I was reading the protest thread a few minutes ago, and it was somewhat illuminating. But not enough. Here's a situation I'd like you folks to evaulate and relate how you would handle it. The time is long past where I could have lodged a protest, if I had standing at all, so this is a hypothetical in some respects but it's a real event.

At a race weekend last year (2004), there were two regional races for my class, and an enduro that also included my class. My brother and I were registered for and ran the enduro (as co-drivers), but not the regionals. The other driver was registered for, and ran, the regionals but not the enduro. (It wasn't the ARRC, wasn't even Road Atlanta)

There's a particular driver in our class who consistently runs "too fast" for the class. In fact, he consistently "pulls" mid- to front-pack cars in higher level classes in the same run group on the straights, which none of the other competitors in the class can do, even after large amounts of time on the dyno tuning their cars in some cases.

When working corners, both my brother and I and other corner workers have noticed that his exhaust smells "strange" during practice and qualifying, and sometimes during the race, though rarely. It smells like an aromatic hydrocarbon or similar compound that's not gasoline or the usual additives. It's very distinct; almost impossible to miss, though hard to localize since he's usually in a group of cars. It took us about six weekends of working corners to be sure which car was emitting the smell.

On the weekend in question, the enduro was on Monday, while the regionals were on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, just before the race for that run group, while he was prepping his car for the race, I personally watched him pour a gallon or two of something orange into his gas tank. It looked a lot like the orange antifreeze. I'm not going to go into details, because I don't want to make an accusation here without backing. But I'll say that I can be absolutely certain that it was going into the gas tank, not into the cooling system or anywhere else.

So, here I am, a personal witness to what I believed to be an infraction, but I had no other witnesses, I wasn't a party to the race in question, which presents serious questions about my standing to lodge a protest, at least in my mind, and the car passed the post-race tech, which might or might not have included fuel testing. (I wasn't there to observe the post-race tech)

What would you have done? What do you think I should've done?