Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a few good tools

Originally posted by Jake@Dec 24 2005, 06:53 PM
    FWIW - most useful tools EVER:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...subcat=Wrenches
    [snapback]69159[/snapback]
    What Jake said! Those ratchet box-ends are the best!

If you don't have the SAE stuff you look awfully silly asking your neighbor for a the tools to fix your lawnmower or dishwasher when your hobbie is wrenching.

Tools are an investment. Just like getting a drivers suit you like & fits is. If you're going to go racing, you will be needing tools, just like you need your helmet. Take care of them, loan them out carefully and you will only buy them once. Some of my kit are tools that my dad gave me when I was in 8th grade.

9 times out of 10 buying the Craftsman grade stuff is so little more money than the cheapo stuff that you'd be silly not to just get the good ones. This does not always apply to big stuff like the 1" drill bit that you need to use for 2 holes.

Originally posted by Jake@Dec 24 2005, 06:53 PM
    FWIW - most useful tools EVER:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...subcat=Wrenches
    [snapback]69159[/snapback]
    This one drops the 11 mm that I never use and adds 17 mm that I use all the time.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...000&tab=spe#tab
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Also,don't forget that Sears offers a lifetime replacement warranty on handtools.
    I've replaced tools up to 20 yrs. old, that I've done horrible things to.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

http://www.toptul-usa.com/

try these guys too.......they make some great stuff. I've won a few sets of tools from them.

They are one of sponsors for the East Coast honda Challenge in NASA....
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Originally posted by loopracing@Dec 25 2005, 01:18 AM
    Also,don't forget that Sears offers a lifetime replacement warranty on handtools.
    I've replaced tools up to 20 yrs. old, that I've done horrible things to.
    [snapback]69169[/snapback]
    Read the fine print, though. Turns out that Craftsman tools such as torque wrenches have limited warranty, not lifetime!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

While we are on the subject of tools. Does anyone know where I can get a ratchet hex drive 5.5 mm?

My Craftsman's allen wrench set has a 5.5mm in it. I would like to get a 5.5mm 3'8" drive allen wrench so it would be easier to install and remove the studs from the 1st gen brake disks. I have looked everywhere to include but not limited to SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, K-mart, Wall Mart, Jap junk, China junk, India junk, etc., to no avail. There has got to be one made somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Depends ont eh size of the stud. If its late model like my street car there is nothing that will work on an M14 stud. But for say and m12 stud have you looked at this http://store.autotoolexpress.com/ass100-12.html

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Originally posted by Festus E. Simkins@Dec 27 2005, 12:28 PM
    While we are on the subject of tools. Does anyone know where I can get a ratchet hex drive 5.5 mm?

My Craftsman's allen wrench set has a 5.5mm in it. I would like to get a 5.5mm 3'8" drive allen wrench so it would be easier to install and remove the studs from the 1st gen brake disks. I have looked everywhere to include but not limited to SnapOn, Mac, Craftsman, K-mart, Wall Mart, Jap junk, China junk, India junk, etc., to no avail. There has got to be one made somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    [snapback]69287[/snapback]

Festus,

You might just have to make that one. Can you get a 5.5mm socket, or the SAE equivalent? Looks like a 7/32 is going to be real close (.21875" vs .2165" for 5.5mm). Maybe you can get a 7/32" allen-head socket, but it might be a tad snug.

If you can't, take a piece of the 5.5mm allen wrench, cut it off, and use some J-B Weld to 'glue' it in the 7/32 socket. Ta-da, you have your 5.5mm allen-head socket.

I've done similar stuff w/ ball-end allen wrenches. You can't get those in sockets, but most allen-head sockets have a small set screw, so you can change the allen wrench part.

HTH

Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 27 2005, 12:44 PM
    Depends ont eh size of the stud. If its late model like my street car there is nothing that will work on an M14 stud. But for say and m12 stud have you looked at this http://store.autotoolexpress.com/ass100-12.html

[snapback]69290[/snapback]

$40 + shipping for a stud remover? :119:

Us cheap racers use a double nut!!! (here come the jokes!).

The 7/32 is not tight enough and it strips, thats what I tried to use on my M14 studs, its fine for putting them in and getting them to tq, but pulling them it stripped.

I figure 40 bucks for a took that would make stud removal and replacement a snap is well worth the price. figure how often you replace wheel bearings and hubs on VW's wouldnt it be nice to be able to reuse your studs a few times rather then replacing them every single time?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

James, if 7/32 is too loose, I&#39;d go w/ a 15/64. Even still, you could make that 5.5 mm allen-head socket for <$40. As far as the VW studs, pulling them w/ a double-nut is easy, not to mention that you can put a lot more torque on that that I would a 5.5mm allen head. I&#39;ve seen guys twist up 6mm and 8mm allen-head sockets.

find me a 15/64th socket? The double nut works well but not when someone helps out and cross threads the stud for you.

Either way, the suggestion came from more then one race shop, and since I do most of my work myself a tool like that will save me time and hassel and let me get my work done faster is fine with me.

Something was said to me a long time ago when I was a paid mechanic out of HS. Time is money, on or off the clock, a 40 dollar tool you know you will use often and saves you time will pay for itself in a few uses.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 27 2005, 12:25 PM
    figure how often you replace wheel bearings and hubs on VW&#39;s wouldnt it be nice to be able to reuse your studs a few times rather then replacing them every single time?
    [snapback]69310[/snapback]
    Actually, I would rather pay for new studs then worry about them breaking. Few things piss me off worse then not finishing or losing the race because of trying to scrimp at that level.

Studs should be less then $12-15/corner TOPS, and we only change them once or twice a year, even with the number of races that Chris does.

Back on topic, Chris&#39; Christmas present was from Home Depot--a Husky 1/2in composite impact that he had been looking at, but being good and not buying. Lifetime warranty. He&#39;s happy.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Dave, Craftsman is having a sale on their tool sets through February 4th. Craftsman Club members can buy their 283-piece set which includes:

- 180 sockets
    - 3 quick-release ratchets
    - 46 combo wrenches
    - 11 drive tools, 40 hex keys
    - 3 slotted and 3 Philips scredrivers
    - Screw/nutdriver handle, bits

Retails for $349.99, yours for $289.99. Cash tight? Get a Sears card and pay it out over a few months.

Part number 34283, http://www.craftsman.com

Like I said: best (maybe only) investment in racing you&#39;ll ever make... - GA

Actually, the set I purchased was delivered a few weeks ago and I&#39;ve re-organized my tool box to accomodate them. Very cool! Next purchase is the cordless impact gun - can&#39;t wait!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing