Thread: 2nd Gen ITS car

Well we ended up 4th in NYSRRC ITA, had our 1st Win at Beaver Run so it was a good year for a carb equipped, no engine manangement , no overbore 25 year old car. With the 2006 GCr out and we are still in ITA despite efforts to get the the CRB to move us to ITB. . So we are going to look at moving to ITS with a 2nd generation. NOW I would love to call Andy and Pickup the 04 but its a bit out of our budget. So what do we look for and what do we avoid in a 2nd Generation?? Thanks for all help. Expect to post our present car for sale Would be a great base car to change to EP it is well built having been built by Robinson Racing enterprises in GA. Hope everyone has a Great Thanksgiving Tom Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I'll start with the very basics:
    You want the "GTU" model (also called "Sport" model in '86, I think)
    It has the lightweight hood, 5-lug wheels and 4-piston brakes.

Look for:

Minimum 4.88 rear (preferably 5.12)
    Pro built engine (lots of good builders)
    Recent tranny rebuild (real week point on these)
    Great cooling set-up (oil and water)
    Original S5 build (or nice S5 conversion of an S4 - need the internals and intake)
    Good Shocks (at a minimum valved to the spring rates you have)

I'll think of more...

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Sorry to see you go.....and I'm not sure if you should, LOL...

But, if you must, prepare for ITS being a very spendy place. I don't know what the FOM car is going for, but I would think seriously about it...they are top notch and have all the goodies...and it costs alot to build to that level.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by seattle7@Nov 24 2005, 04:51 AM
    I'll start with the very basics:
    You want the "GTU" model (also called "Sport" model in '86, I think)
    It has the lightweight hood, 5-lug wheels and 4-piston brakes.
    [snapback]66548[/snapback]
    go to iscracing.net mike has already done the r&d on the 2nd gen rx7. cooling system, shocks,springs,sway bar kits and guage panel. buy his stuff & put it on the way he saids... go race this will save alot time. it will be real close. and have fun ralph mcconnell

Originally posted by ralph mcconnell@Nov 25 2005, 03:18 AM
    go to iscracing.net mike has already done the r&d on the 2nd gen rx7. cooling system, shocks,springs,sway bar kits and guage panel. buy his stuff & put it on the way he says... go race . this will save alot time. it will be real close. and have fun ralph mcconnell
    [snapback]66616[/snapback]

Originally posted by ralph mcconnell@Nov 25 2005, 02:51 PM
    [snapback]66658[/snapback]
    Ralph, Why don't you just sell him your spare car?? Should be a great starter car.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Nov 23 2005, 11:54 PM
    Look for:

Minimum 4.88 rear (preferably 5.12)
    Pro built engine (lots of good builders)
    Recent tranny rebuild (real week point on these)
    Great cooling set-up (oil and water)
    Original S5 build (or nice S5 conversion of an S4 - need the internals and intake)
    Good Shocks (at a minimum valved to the spring rates you have)

I'll think of more...

AB
    [snapback]66549[/snapback]
    Then after you figure what your going to spend to make the car top notch...Call
    Andy and negotiate his.
    Chris Ludwig would also be a good source.
    dj

I'd actually sell my car right now. The shape it's in makes the price right. PM me if interested.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Nov 26 2005, 05:54 PM
    I'd actually sell my car right now. The shape it's in makes the price right. PM me if interested.
    [snapback]66698[/snapback]
    we do a 86 rx7 ready to race. fresh isc engine, gtu trans,4.8 ltd rear end , and much more. e-mail ... [email protected] this is great starter car.

"what do we look for"

A car someone else spent a lot of time and $ on so you don't have to. Unless you are hell-bent on reinventing the wheel, I'd buy a car at least w/ the basics already there. Over in the Classifieds I see a clean car for $7000 in your area, and there is a SpeedSource car for sale here in Memphis for $10,000 OBO. When you start adding up the costs of parts alone, like a $2500-3000 diff., you will see the beauty of an existing race car.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Tom
    Just wondering if you found an ITS car yet? If not shoot me an email. My ITS car is for sale. I am located in the North East.
    John Costello
    [email protected]
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

Well we found a 86 RX-7 seems to be Straight car has the items outlined in previous post but will need to be tweaked. Has no strut tower brace retains stock dash needs tires Looks of extras with it so good starting point. I'm told thats half the fun :119: to build it. I can just hear those Vendors just drooling Anyone need an 1980 ITA car? T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Originally posted by tdw6974@Dec 10 2005, 02:06 AM
    Well we found a 86 RX-7 seems to be Straight car has the items outlined in previous post but will need to be tweaked. Has no strut tower brace retains stock dash needs tires Looks of extras with it so good starting point. I'm told thats half the fun :119: to build it. I can just hear those Vendors just drooling Anyone need an 1980 ITA car? T Weaver
    [snapback]67787[/snapback]
    Most everybody will agree - buy the built car. Building one is fun - sorting out all the shit that doesn't work right at the track sucks. If you want to run up front, buy a good platform that's built and spend the fun time on making it better and faster.

If you want to win, buy one of the built cars that's a front runner.

PS - my budget for ITS has been $20-25K each season for three seasons in a row. But my car is a winning front runner with all the trick stuff on it. Only thing I'd add is the 5:12 diff. Tried the 4.6 and it's not the way to go.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Originally posted by benspeed@Dec 12 2005, 10:39 AM
    Tried the 4.6 and it's not the way to go.
    [snapback]67956[/snapback]
    Neither is the 4.10 If anybody needs one, I've got a couple I could let go fairly cheap.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)