View Poll Results: Yes or No to closing this thread?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, While painful, we need to sort this out.

17 32.08%
  • Yes, close it. This is not an intelligent discussion.

36 67.92%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jekyll Secret Meeting

I hesitate to even post this, but perhaps it will succeed in moving MattBerg's tirades from the General Discussion to the SEDIV area where they belong.

The reason no one answers you Matt, is because you DON'T LISTEN! You seize on one mistatement or misquote and shout from the rooftops that the black helicopters are swarming and life (or at least racing) as we know it today will cease to exist. You overreact, but that's part of the process.

Truth:

In the past month, all the RE's and anyone they want to bring (like Competition Directors, of which I am one) have been invited to a private, non-business gathering at Jekyll separate from the SEDIV events at the Holiday Inn. The purpose of this gathering is to discuss issues that we each face in a social atmosphere that should be more conducive to actually listening to and getting to know each other. No proposals will be offered, no motions will be made, no votes will be taken, no SEDIV business will be conducted and no SEDIV monies are being spent on this.

For the record, neither Barry Hair nor anyone from the Alabama region is organizing this gathering.

Opinion (mine, of course):

I wouldn't have done it this way, but it's not my meeting and I don't know all the reasons behind choosing this format. Perhaps the organizers felt an informal gathering would allow the RE's to let their guard down a bit and REALLY discuss what's on their minds rather that posturing for their members (sorta like the private summit conferences where the real work is done behind the scenes vs. the public ones where people beat on the table with their shoe).

I'm a bit uncomfortable attending because of it's "secret" nature and thought about skipping it, but that does a disservice to my region. I will attend, I will express my opinions about the challenges faced by both Atlanta Region and SEDIV, I will listen to the same from other regions and I will certainly form an opinion about ways that we may meet some of those challenges.

As much as I hate to agree with Matt, I think part of the problems we face in SEDIV is that we have too many regions in Area 12. I don't know the history of why they exist, so perhaps from this gathering I can gain a better understanding of that.

Personally I think we should drop all mileage and "consecutive weekend" restrictions and let the marketplace decide who survives and who doesn't - the problem WILL fix itself eventually. The GCR and SARRC rules do not allow this, however, and making such change is a bigger challenge than I'm willing to take on right now. Working to build GTA as a SARRC class and taking on the Competition Director position in Atlanta Region fills my plate.

As the driver of a big car, Roebling Road is my third least-favorite track that I've raced upon (Barber is the worst and Mid-Ohio close behind). A couple of years ago I floated the idea of rotating the SIC among multiple tracks and it was voted down by a majority of the SARRC drivers. Apparently the central location and/or track familiarity is more important to most of our participants. I will race at Roeling in 2006, but only because I need to in order to have a chance of winning the SARRC championship.

Finally, I will trot out what Matt calls the "volunteer chip". Like it or not, the SCCA IS a volunteer organization. Perhaps there are in fact power-hungry overlords whose only reason for holding a position is to satisfy their massive egos, but in my experience most of the elected and appointed officials are concerned about doing what's right for SCCA first. If you have a problem with one or more of these people, regular elections are held for all positions within SCCA. Run for an office, get your like-minded friends to vote for you and change things. SEDIV and/or SCCA may very well crumble under it's own weight tomorrow, but until then we STILL have the best amateur Solo & racing programs out there.

Let the banging and clanging begin, I'm done...

Butch Kummer
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Butch, I agreee that the volunteers that support our Divisional competition series in the SEDIV have established and support the strongest Divisional series in the country.
    Rants like that going on in the General Discussion area hurt the efforts of us volunteers. Who would wish to work 17 weekends per year (as I did in 2005) to support a club as bad as those ranting describe?
    The RE that is being attacked there was recently reelected as RE by the members of his region. I know he spends a few hundred hours a year supporting road racing (works corners, race chair, etc.) It hurts our all-volunteer club racing efforts to see any volunteer be subjected to the attempted intimidation, even physical threats expressed in that tirade.
    I hope your efforts to clear things up here will help.
    Bill

Originally posted by Butch Kummer@Dec 22 2005, 02:45 PM

Personally I think we should drop all mileage and "consecutive weekend" restrictions and let the marketplace decide who survives and who doesn't - the problem WILL fix itself eventually. The GCR and SARRC rules do not allow this, however, and making such change is a bigger challenge than I'm willing to take on right now.

Butch Kummer
    [snapback]68955[/snapback]
    Butch, that is the smartest idea I have heard on this subject to date. Hopefully several other will read this and feel the same way.

thanks
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Butch,

I don't disagree with anything you've siad but the problem is that Barry and some of his friends are out of control. Even members of his own region are saying so and one has even left the region as the result of Barry's outlandish claims and comments. He has been identified as stating that he intends to get Fred Schmucker, Toni Creighton and Jim Creighton removed from the SEDIV. That's just a crazy man talking. And now you want us to trust that this guy is not up to something? He's lied on more than one occasion and the last one I caught him in silenced him entirely. Thank God for that because it seems every time he opens his mouth he's either twisting the truth or just flat out lying. I just have a hard time ignoring all of this and accepting that everything's hunky dory.

Couple of simple questions for you as an aside. Who is paying for the Jeckyll Island Club? Someone has to be organizing it? They've got rooms reserved and a meeting room arranged. Why when we have a full compliment of facilities at the Holiday Inn paid for and unused is this meeting taking place three hous before registration on the other side of town, BTW, in a very expensive alternate location? (They quoted me a price of $219 a night versus the $49 rate at the Holiday Inn). I believe that's where Barry is staying. I'll be at the Holiday Inn because I don't have Alabama region kinda' money. Speaking of which, I made my hotel reservation through Jim Creighton who is organizing this convention. Why does he know of no meeting at the Jeckyll Island Club? Some things just aren't adding up other than the wasteful spending.
    The majority shall rule.

