Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a few good tools

I’ve been using a wonderful set of the cheapest tools I could find about 12 years ago. No really, they only cost me about $20. They have done well but I think a better set could provide some additional benefits. In my search for a decent tool set, all of them come with metric and SAE but I really only want metric tools. My feeling is why pay for SAE tools when I have no need for them and they would just go in a junk bin. Are there any nice metric only sets for a reasonable cost? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a large set with ½ of them being junked?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 21 2005, 12:38 PM
    I’ve been using a wonderful set of the cheapest tools I could find about 12 years ago. No really, they only cost me about $20. They have done well but I think a better set could provide some additional benefits. In my search for a decent tool set, all of them come with metric and SAE but I really only want metric tools. My feeling is why pay for SAE tools when I have no need for them and they would just go in a junk bin. Are there any nice metric only sets for a reasonable cost? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a large set with ½ of them being junked?
    [snapback]68852[/snapback]
    Dave: Craftsman tools (sockets, wrenches) come in small sets that are either SAE or metric, your choice. Some of the larger sets that include the ratchets and stuff come with both.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I went to a few different Sears stores and did some on-line searches. The employees agreed that it would be nice if there were Metric only sets, but they only sell mixed sets. I looked into buying some of the very small "sets" but to get all of the sockets it is cheaper to buy a large set and disgard the SAE stuff. I'm hoping that it is as simple as me not looking or asking the right people.
    Dave Gran

Dave,

You can buy Craftsman metric-only sockets and wrench sets. However, if you want a more 'comprehensive' set (ratchets, etc.) you're going to end up w/ a mixed (SAE and Metric) set. I've also seen things like Husky (HD) and Kobalt (Lowe's) come in Metric or SAE only, but again, nothing big.

I got a fairly comprehensive set of metric only Craftsman tools through the Sears catalog. Of course, I've since spent a fortune on all the extra job specific tools for my car. Trust me, you'll be surprised at how many SAE tools you can use around the house or on the tow vehicle. They might not be such a waste of money.

If its a "Real Tool" you're interested in, you might check the author of the "Bombshell" thread on this site. He's one for sure.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

How often do you need two 13mm wrenches? With a mixed set, you have them (1/2" and 13mm). How about 14mm? Needed two more than once (14mm and 9/16)....didn't get a 17mm in that set? SAE (11/16) will work just fine, thank you. Not all sizes cross, but enough do to make life much easier. Go with the mixed set if it's the best deal for the money. I think you'll end up finding it quite useful in the long run.

Try as I might...and I have spend hundreds $ on spare metric hardware, nuts, bolts, washers, allen cap screws, etc,.... SAE stuff keeps popping up on my race car....grrrrrrr.

Ground Control???? I think I need an SAE allen to loosen their camber plate.....G-Forge Engineering??? Yup....you got it...SAE hardware.

All those rod ends? You can get them in metric, but call Bob Clark (IT.com contributor and IT racer), at Pegusus Racing Supplies, and he'll tell you... you have a much wider choice in SAE.

And on and on.

I bet that tow dolly of yours uses SAE stuff!

Get the combo....time to step up to a complete tool box!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

When I started my professional career in 19?? the talk was that SAE was out & metric would be in the U.S. I'm retired & you guessed it. SAE is still in. Billions of $$ to convert within the U.S. IMHO

ps: Matt W. what do you think ? Want to see if he reads anything on this site other than his own stuff.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Another consideration is your tow vehicle- If you are like me, you have a big "Merican" truck pulling your import IT car. The SAE tools included in the kits do not go to waste in this case, as tweaking on the truck inevitably does happen.
    Eric J Price : ITA 20

Originally posted by RacerBill@Dec 21 2005, 04:45 PM
    Dave: Craftsman tools (sockets, wrenches) come in small sets that are either SAE or metric, your choice. Some of the larger sets that include the ratchets and stuff come with both.
    [snapback]68853[/snapback]
    That's exactly what I have. Works GREAT!
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 21 2005, 06:30 PM
    I went to a few different Sears stores and did some on-line searches. The employees agreed that it would be nice if there were Metric only sets, but they only sell mixed sets. I looked into buying some of the very small "sets" but to get all of the sockets it is cheaper to buy a large set and disgard the SAE stuff. I'm hoping that it is as simple as me not looking or asking the right people.
    [snapback]68861[/snapback]
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...000&tab=des#tab

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...Owner+Tool+Sets

I love it! (from the web site...)

Craftsman 40 pc. Tool Set with Bottle Opener and Tin
    Sure could use the bottle opener while working on the car often.

Thanks Jake. Looks like I'll get one of those two but can't easily tell what the differences are. For the SAE stuff, I'll just dig up the old junk ones I have in the box if I ever need them.
    Dave Gran

Originally posted by gran racing@Dec 24 2005, 02:18 PM
    I love it! (from the web site...)
    Sure could use the bottle opener while working on the car often.
    Thanks Jake. Looks like I'll get one of those two but can't easily tell what the differences are. For the SAE stuff, I'll just dig up the old junk ones I have in the box if I ever need them.
    [snapback]69139[/snapback]
    We don't need no stinking SAE stuff. I have a $10 SAE tool set I got from Job Lot for the one time every few years that I need an SAE tool on a piece of yard equipment. Invest in Metric tools - those big sets will give you multiple sockets in each size. Using a "close" SAE equivlent is a good way to round off a bolt.

