Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what to look for in a cheap tow vehicle

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting some good info here. I did starting think about insurance for the box truck, and if I had to register it as a commercial vehicle, and if I needed a commercial license for it. Just more research for me todo. I also did take a quick look at Budget and Penske. I also was thinking of UPS, though most of there trucks are probably too tall. And yes, I was thinking about putting the car IN the truck.

I should have pointed out that I don't plan on getting an enclosed trailer, and may just go Dave's route and get a tow dolly. So I'm leaning towards the Van option.

Any other comments? Should I also be looking at extra cooling for the transmission, or some other addon that will keep the engine from failing during a tow?
    -Jon Quimbaya
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Well if you go with an open (my prefrence.) you will need (if it doesnt have it) a 7 pin RV installed, a brake controller is always a good thing. And no matter what due to the hills of your area I would install an upgraded trans cooler. Other options would be trans temp, oil temp, oil pressure if you want to get all fancy.

At least that way you can avoid killing the TV before its time. Look for a non high top conversion or just a cargo van (conversions are nice cuz well most of that is done.)
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Angry

Originally posted by tcpip@Dec 2 2005, 02:00 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm getting some good info here. I did starting think about insurance for the box truck, and if I had to register it as a commercial vehicle, and if I needed a commercial license for it. Just more research for me todo. I also did take a quick look at Budget and Penske. I also was thinking of UPS, though most of there trucks are probably too tall. And yes, I was thinking about putting the car IN the truck.
    [snapback]67214[/snapback]
    Good info from this bunch? I race with some of this motley crew and know others personally and know that it's more like drivel - the more you ask, the more we spew

In all seriousness, don't put the car IN the box truck. Matt is right (for once) - too much weight way too high and way to difficult to secure safely. The only vehicle I'd ever consider stuffing into a box truck is an open wheeler or a kart. A friend who races Nationals and is also a steward used to carry his DSR in a box truck but it was a Ford F600 cabover with a 25' box and a tommy-lift. When I think "box truck", I think van-front, box-rear.

There are a bunch of regulations revolving around commercial vehicles. Just b/c the vehicle is registered to a business doesn't mean that you'll need a CDL to drive it. That is unless certain specific criteria are required by the vehicle such as air brakes, gross vehicle weight over a certain figure or a maximum number of passengers.

If you're looking for cheap, I'll tell you the same thing that I told JamesB - buy a used conversion van. More than one person on this list uses an old conversion van as a tow vehicle b/c they are dirt cheap (for some reason, no one wants to buy a used conversion van - something about sitting on the "love" couch after the original owners that gives buyers the willies); in the right configuration, they can tow quite a large load; they have a voluminous cargo area for spare parts, coolers, bedding and dead bodies; they provide a changing area to keep your competitors from becoming ill and lastly, they have space for you to shanghai your crew without having to keep them bound and gagged.
    Haz-Matt Racing

Originally posted by mgyip@Dec 2 2005, 04:50 PM
    Good info from this bunch? I race with some of this motley crew and know others personally and know that it's more like drivel - the more you ask, the more we spew

they provide a changing area to keep your competitors from becoming ill

I try to help, I went through that and did find the conversion to be best, too bad I had that frontier to unload and 2 months on craigslist and autotrader got me nothing but people trying to use gas prices as a reason I should sell it to them for wholesale. But not to digress.

hey, if thats the case ill win if I just change ontop of your observation deck of the trailer!!
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Originally posted by dickita15@Dec 1 2005, 06:37 PM
    actually Greg I was thinking of Jake's old Dodge "Crack Van"
    [snapback]67143[/snapback]

yea yeah yeah......

That van could be for sale...but I won't take a penny more...(or is that less?) than what I paid.

Handsome beast that it is....and reliable too! Cold AC! Goes 80MPH! (On the downhill away from LRP....and 20MPH..UP that same hill WITH the 80MPH head start!)

