Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89-91 CRX

I am shopping for a 89-91 CRX which I am going to convert to a track car. I know it is more money to build the car rather than buy one built, but I want to do it myself.

I am looking at a car that has the B18 engine in it. Does that exclude it from IT?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by raffaelli@Dec 25 2005, 04:36 PM
    I am shopping for a 89-91 CRX which I am going to convert to a track car. I know it is more money to build the car rather than buy one built, but I want to do it myself.
    I am looking at a car that has the B18 engine in it. Does that exclude it from IT?
    [snapback]69180[/snapback]
    Yes, that will exclude your car...you are going to find that IT cars are classed as they come from the factory.

Before you buy & start building, I strongly suggest that you download and read the rules and car classifications.

The GCR (General Competition Rules)
    http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2006.pdf
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

There are two "dumbest" things a future racer can do...

1. Go racing.
    2. Build a car and then try to find a class for it.

The rulebook is at scca.com. Read it 5 times before you buy or build anything. Not even a wheel or tire.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Originally posted by Knestis@Dec 26 2005, 02:12 AM
    http://www.it2.evaluand.com/recipe.php

K
    [snapback]69184[/snapback]

Thank you. That is pretty much how I am going to go about it.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by Gregg@Dec 25 2005, 10:25 PM
    Yes, that will exclude your car...you are going to find that IT cars are classed as they come from the factory.

Before you buy & start building, I strongly suggest that you download and read the rules and car classifications.

The GCR (General Competition Rules)
    http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2006.pdf
    [snapback]69182[/snapback]
    I have a copy of the rules. I saw the passage that the engine had to be available as an option when the car was new.

I have heard so many conflicting stories about which engines were 'options' at that time.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by Catch22@Dec 26 2005, 01:06 AM
    There are two "dumbest" things a future racer can do...

1. Go racing.
    2. Build a car and then try to find a class for it.

The rulebook is at scca.com. Read it 5 times before you buy or build anything. Not even a wheel or tire.
    [snapback]69183[/snapback]

I certainly intend to do #1

As for #2, well, I am trying to avoid that. Finding a bone stock CRX has been a bit of a chore.

Thank you.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by raffaelli@Dec 26 2005, 12:12 PM
    I have heard so many conflicting stories about which engines were 'options' at that time.
    [snapback]69210[/snapback]
    Fair enough...

If it helps, I can assure you that no B-series motor was ever sold from the factory in the US in a CRX or Civic prior to 1992.

CRX Si: D16A6
    CRX (DX): D15B2
    CRX HF: D15B6

http://www.crxsi.com/specs.htm (Note that the "DOHC" and "VTEC" were never sold in the US)

The first two are ITA cars though hopefully the CRX (DX) will someday be moved to ITB where it belongs. The HF is currently classified as an ITB car though it probably belongs in ITC (or lower).

Good luck with your build. As someone who also built from the ground up I can assure you that it's a great learning experience. Would I have been far less broke w/ a comparable car if I had just bought instead of building? Absolutely.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Originally posted by Gregg@Dec 26 2005, 06:01 PM
    Fair enough...

If it helps, I can assure you that no B-series motor was ever sold from the factory in the US in a CRX or Civic prior to 1992.

CRX Si: D16A6
    CRX (DX): D15B2
    CRX HF: D15B6

http://www.crxsi.com/specs.htm (Note that the "DOHC" and "VTEC" were never sold in the US)

The first two are ITA cars though hopefully the CRX (DX) will someday be moved to ITB where it belongs. The HF is currently classified as an ITB car though it probably belongs in ITC (or lower).

Good luck with your build. As someone who also built from the ground up I can assure you that it's a great learning experience. Would I have been far less broke w/ a comparable car if I had just bought instead of building? Absolutely.
    [snapback]69217[/snapback]
    Thank you!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

The HF was moved to ITC last year.
    If someone can figure out how to make power with that 8 valve... Watch out.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Originally posted by Catch22@Dec 26 2005, 03:40 PM
    The HF was moved to ITC last year.
    If someone can figure out how to make power with that 8 valve... Watch out.
    [snapback]69219[/snapback]
    If it was then we need to submit an O&A...It's listed in the '06 GCR under ITB (ITCS - 35).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I'm pretty sure it was in a fastrack last year.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Originally posted by Catch22@Dec 26 2005, 08:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure it was in a fastrack last year.
    [snapback]69231[/snapback]
    Nope. I just love how the latest version of Acrobat will do a text search against all PDF's in a folder for ya. Only CRX/IT-related stuff found was the 1st gen Si / Civic Si move to ITB and your rejected requests to move the EF CRX std. / Civic DX to ITB.

