Thread: ever seen a school bus as a car hauler?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone remember FAZA, the Fiat guy from south Daytona? I believe he had a converted school bus in the early 70's that hauled a little "Bertone bubble back ( ? )" and an 850.

Reminds me of my racing days back in the early 80's. I got a bright idea similar to the bus only it was a two ton truck. An ex Sears truck no doubt (bad omen) I
    worked my a** off converting it complete with a hydraulic loading ramp. The
    first and only time I used it was to Summit Point (420 miles) for an IMSA GTU group 2 race. On the way we blew the engine,one tire,lost the brakes(sudden hyd. deal) and got 4 mpg. Also the diff. ate itself on the return. I won $400 (due mainly to attrition) and gave the POS away afterward. I could have rented a front runner
    for the cost of transport.
    My advise to anyone thinking of such a thing is to beat your head against a brick
    wall, then go out and buy a nice diesel dually along an enclosed trailer. That way
    you'll get your abuse but above all arrive fresh and safe for your race weekend.
    Tim
    Semi-retired racer but not dead

http://www.empire1.net/racing/images/therig3.jpg

Pick up a nice diesel E350/450 for about $5k.

Seats 9, stand-up, walk around, TV, Stereo, Dual heat and AC....
    360 degree theater-style viewing.
    Handicap accessible :^)
    Sleep in it if you want....

I can say for certain that anytime it rains - you will have THE most popular vehicle at the track. ;^)

~E.