Thread: Need Help From AE86 Guys

Hey guys. I was wondering if the AE86 folks out there could lend me a hand. Im looking for a baseline suspension set-up for my TE72 ITB car. Basically I can use all of the AE86 suspension components, and while the chassis isnt exacly the same as the AE86, its pretty close. Thus, I was wondering if I could get numbers for spring rates, cam settings, sway bar sizes, etc, etc. Like I said, this is just for a baseline to get me in the ballpark. I can tweak from there to suit my chassis. Thanks for the assist!

Ryan

Oh, one more thing, does anyone have a line on some used Supra 15x6 wheels? Id like to use those to start off with in ITB. Thanks again!
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Formerly building ITB Corolla
    Now building ???

"I remember the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'"

Originally posted by Jiveslug@Dec 29 2005, 05:52 PM
    Hey guys. I was wondering if the AE86 folks out there could lend me a hand. Im looking for a baseline suspension set-up for my TE72 ITB car. Basically I can use all of the AE86 suspension components, and while the chassis isnt exacly the same as the AE86, its pretty close. Thus, I was wondering if I could get numbers for spring rates, cam settings, sway bar sizes, etc, etc. Like I said, this is just for a baseline to get me in the ballpark. I can tweak from there to suit my chassis. Thanks for the assist!

Ryan

Oh, one more thing, does anyone have a line on some used Supra 15x6 wheels? Id like to use those to start off with in ITB. Thanks again!
    [snapback]69477[/snapback]

Well, if its US IT, the AE86 stuff wouldn't be legal would it? Aside from that, opinions are all over the map. A former SCCA prez drove one (I have it) and he ran only 200lb front and 175 rear springs with a stock front sway bar and an adjustable rear. Tires and top speed have improved since then, and I've had to go around 300 in the front to keep the bodywork off the tires. I kept the rear springs and swaybar as it was, but replaced urethane bushings for the bar with custom machined delrin ones. I also put a slightly bigger front bar on. The car simply wont take too much rear stiffness, or it gets squirley. (cam settings?). I have TRD adjustable shocks in the back (will eventually go Koni) and Tockio Illuminas in the front set full hard (MR2 Rear fitment) in short struts. This car doesn't really need short struts, but....

Go to the classified forum at http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/ and check. If non are listed post a want and I bet you will have more offers than you can count. Supra L-type wheels are not that popular. Many L-type owners are looking for the P-type (14X7) wheels and are willing to part with theirs. They just don't list them because of the low demand.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Originally posted by jhooten@Dec 30 2005, 02:26 PM
    Go to the classified forum at http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/ and check. If non are listed post a want and I bet you will have more offers than you can count. Supra L-type wheels are not that popular. Many L-type owners are looking for the P-type (14X7) wheels and are willing to part with theirs. They just don't list them because of the low demand.
    [snapback]69563[/snapback]

Nice!! Thanks for the help!

As far as the AE86 parts are concerned, what I mean is I can mount the aftermarket struts, shocks, coilovers, etc designed for the AE86 and still be within the allowable modification for IT suspension. Ground Control and Paradise Racing make coilover sets for the TE72 as well. Paradise racing says 250# spring rates for all 4 corners, but that seems a bit soft to me (doesnt say if that is for street or race, Im guessing street). Any other thoughts anyone?
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Best help I can offer is that on my MR2 I'm running 350 / 450. Of course, that's at 2370# plus.

From my old (1990) TRD catalog, and as best as I can decipher the codes (they don't really give rates on the springs for that model) the TRD "race" fronts were ~260 and the rears ~220.

Now, for the silly question . . .. When did they readmit the 80-83 TE's to ITB? The earlier and later ones with the 2TC / 3TC were ITC, and the '87 with the 4AF as well as the 4AG-powered FWD FX (AE82/89) are ITB. Did they just leave it out of the GCR (I know they USED to be IT? Was it a FasTrack thing, or is it just your area?

Hey Norm. Actually, the TE72s were still classed last year, but they were accidentally omitted from the 2005 GCR. In the, I believe, April Fastrack, the error was corrected and the spec-line was added back in. They were never actually removed from ITB, however. I know the 2006 GCR has them in it (believe me, I checked. Hehe).
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Now building ???

Best help I can offer is that on my MR2 I'm running 350 / 450. Of course, that's at 2370# plus.

From my old (1990) TRD catalog, and as best as I can decipher the codes (they don't really give rates on the springs for that model) the TRD "race" fronts were ~260 and the rears ~220.

Now, for the silly question . . .. When did they readmit the 80-83 TE's to ITB? The earlier and later ones with the 2TC / 3TC were ITC, and the '87 with the 4AF as well as the 4AG-powered FWD FX (AE82/89) are ITB. Did they just leave it out of the GCR (I know they USED to be IT? Was it a FasTrack thing, or is it just your area?
    [/b]
    If thats the TRD catalog with the Corolla pics in it, thats my car.. I had the springs rated, and the rears are only 175. I tried to go stiffer and it oversteered a lot.. I started with 200lb and am up to 300 now in the front.

For an AE86 we have 8kg/mm (450LBS/in)in front and 6kg/mm (337LBS/in)in the rear

Thanks,

Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665