I may be going against the grain here, but I would suggest not starting with a price range but starting with the features/capabilities you must have followed by what is nice to have. Both times I have purchased tow vehicles I have gone too cheap and ultimately regretted it.

Just like buying a car versus building, spending a little more up front gets you LOTS more than it costs to add it later. A/C is a good example. Doesn't seem that important until you are driving home after a wet spring or summer event. You are wet, everything you own is wet, it raining so you can't keep the windows open, and you cannot wipe fast enough to keep the moisture off the inside of the windshield. That SUCKS and is dangerous.

I live 5 minutes from Rd Atl so I can get away without many features or capacity, but if I was going to go any farther, I would make sure I got a safe, reliable, and relatively comfortable vehicle first. There is always be a part to buy for the car, so you better spend the tow money all upfront.

Just my .02

Rory