It could be yours for less than you'd expect...(in so many ways, LOL)

Seriously, a van has a lot to recommend it)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

That van sounds like the "devil" rollback a friend used to use to get to LRP. It did the same thing but even better was this gremlin it had where it would just shudder violently at random times, or got a whole weekend without a single vibration. The thing was possesed. But for what he paid it was worth the adventures.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

The van solution is a really good one. I spent a lot of time about 2 years ago trying to solve the same problem. I had gotten lucky getting by with a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee for too long, and decided it was time to get a real tow vehicle. My brother has an F350, crew cab, diesel, long bed, 4x4 truck that I was salivating over. Then I started shopping. The only 1 tons and 3/4 ton pickups I found were pretty long in the tooth, with questionable historys. The ones I would even consider were in the $6-$10k area.

Ended up with a 1995 GMC 3/4 ton conversion van with a 350, tow package, and sweet valet lights inside. I pulled off the crappy fender flare/side step things, and it looks and acts like a truck, but keeps stuff I carry onboard dry and only cost $4200. It tows our open trailer 1000 times better (and safer) than the Jeep did. It also provides some space for our 1yr old to nap in, or get diaper changes. We camped in it when crewing for a freind at the June sprints and it worked great.

So yeah - the van idea, check into that....

Chris
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I am also looking for a cheap tow vehicle 2-3 thousand. What about like a late 80's or early 90's Suburban? Good? Bad? Anyon e using one of these? Also out of the conversion vans is there a better one to get like the chevy over the ford or the dodge. Thanks.

Originally posted by wacrxguy@Dec 9 2005, 10:21 PM
    I am also looking for a cheap tow vehicle 2-3 thousand. What about like a late 80's or early 90's Suburban? Good? Bad? Anyon e using one of these? Also out of the conversion vans is there a better one to get like the chevy over the ford or the dodge. Thanks.
    [snapback]67801[/snapback]
    The Subs up to (I think 92) are the old (or is it old, old) body style and are known for rust. Otherwise good trucks. About 5 months ago I picked up a 95 2500 (8 lug) Suburban. 454, new (OK) paint w/ a rebuilt trans for just over 5K. So far it's been great. Tows my VW like it's not there.

-Bob

I may be going against the grain here, but I would suggest not starting with a price range but starting with the features/capabilities you must have followed by what is nice to have. Both times I have purchased tow vehicles I have gone too cheap and ultimately regretted it.

Just like buying a car versus building, spending a little more up front gets you LOTS more than it costs to add it later. A/C is a good example. Doesn't seem that important until you are driving home after a wet spring or summer event. You are wet, everything you own is wet, it raining so you can't keep the windows open, and you cannot wipe fast enough to keep the moisture off the inside of the windshield. That SUCKS and is dangerous.

I live 5 minutes from Rd Atl so I can get away without many features or capacity, but if I was going to go any farther, I would make sure I got a safe, reliable, and relatively comfortable vehicle first. There is always be a part to buy for the car, so you better spend the tow money all upfront.

Just my .02

Rory

How about a dream ride.

Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo disel with a Banks upgrade. Can you say 500HP with about 1000 lbs torque and about 15-17mpg highway none towing. :119: You will definitely need the transmission upgrade. It will tow anything and take you there in style.

I have a 94 burb and love it but wish I could afford the dream.

Originally posted by Festus E. Simkins@Dec 27 2005, 12:44 PM
    How about a dream ride.

Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo disel with a Banks upgrade. Can you say 500HP with about 1000 lbs torque and about 15-17mpg highway none towing. :119: You will definitely need the transmission upgrade. It will tow anything and take you there in style.

I have a 94 burb and love it but wish I could afford the dream.
    [snapback]69289[/snapback]

Yep, would love one of those!! Probably wouldn't even need the Banks upgrade to pull a 24' Haulmark. Towing mileage will still probably be in the 10mpg range, maybe a bit more.

I know matts F350 pulling my open with the ITB car loaded up in stock mode we where getting around 14mpg towing. I know pulling his pig of a trailer with the chip turned up we where in the 9mpg range, so unless that haulmark is way loaded up I couldnt see it getting down under 10mpg either.'

I wanted an F250 PSD CC short bed, then went looking for a not too abused pickup (I use it to get to the metro and use around the house as well as towing) in the end due to interest rates and 'employee pricing' im paying less for a brand new truck.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports