Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions of 280ZX

If you really want to be competitive, build an 1989-1990 240SX for ITA. Then if you want to upgrade to EP, you strip and build the chassis and pump up the motor. If you want more, like turbos, bolt in the SR20DET. I have a 240SX ITS car and although it might be competitive somewhere, it won't run 1:39 flat at Road Atlanta like the BMWs. In fact, I think Chris' car has done a best of 1:43?

Steve

Originally posted by rlearp@Dec 28 2005, 10:33 PM
    Not that it means anything from a crazy nut, but the two cars I'd like to build for ITS right now are a 280Z and a 300Z. I think both cars, with the right development, could do very well. I'd be a lot of fun I think to fit a megasquirt up to the Z system and doable I think since megasquirt can now learn OEM sensors with little difficulty. Rear discs would be nice just to eliminate fooling with the drums, and I agree with some others here that the little guy can make some power. Buddy up ours has a 280 that is a perfect candidate except for one thing - it is the dreaded 2+2 model!

R
    [snapback]69426[/snapback]
    Bob Sharpe and Paul Newman ran the 2+2 somewhere. Dont know if it was a single race or they took it all around for a season or less. Supposed to be more stabe in a long line________ Not sure if its good or bad.

Lawrence

Chris Newberry's car is very nice and well prepared. One of the nicest looking cars out there. He's a good driver as well so he gets the most out of it. I checked and he did a 1:42.5 in qualifying for the ARRC enduro. I don't know if he's gone faster than that. He had his car for sale and you may want to consider buying it if you want an ITS car. I don't know if he's sold it, but you could look him up and ask.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Chris 240 is very nice. I've watched him run a number of times and I really like the car - if I was in the market and coming at this now, instead of 1.5 years ago, I'd go this route. Everytime I see one on the road now I think "there's a race car".

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments (Jeff,Ron, David,DavidM) on my 240sx. My car is still for sale if any interest, just time to take a break. I have done a 1.41.9 at Road Atlanta in a test day for the record but still no 1.39.0! These cars are competitive and reliable and MUCH cheaper than a BMW or Speedsource RX7. Steven Spiers has a good point though if you want to go to E Prod later build the early S13 chassis but I suppose you could always request classification of the newer model S14. Happy New Year to all and I guess I'll see some of you at Road Atlanta at the end of February...even if my car is sold! Chris Newberry 404-314-5042
    Chris Newberry
    Atlanta, GA