I only use a 9/16" ~ 14mm interchangibly, as well as the 3/4" ~ 19mmm combo. Haven't ruined anything yet with those, but I suppose theres always that fun waiting for me in the future!

One thing that IS important is making sure the markings are easily legible, and that you get some form of organizer. Knowing....and keeping each socket in a spot where you KNOW it is is very important.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Dave, let me give you a bit of friendly advice, garnered from years and years and years of buying tools:

Go buy one of the Sears Craftsman mechanic's tool combinations. Don't argue about it, just do it.

When it comes down to it, these things are not all that expensive! Yep, you get a lot of stuff you'll never use, but you also get a lot of stuff you will. Some judicious research will narrow it down to the set that fits you best, and throw in a good carry-around tool box and you'll be set for life. Join the Craftsman Club and keep an eye on their circulars; they offer these sets at significant discounts.

There's two big reasons why you don't want to go cheap:

- First, the combo sets are not that expensive. We're talking a couple of hundred dollars here for a set of tools that can and will last you a LIFETIME.
    - Second, the right tool for the job. Even try to do a job using the wrong tool? It takes twice the amount of time and the job gets done half-assed while probably damaging someone/thing else.
    - Third, if you buy a set that's very specific (say, metric sockets only), and you have to buy those one or two other tools you need (say, a screwdriver, allen key, or SAE wrench), you'll end up spending about the same (or more) money and get less (price out just one screwdriver set versus the cost of the combo set that comes with them)
    - Third, when you break one of the tools - and you will - it gets replaced for free at any Sears store.

Finally, NEVER EVER buy Craftsman tools as single items, ALWAYS buy them in sets. You spend very little more money to buy a lot more product, and even though you'll have doubles or triples of things you already own, you've now got spares for when you lose items (and you will.)

Dave, metric only? Sure, you've got a Honda car and you're pulling it with a Toyota truck, but you WILL need SAE tools, I guaran-damn-tee you. For example, what's the hardware on that tow dolly that you're trusting to bring your Honda home on? SAE, I'll bet. Good luck using some little crappy metric tool set you bought for $20 (or, God forbid, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver) trying to repair that tow dolly at midnight in the middle of Podunk Nowhere on the side of the highway while Melissa fumes in the front seat.

If I were making a living working on cars, I'd spend the money on MAC or Snap-On, but Craftsman tools are quality stuff that gets the job done at a bargain price. Creak open the wallet and spend the money, Dave; it's money well invested, which is something you can't really say about any other aspect of motorsports. - Greg

What he said, LOL....

I actually think Craftsmen are cheap tools...but over built for the price.

Price out a Snap On ratchet sometime....sure it's nicer, but you can get 2 Craftsmen ratchets, and 3 socket sets for the same $!

Seriously, tools make the man...you want to be a man don't you?

Melissa wants you to...

Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Yeah, yeah! I want to be the man!

Geeze, after picking my car up from Richie Hunter's today, I see how all of those different tools will be useful. Eeek.
    Dave Gran

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 24 2005, 04:56 PM

Dave, metric only? Sure, you've got a Honda car and you're pulling it with a Toyota truck, but you WILL need SAE tools, I guaran-damn-tee you. For example, what's the hardware on that tow dolly that you're trusting to bring your Honda home on? SAE, I'll bet. Good luck using some little crappy metric tool set you bought for $20 (or, God forbid, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver) trying to repair that tow dolly at midnight in the middle of Podunk Nowhere on the side of the highway while Melissa fumes in the front seat.

If I were making a living working on cars, I'd spend the money on MAC or Snap-On, but Craftsman tools are quality stuff that gets the job done at a bargain price. Creak open the wallet and spend the money, Dave; it's money well invested, which is something you can't really say about any other aspect of motorsports. - Greg
    [snapback]69147[/snapback]
    We use Mac and Snap-on at work, I think the Craftsman stuff is every bit as good. Yeah - it's nuts what they charge for some of the stuff. We also have SAE and Metric at the shop - there's fairly thick dust on teh SAE stuff. What a waste. Save your money for some ratchet-wrenches, expensive but very useful.

Domestics have been using metric fasteners for a while, so don't worry about getting a domestic tow vehicle. And metric pliers and screwdrivers will work fine on your dolly! Even your metric vice grip! Now of course if you decide you want race an MGB... you've got bigger problems!!

Yeah, most domestic vehicles are now metric. However, domestic metric and import metric typically us different sizes. Domestic typically use 8-10-13-15 and 18 mm head sizes, while imports typically use 7-10-12-14-17-19mm with the occasional 16mm thrown in. Of course, replacement hardware bolts will vary, and really p!ss you off.

Most tool sets will cover you from 8mm to 19mm. Just make sure that the tool set that you plan to buy will cover your anticipated needs.

As a proffesional auto tech, I have bought a lot of tools from Mac, Snap-on, and Matco. All quality tools. But you PAY for them to come to you. Craftsman indeed makes many quality tools, however because of my own personal dislikes for Sears, I no longer purchase them. For light weight tools, IE 1/4 drive, screwdrivers etc... I've been using independent tool shops. For something a bit more heavy duty, I've been buying the Husky brand that Home Depot carries. Life time warrenty.

Just my .02 cents worth

George