Thread: 944 Vacuum system

I just removed the charcoal cannister and figured it's about time to ditch most of the vacuum system. I'm not using anything for the heater system and I guess all I really need vacuum for is the brake booster and the fuel pressure regulators.

Can I just vent the fuel vent ot atmosphere? Or should I plug it?

I don't understand the 944 vac system at all and have not had much luck with the diagrams. Any hints on what can be cut out, and what should not be cut out?

What about venting the crank case - straight to a catch can? Is it necessary to have vacuum in the crank case vent?

TIA

Tim B.
    timo

Originally posted by timo944@Jan 5 2006, 03:56 AM
    I just removed the charcoal cannister and figured it's about time to ditch most of the vacuum system. I'm not using anything for the heater system and I guess all I really need vacuum for is the brake booster and the fuel pressure regulators.

Can I just vent the fuel vent ot atmosphere? Or should I plug it?

I don't understand the 944 vac system at all and have not had much luck with the diagrams. Any hints on what can be cut out, and what should not be cut out?

What about venting the crank case - straight to a catch can? Is it necessary to have vacuum in the crank case vent?

TIA

Tim B.
    [snapback]70113[/snapback]
    Tim, I've gotten a lot of help with my 944 on Clark's Garage. It's a web site for the 944/924. www.clarks-garage.com

Good luck,
    Vince

Yeah I've checked i tout, but there is a std vacuum system drawing and not much else. I have an answer about the crank case vent so i'm half way there. Thanks
    timo

Originally posted by timo944@Jan 13 2006, 03:00 AM
    I have an answer about the crank case vent so i'm half way there. Thanks
    [snapback]70829[/snapback]
    So what did you do with the crank case vent?

I removed the cannister and the valve in the engine bay on my 924S and sometimes gas would spill out of the filler neck, new gas cap helped but was still a problem if the fuel level was too high.

R.L. Mitchell
    R.L. Mitchell
    Honorary
    SARRC Invitational Challenge
    "Pinball"

Hey RL

Haven't done anyhting yet, but I'm thinking about ditching the PCA ride in favor of an SCCA spec car. After that "incident" at Roebling I got PO'd.

I think you're problem may be that the vent line from the fuel tank is capped. It needs to be open and vent to the outside world. I was thinking of running a new line out the back of the car with either a small aftermarket charcoal filter or a mini air filter attached.

tim
    timo