Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New air intake rule

sorry about the confusion Joe. Go to Fastrack>Nov Fastrack>intake rule change: your post (#80) was actually what my reply reflected off of, as a response to Darren Jordan. see also #s 85, 87, 91, and 97. Breifly, I thought (and it's still my stand) that this rule revision was uneeded and an example of the worst kind of rule meddling that corrupts club racing. Phil Hunt
    phil hunt

Originally posted by pfcs@Dec 8 2005, 05:38 PM
    sorry about the confusion Joe. Go to Fastrack>Nov Fastrack>intake rule change: your post (#80) was actually what my reply reflected off of, as a response to Darren Jordan. see also #s 85, 87, 91, and 97. Breifly, I thought (and it's still my stand) that this rule revision was uneeded and an example of the worst kind of rule meddling that corrupts club racing. Phil Hunt
    [snapback]67659[/snapback]

Well Phil, I will respectfully disagree as the air pipe rule puts all cars on the same playing field. And if you want to get your whack in at the right person you have to know how to spell theor name. Darin....
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Joe, There is a hose running from the stock black air intake tubing to somewhere under the intake manifold (ka24de). Is this a vacuum, emissions, etc.. line and can it be plugged on the manifold end to allow the use of the aero ducting? Can I also assume that you would eliminate both stock rubber flexible boots at the TB and MAF when using the aero tubing. Where is the 2 3/4 -3" adapter used? At the TB or MAF?
    Also reading from another thread, I have the Valve Cover vented to a catch can. Is this OK or would I be better off with another setup?
    Thanks for the info.
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series
    www.murphymotorsports.net

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 8 2005, 06:47 PM
    Well Phil, I will respectfully disagree as the air pipe rule puts all cars on the same playing field. And if you want to get your whack in at the right person you have to know how to spell theor name. Darin....
    [snapback]67668[/snapback]
    Stay with the catch can until I dyno in a month or so. I am gonna try a closed system. I have to go look at mine. I thinnk I capped all the emmisions stuff including the PCV. Maybe Darin could chime in on what we did with his originally...(memory)[attachmentid=225]
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by murphyd@Dec 12 2005, 02:25 PM
    There is a hose running from the stock black air intake tubing to somewhere under the intake manifold (ka24de). Is this a vacuum, emissions, etc.. line and can it be plugged on the manifold end to allow the use of the aero ducting?
    The bigger of the 2 lines running under the air intake is the one that goes to the idle control valve and associated pieces-parts.

And I think the smaller hose goes back to the mess of vac lines and solenoids that sit on the back of the motor/intake.

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Originally posted by jamsilvia@Dec 12 2005, 08:51 PM
    The bigger of the 2 lines running under the air intake is the one that goes to the idle control valve and associated pieces-parts.

And I think the smaller hose goes back to the mess of vac lines and solenoids that sit on the back of the motor/intake.

joe
    [snapback]68017[/snapback]
    So is it ok to plug these lines or what?
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series

Originally posted by murphyd@Dec 13 2005, 08:28 AM
    So is it ok to plug these lines or what?
    [snapback]68079[/snapback]
    Only if you don't want the car to idle!!! :-) The big one is the air supply to the idle valve.

The little one, I'm not quite sure. It appears that it goes to the fuel pressure regulator (which, I'd think you would not want to block off). I don't have the routing right in front of me - I'll go home and look at lunch.

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Originally posted by jamsilvia@Dec 13 2005, 07:18 AM
    Only if you don't want the car to idle!!! :-) The big one is the air supply to the idle valve.

The little one, I'm not quite sure. It appears that it goes to the fuel pressure regulator (which, I'd think you would not want to block off). I don't have the routing right in front of me - I'll go home and look at lunch.

joe
    [snapback]68087[/snapback]
    You can see or maybe not that all I did on the idle tube was use a small air filter to keep than line clean. I could make an adapter to feed it into the air tube if needed.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 13 2005, 10:51 AM
    You can see or maybe not that all I did on the idle tube was use a small air filter to keep than line clean. I could make an adapter to feed it into the air tube if needed.
    [snapback]68093[/snapback]
    I would add the line to the intake tract...someone could call you on that one real easy...but it is a very clean set up...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

So where is the adapter in the picture? I guess it is closer to MAF?!
    David Murphy
    Murphy Motorsports
    ITS 240sx
    Carolina Cup Pro Series

Originally posted by murphyd@Dec 13 2005, 09:16 AM
    So where is the adapter in the picture? I guess it is closer to MAF?!
    [snapback]68106[/snapback]
    No the adapter is at the TB. I used silicon coupler to clamp it to the TB I machined everthing to be a smooth transition to the TB size. I agree the the air line for the IAC needs to be moved to the tube for IT.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 13 2005, 12:33 PM
    No the adapter is at the TB. I used silicon coupler to clamp it to the TB I machined everthing to be a smooth transition to the TB size. I agree the the air line for the IAC needs to be moved to the tube for IT.
    [snapback]68115[/snapback]
    I'm suprised that the car likes idling with it like that - since all the air it's pulling in is unmetered. Then again, I dunno that it references the MAF at idle.

What did you do with the little line that came off the air intake??

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Originally posted by jamsilvia@Dec 13 2005, 03:25 PM
    I'm suprised that the car likes idling with it like that - since all the air it's pulling in is unmetered. Then again, I dunno that it references the MAF at idle.

What did you do with the little line that came off the air intake??

joe
    [snapback]68156[/snapback]
    Which one Joe? I use a manual FP regulator so no need for vacuum to that But every thing else was smog related so I dumped all of it. Remeber the photo is not an IT car. If you can thinkof anything IT need for a conversion like this let me know. ALso in the photo you are not seeing a MAF because on this car I don't use one.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 13 2005, 06:15 PM
    Which one Joe? I use a manual FP regulator so no need for vacuum to that But every thing else was smog related so I dumped all of it. Remeber the photo is not an IT car. If you can thinkof anything IT need for a conversion like this let me know. ALso in the photo you are not seeing a MAF because on this car I don't use one.
    [snapback]68162[/snapback]
    Yep - that makes sense - if you aren't using that smaller vac line for the FPR, there's nothing else that it goes to that matters.

And if you aren't running an air metering device, I can understand how you got away with the idle air just vented too.

What did you do instead of using a MAF to determine injector duty cycles?

joe
    #13 ITS S13 Nissan 240SX

Originally posted by jamsilvia@Dec 21 2005, 08:13 AM
    Yep - that makes sense - if you aren't using that smaller vac line for the FPR, there's nothing else that it goes to that matters.

And if you aren't running an air metering device, I can understand how you got away with the idle air just vented too.

What did you do instead of using a MAF to determine injector duty cycles?

joe
    [snapback]68845[/snapback]
    In my case I am using a 2 bar map sensor combined with the tps single. I am using a AEM Ecu on the RS car. The cool thing is all the work we are doing is allowing me to look at options in the factory ECu when I start burning chips there.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z