Looks like the snail is still a B car.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

How does a 95 DX hatch stack up or a 91 DX? DX not have enough power?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by raffaelli@Dec 26 2005, 08:57 PM
    How does a 95 DX hatch stack up or a 91 DX? DX not have enough power?
    [snapback]69234[/snapback]
    Since they are still classed in ITA you will be at an extreme disadvantage. These throttle body-injected cars make about 15hp less than the Si's from the factory (at about the same weight) and there is precious little that you can do to get more out of them vs. other platforms (like the Si). They might make decent cars for ITB if they ever get classed there.

I wouldn't recommend building until they are out of ITA. As Catch22 will tell you, though, the Civic Std (same as the DX but with a 4-spd) make for a pretty decent ITC car.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Hi Raffaelli
    Welcome to ITA. ? Do you have racing expereince?
    Your pick of an CRX is Great. I drive one now. Fast. But I bought a fast car somebody else built and spent monies on. If you ask anybody who has built a car you better have lots of knowledge beyond the book to get this done. It could cost as much as 15,000-25,000 said and done. So buying a as built is good thinking. Greg is well know for his thoughts. and a fast driver. Just food for thought but hey good luck. Buy lots of asprin.
    Scott NER CRXsi #07 NER
    <span style="font-family:Impact">Scott CRX NER ITA #0</span>

Hi Scott,

I have a few years of track day experience in my E46M3. I have worked on a few pit crews....that is it for actual race experience.......

The cost is not really a concern. I will pick at it till I am happy...then bring it to the track. I do not need to be on the podium tomorrow. As long as my family and I are having fun with it.....cost becomes second.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Originally posted by Gregg@Dec 27 2005, 02:34 AM
    Since they are still classed in ITA you will be at an extreme disadvantage. These throttle body-injected cars make about 15hp less than the Si&#39;s from the factory (at about the same weight) and there is precious little that you can do to get more out of them vs. other platforms (like the Si). They might make decent cars for ITB if they ever get classed there.

I wouldn&#39;t recommend building until they are out of ITA. As Catch22 will tell you, though, the Civic Std (same as the DX but with a 4-spd) make for a pretty decent ITC car.
    [snapback]69241[/snapback]

Thank you. That is kind of what I figured. Seems to me that there are more drivers at LRP (I am only 25 miles away) in ITA. So I would like to target that class.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Well the car is purchased.

I have been tooling it around town.

91 CRX Si, near bone stock. Some aftermaket arms, sportline springs, agx. Original engine.

Looking forward to building it.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Hi Thats cool.
    Good luck Good Luck/
    Now that you have comited to it. You should see if there is anyone near you that would be willing to alow you to at least look at their car. I know that a guy named joe in Penn has a car for sale and has lots of picks. first thing is strip it. Now that you can add NASCAR bars on both sides rip out the door to rules. Remove all inside stuff. Get rid of the cad get a race header Hawk blue brake pads stock in rear works fine. Cheak all hubs and bearings for safty. don`t worry about a MSD. These cars run well close to stock. a rear sway bar. great cage, brakes diff/LSD. shocks. remove cad. new exhaust. gauges. shocks springs. fuel reg. comp for now is fine just the limitor. secure everthing. Fire Ex. find a mirrior that fits. I use a Stock car wide mirrior works great see everything in the blind spot to the back left. good seat is important. I use valvoline syn brake fluid.
    Asump pump is needed. brack ducts. A fuel cell is an option for now wait. I`ve seen these cars rear ended at a 90 with no problem with the tank. Again good cage behind the driver. Contact Blanny for parts and help. Just remeber you don`t have to put the kitchen sink on it yet just get it going then add . You will find lots of ways to speed more money. Be sides who said racing is cheap.
    Hope this helps a little good luck and hope to see it in NHIS for the school. You do plan to race by april?
    Scott CRXsi 89 #07 Yellow and purple stripes ITA NER
    <span style="font-family:Impact">Scott CRX NER ITA #0</span>