Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ever seen a school bus as a car hauler?

If you really want to go this way, I'd look into an old box truck. Actually designed to carry cargo, and probably has a diesel. We bought one for work, and it would probably make a cool car hauler. It's a 16' Hino, w/ a high box that's big enough to stand up in. To me, biggest issue is getting the car in. You might find one w/ a lift gate. To me though, there are a couple of downsides. Most don't have a side door, but even more importantly, most only seat 2 people. I'm also not a big fan of vehicles where you sit out over the front axle!!! Should do 60 - 65 on the highway (but that's probably about all) ok. The one we got was a '98 w/ 225k miles on it (properly maintained, they're probably good for an easy 400k. I think we paid $6500 or so for it.

As far as one of the coolest car haulers ever, anybody that's been around the Northeast since the mid-90s, has probably seen the converted fire truck of Entropy Racing. It was an old American LaFrance ladder truck that had the ladder and the turn table removed, and ramps built on top. It was mostly used to haul Spec Racers, but I've seen other cars on it. Fit two cars, and would pull a dual-axle open trailer behind it.

AFAIK, Charlie still has the fire truck and it's still going strong. Oh yeah, he used to drive the cars up on it! :119:

Before Charlie bought the American LaFrance (which I understand is something like a '54) he had a converted school bus. It lasted only long enough for him to replace the trans and several other major components before being sent down the road. As I recall, it was a brilliant idea in theory which paled in reality.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Here in Cen-Div, Terry Jesk used to haul his EP MGB around with a converted school bus in the 70's. 3-Time national champ Logan Blackburn hauled his 280Z in one too during the same time period.

This was before enclosed trailers became as popular as they are today (Heck, even Jerry Hansen used an open car transporter for his ASR & FA cars).
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ

In April, 2004, I went to school at Nelson Ledges. There was 2 guys there getting there wives/girlfriends schooled. They had a Formula V... might have been a Ford in the back of this school bus. The rams they had were easily 20'.

In our local IT crowd, 1 guy uses a diesel ambulance and another uses an old aluminum bus to haul their car trailers.

hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Originally posted by bldn10@Dec 17 2005, 12:14 PM
    There is a guy over in Oklahoma-Kansas who has one. Seeing his narrow, 20' long homemade ramps to get up to the floor level freaks me out. Figure the angle your car needs for clearance and see how long you would need.
    [snapback]68593[/snapback]
    I think that would be Brian Haupt. It's affectionately known as the "truss". Front end looks like an old cab-over Mack, or something, with a school bus rear. It's also rigged to pull a trailer - and he tows like a 30' enclosed with it. The whole thing is painted flat black - and has to be the fugliest thing in anybody's paddock.

Anyone remember FAZA, the Fiat guy from south Daytona? I believe he had a converted school bus in the early 70's that hauled a little "Bertone bubble back ( ? )" and an 850.

Reminds me of my racing days back in the early 80's. I got a bright idea similar to the bus only it was a two ton truck. An ex Sears truck no doubt (bad omen) I
    worked my a** off converting it complete with a hydraulic loading ramp. The
    first and only time I used it was to Summit Point (420 miles) for an IMSA GTU group 2 race. On the way we blew the engine,one tire,lost the brakes(sudden hyd. deal) and got 4 mpg. Also the diff. ate itself on the return. I won $400 (due mainly to attrition) and gave the POS away afterward. I could have rented a front runner
    for the cost of transport.
    My advise to anyone thinking of such a thing is to beat your head against a brick
    wall, then go out and buy a nice diesel dually along an enclosed trailer. That way
    you'll get your abuse but above all arrive fresh and safe for your race weekend.
    Tim
    Semi-retired racer but not dead

http://www.empire1.net/racing/images/therig3.jpg

Pick up a nice diesel E350/450 for about $5k.

Seats 9, stand-up, walk around, TV, Stereo, Dual heat and AC....
    360 degree theater-style viewing.
    Handicap accessible :^)
    Sleep in it if you want....

I can say for certain that anytime it rains - you will have THE most popular vehicle at the track. ;^)

~E.

This is a new website... It may or may not take off... not sure (its not mine). It seems to have APTA's backing so it should be a great source for people looking for a possible bus to convert at a very cheep price. You may also be able to find parts for buses at huge deals...

Its new so thier are not a lot of posts, if you really want bus stuff though then boookmark the page and take a look 30 days from now and see if it gets populated or not.

Goodluck

Raymond "The Bus Guy" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com