Butch

A little off topic here but I sure would be in favor of rotating the SIC, maybe we could address that again in 06?
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Originally posted by Fastfred92@Dec 22 2005, 05:26 PM
    Butch

A little off topic here but I sure would be in favor of rotating the SIC, maybe we could address that again in 06?
    [snapback]68985[/snapback]
    Now there's a topic worth having a meeting on.

GO FLORIDA and NORTH CAROLINA!

...and ALABAMA drivers, you're welcome to join us anytime!
    The majority shall rule.

I'm having a party in my pants, and NONE of you guys are invited.

[email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Originally posted by Catch22@Dec 22 2005, 06:08 PM
    [snapback]69031[/snapback]
    So that means you don't want anyone to "give you a hand"?
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

Originally posted by Catch22@Dec 22 2005, 11:08 PM
    [snapback]69031[/snapback]
    Is Barry there?
    The majority shall rule.

Originally posted by Mattberg@Dec 22 2005, 08:08 PM
    Is Barry there?
    [snapback]69038[/snapback]
    You're kind of hung up on the Barry thing.
    Is there anything you want to tell us?
    Are you jealous that Barry might be invited to my pants party?

Anyway, Barry is cute and all, but I only invite the Laydeees to my pants parties.

[email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Rotating the SIC sounds like an interesting idea. I think I'd sign up for that. Roebling is fun, but man it's a tire shredder. Wonder why people voted down the idea. I could see the Florida people not liking it since they'd probably have a longer haul to just about any other track not in Florida.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Rotating the SIC has its advantages, but some disadvantages, too. The reason the Runoffs is in one location for years at a time is for continuity. If you know the circus is coming to town each year at the same time, then motels, grocery stores, parts stores, community facilities can prepare. Personally, I like the idea that I can find a good motel and retain it each time I'm at a track. Gives me more time to do the race thing.
    However, a new track each year gives more regions and tracks a chance at a piece of the pie. Maybe it would be an idea to have the SIC rotate every five years or so. I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, but maybe not.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Having been around SEDiv for a long time, the reason that the SIC is at Savanah is because it was thought that by holding it in a very central location, drivers from all over SEDiv would be able to compete at the race. Y'all have perhaps noticed that some drivers race in Fla. and some stay in Carolina, and only at the SIC do the twain meet. Howl for rotation all y'all want, but for the forseeable future it will probably remain at Roebling(a track I just loathe).

Russ
    Russ

Just for you naysayers out there who believed everything Barry Hair was selling, guess what? It came out at the Homestead National that the Friday meeting DOES have an agenda and is NOT just a cocktail party. Barry's going around trying to get all the little non-racing regions to use their vote. You're a sneaky guy Barry. Keep it up but one of those RE's of one of those little regions doesn't like what you're doing either and got the info to me at Homestead. How can you be such a sneaky corrupt self serving egotist in a club? Remember, it's a club? Sheeesh. Anyway you're little secret is out. I'll see you Friday. Rumor is you don't even want the new director there, KP Jones. You will be fought and your lies exposed. When we do I am pushing part of our club's bylaws about ethics and behavior and make sure you are ousted for good by National. You are a sad little man.
    The majority shall rule.

DAMMIT!! Somebody has a better garage than me!!!! DAMMIT!!!!!! DAMMIT!!!

Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 16 2006, 01:21 AM
    DAMMIT!! Somebody has a better garage than me!!!! DAMMIT!!!!!! DAMMIT!!!
    [snapback]70977[/snapback]
    Apparently, someone thinks that all the good garages are in Florida, and that's where they want to keep them. They want no one else to have a garage for fear that all the cool people will leave them and go to the new garage. Sad, very sad.

Soon they may find that no one wants to be in their garage, because they ran them all away. Maybe they'll get what they want...their own garage where they can be the boss of anyone they want...if anyone wants them to be their boss. Then they can look out the door of their garage and curse the world and the people around them that want their own garage. And they will feel like they have the best garage in the world, when really, it's just another garage.

Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

What a bunch of jackasses. One guy in Alabama wants to be king of a small pond and you guys support him with sarcasm. Wait till you have nowhere to race or crappy races with six cars. Bunch of retards. Take your garage and shove it. All we asked for is that assholes like Barry don't try and take ours away. I've had enough of you losers who want to protect officials at the cost of racers. You're obviously not real racers or you would be as outraged as a lot of us are. Keep typing. I'm coming off of three races in five weeks and my hands are tired from something more than typing.

Go Florida!
    The majority shall rule.

Originally posted by Mattberg@Jan 15 2006, 11:04 PM
    ........ and my hands are tired from something more than typing.

Fu*k Alabama! Go Florida!
    [snapback]70991[/snapback]
    What more needs to be said???
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by Mattberg@Jan 15 2006, 08:25 PM
    When we do I am pushing part of our club's bylaws about ethics and behavior and make sure you are ousted for good by National.
    [snapback]70971[/snapback]
    I am not sure if this coming from matt is funny or just sad.

Kind of like Ted Kennedy lecturing people on personal behavior.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Are the Fla. RE's not invited? Are they not going to be at this oh so SECRET meeting. Will thet not be there to put forth their views. Matt, do you have no representation coming from the sunshine state? We have heard from various officials with various points of view, and no one from the tourist lands have been heard from, or if we have, they kept their identity a mystery,(if they haven't, my mistake). If Fla(Matt) wants to take their(his) ball and go home, let them, I looked at the SEDiv schedule,and there are already many overlapping weekends. We already HAVE two divs in SEDiv. I would much rather go to VIR (where camping is allowed) than to Daytona(where they run you out at 6:00 pm).

Russ
    Russ