo! Times change, and society's tolerance levels do too. Lime Rock has had strict noise limits for a long time and they will only get worse.

Watkins Glen has, believe it or not, noise issues and curfews.

The Hudson, last I checked ran North/South, so I'm not sure what you mean by that "south of or north of" bit.

Any track anywhere near population will have extreme issues in many areas. The search for even a possible site in CT, RI, MASS, NH and VT has taken YEARS and has dozens upon dozens of false starts. I also think that the coasts will be more intolerant of things before those in the middle of the country will be.

Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

>> The Hudson, last I checked ran North/South

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

I put up with more noise on my property every week night in the summer from the little league field down the street [/b]
    When we first moved into our house, I heard my neighbor cranking his t.v. playing a football game. The noise just got louder and we became a bit annoyed. Does he really need to play that so darn loud? We went outside to check it out more, and it actually turned out that it was the town high school playing football with a band playing. (The field is located in a different spot than the school, thus some of the initial confusion.) After we learned it was the school, that noise was not nearly as annoying. Same general theory as little league (for most people at least) with kids playing. The type of noise does matter to townships regardless if it should or not. Evidentially it does to me too.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I put up with more noise on my property every week night in the summer from the little league field down the street .....
    [/b]
    Like Dave says, it's all subjective. While the sound of Harley running thru the gears makes some peole smile, it leaves me shaking my head at an old 30's tech flatulent lump of iron. Yecch. And lots feel the sound of the "clink" of an aluminum bat on a ball followed by the shouting of 12 year olds is music to their ears. I'd prefer the sound of wood on the ball, but it's great either way.

But the vast majority find the constant drone of unmusical 4 cylinders to be annoying for hours on end.

So far, they haven't come up with a system of quantifying the type of noise and its resultant annoyance factor, rather than the amount of noise. Which is probably better for us as racers.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

>> The Hudson, last I checked ran North/South

[/b]
    Correct - always thought of as points on the other side of it as north of me - so I stand corrected points east of the longitude generally followed by the Hudson still on the continental US.

On the others exactly my point - it isn't the volume, its whether or not they associate with the source as being acceptable. And on the large area on my side of the Hudson it doesn't seem to be nearly the problem it is on the other. And a race is anything but a drone (rpms and loads change) and it is music - a lawn mower or leaf blower is a drone.

Oh well, didn't want to drag on about it - my question was answered it was self imposed rather than something given up in negotiating to get something (like spectators).

Allocation of those days will be interesting to see though.
    Ed.