Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golf Version 3.2 Progressing Slowly

Good answer. I agree wholeheartedly. Some of the cross car bars I see are an inch away from the drivers knees,, and I shudder to think of the damage a knee could take.

In my car the cross car tube is under the dash, way up there and I needed to shoot it thru a long heater duct, so I did. Removed at least 3 oz of duct plastic, but the duct still functions well and the windsheild remains clear in rain, so it was a good compromise. My car predates yours and has no really significant structure like yours.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

You're looking at the Touring Section. The Showroom Stock Section says the bar is recommended.

18.2.5.E
    [/b]
    Thanks. Brain-fart there. Must be from tomuch time writting code.

Kirk, excellent. I'm missing this weekend too, and kind of bummed about it because I like the "less crowded" March event at VIR over the MARRS/SARRC pack'em in and give'em little track time event. But will look forward to seeing your car there.

Any chance of you going to Savannah third week in April? If so, let me know. I've got a free test day certificate that if I don't use, I'll give you.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

That Savannah date is actually the back-up plan if for whatever reason we aren't ready for the THSCC deal earlier in April. Thanks for thinking of us, Jeff!
    K

Getting closer...

K

looking good
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Ya, holding it down on the engineering front!

Pretty amazing how many parts there are on an IT car, if you have to bolt them back on one at a time.

Cameron did the fabrication today for our groovy, adjustable rear anti-roll bar. It's a whopper.

K

Still moving forward...

The white grill is Pablo's, that survived the TN roll. The plan is to retire it when we get our first class win.

Got the new studs pressed in and the front bearings replaced - after going shopping for a press, of course. Brakes are all plumbed as of today, with a pair of bias valves (one for each rear) after dubious results with the T set-up last summer. It looks like twin-screw boat throttles. Hood and fenders a hung and the underhood package is all sewn up. Left to do?

** Minor electricals in the dash - DL-1 inputs, a couple of guages, power for radio and other accessories
    ** Dash assembly
    ** Seat and safety equipment
    ** Align
    ** Graphics
    ** Trip to the dyno
    ** Finish the paperwork and inspection for a new title and license (that's a long-ass story, there)

K

Whew.

Turns out that we had a short of some kind INSIDE the OE fuse box, so we unplugged the entire wiring harness again, installed a spare 'box, poked in the full arrangement of relays, checked all the fuses, and connected every terminal from scratch - referencing the manual with every connection.

We then had a minor glitch when the gauge cluster wasn't working but Cameron found the missing link and everything is AOK. No check-engine lights, either.

The brakes seem happier even right out of the box, with dual rear bias valves on separate circuits for each wheel, replacing the T'd single rear circuit we ran at the end of last season. That never did seem right...

The most galling part of the project to date happened this evening as we were trying to get it buttoned up and looking like a car - we discovered that the doors won't go on if the fenders are installed. And of course, the bumper skin and signals have to be disassembled to take off the fenders. So, as things were supposed to be going together for the final time, we were taking them apart in the gathering darkness.

Despite that, and thanks to all of Cameron's hard work, we are just about there. We still have a bunch of piddlly things to finish - see http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/build4.php for the details - but we are on schedule for a debut at the May 12-14 SARRC/MARRS whoopy-doo.

K

Excellent picture there, Kirk! Looking good, I was very happy to see it moving under it's own power yesterday!

Car looks tight Kirk! Hats off to you and Cameron! Looking forward to SP!!!!

There is quite literally no nut, wire, or fitting on the car that we don't intimately know now, so it will be very ready for the 12 hours. It will be very interesting to see what it weighs, although the interim rear bar is going to hurt that number pretty dramatically.

K

That thing looks nice and I like the white interior and bars, good job!!! It really looks more like a race car than a street/race car - what has happened to you?

Looks can be deceiving, Ron - I'm stopping at the DMV tomorrow to arrange for the VIN inspection, so I can get a title issued as the first step to getting it licensed.

K

Good for you! I'm doing the same on the Jensen, but I have a much easier road since I don't need catalytic convertors etc. for inspection. Are you going to have a bolt in convertor arrangement? I did that on a Lotus I had and it worked well - pulled over 23 rwhp on the dyno (made 337 at the wheels) difference with the cat in and out. Bet it'll be worth something on the VW for sure.

Ron

Can you say "test Pipe", 23 HP is huge! that translates to about 3hp on the GTIf right?

Kirk, Cameron, car looks great. You guys at Roebling with it this weekend?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

No RR. VIR in May will be the first official outing, unless we make the Rockingham NASA event the week before.

We don't run the stock cat, actually - it's a purpose-built racing piece intended for rallying. I'm really looking forward to getting on the dyno so we can see what is really happening there but the DL1 suggested that we were actually accelerating slower with an under-car turndown than with the muffler we are currently running...

To be continued.

K

Can you say "test Pipe", 23 HP is huge! that translates to about 3hp on the GTIf right?
    [/b]

Turbo car - sensitive to exhaust. Hey, 3hp is 3hp - it is legal to remove the cat in IT. I know people do a whole lot more for 3hp than remove a cat and replace with a test pipe!

R