Thread: Spherical "Bushings"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This one has to be argued on what the intent was. I doubt anybody's replacements are legal according to the verbage in the rulebook whether they're a spherical bearing or not (no "dimensional" allowance). The rule needs clarified or rewritten. I'm willing to bet the intent was to allow them. Go forth with the protest.
    katman

Katman -- were you around when the rule was written? I'm curious if it was just to allow the poly bushings you can get for any car or if the idea was to allow sphericals. You know anything about the genesis of this?

I agree on one thing -- healthy debate. Interesting topic too.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Originally posted by kthomas@Jan 4 2006, 05:49 PM
    This one has to be argued on what the intent was. I doubt anybody's replacements are legal according to the verbage in the rulebook whether they're a spherical bearing or not (no "dimensional" allowance). The rule needs clarified or rewritten. I'm willing to bet the intent was to allow them. Go forth with the protest.
    [snapback]70090[/snapback]
    I don't know the original intent, but I could conceive of how they could very well be the original intent depending upon when the rule was made to allow alternate material.

Huh, you say?

Well, urethane bushings are common today, but were they when the rule was changed. Perhaps they were allowed because only a handful of cars had urethane bushings available? If that was the case, SBs would be one way to make an allowance for all cars that would be relatively equal.

Greg and I have discussed this privately before and I know he thinks I'm nuts (hi Greg ). For the record, I do think they are legal. I'm not so sure they should be, but like Kirk, I don't see how to define a line between stock and SBs. Also for the record, I would like nothing better than to not have to spend the cash on SBs if they are illegal.

Lastly, I am the one who wrote to Sven quite some time about about SBs and he stated that they are in fact legal. As Greg and others have noted, this is not the definitive ruling, so take it for what it's worth. I can try to find the e-mail, but I think it goes back so far that it must be on my old computer.

I'm OK with it if they are illegal and I'm OK with it if they are legal. Just so we all have the same interpretation.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by Geo@Jan 4 2006, 09:49 PM
    I'm OK with it if they are illegal and I'm OK with it if they are legal. Just so we all have the same interpretation.
    [snapback]70104[/snapback]
    I am with you there 100%.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967