Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 GCR is out

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Dec 12 2005, 03:36 AM
    As of right now, if you have an E36 325i/is, you are at 2850 with the RP.
    Yep. Is it going to stay that way through the 2006 season, or will there be an adjustment during the year?

That's all I'm asking -- I'm not sure how the balance of your note would get me any closer to an answer about what work I need to do.

Did anyone else notice that the language in the very first paragraph of Section 20 regarding 'window nets' has disappeared ?

Thru 2005 it stated parenthetically "(Note: SFI requirements for Driver's Restraint System does not include arm restraints at this time. Window nets need not be dated.)"

I've searched Secs 17, 18 & 20 and the 'date' language has not reappeared. Does this infer that we must now replace window nets on the damn SFI requirements (which seems to be every two years) ???

Plus...now arm restraints are in limbo. For those of us with 'arm restraints' in our vocabulary, this isn't promising. I hate having debates about the GCR language with some chuckle-head first thing Saturday morning as I'm trying to get to the false grid.

Did I miss a memo ? I paid reasonable attention to FasTrack for the past few years, and noted the changes in the belt requirements, and am pretty sure I would have noted an absense of the old language. Or maybe I'm just getting senile.

Anybody track this change thru CRB & BOD ?

[quote] There are 3 "E36-type" cars in ITA right now that are outside the current parameters for the class...and we hope to affect them for the benefit of the class as a whole. AB
    [snapback]67915[/snapback]

Andy,
    Can you elaborate on this sentence? Did you mean ITA or ITS?

Thanks, Rob
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

News to me, John. I'll search through my Fastracks...

On edit: John, you're absolutely correct. March 2005 Fastrack, page F34, struck those lines entirely, effective 01/01/05. We now have to have dated window nets??? I need to read this more thoroughly.

Sonuva...

Originally posted by Doc Bro@Dec 14 2005, 09:50 AM

Andy,
    Can you elaborate on this sentence? Did you mean ITA or ITS?

Thanks, Rob
    [snapback]68233[/snapback]
    ITA.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Originally posted by JohnRW@Dec 14 2005, 11:37 AM
    Did anyone else notice that the language in the very first paragraph of Section 20 regarding 'window nets' has disappeared ?

Thru 2005 it stated parenthetically "(Note: SFI requirements for Driver's Restraint System does not include arm restraints at this time. Window nets need not be dated.)"

The '06 GCR does not mention replacement dates.

17.30. WINDOW SAFETY NETS
    Window safety nets shall be used on the driver’s side window of all closed
    cars. As of January 1, 1995 and thereafter, all window nets shall meet
    SFI Specification 27.1., and shall bear an “SFI Spec 27.1., Label” to that
    effect. The window net shall be equipped with a quick-release device.
    Nets shall be attached to the roll cage; plastic buckles and elastic cords
    are not permitted. Holes in the rollcage to accommodate either support
    rod is unacceptable unless bushed and welded completely. Refer to
    Figure 4, “Proper Window Net Installation,” for additional information on
    mounting methods. Closed cockpit sports racers may use arm restraints
    in lieu of a window net

So unlike the restraints which must be dated, I read this is I must have an SFI rated window next and there is not expiration or replacement requirement.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 14 2005, 01:10 PM
    The '06 GCR does not mention replacement dates.

So unlike the restraints which must be dated, I read this is I must have an SFI rated window next and there is not expiration or replacement requirement.
    [snapback]68247[/snapback]

Ahh...you must dig deeper, Grasshopper. Go look at the SFI's own requirements:

http://www.sfifoundation.com/speclist.html

SFI 27.1 specifies a 2 year replacement interval.

So...the question remails..."Do window nets now have to be dated, and do they now 'expire' at some interval"....or was this an inadvertant language change in the GCR ?

My interpretation has been that in order to "meet" the SFI specification the replacement and expiration parts of the standard are implicit in GCR.

If it isn't dated or if it is expired I don't see how the net has met the SFI specification. An expired or undated net no longer meets the specification.
    Ed.

Ok but everything else that is to be replaced mentions it should be dated. So like you im confused. its not a huge expense, its just a PITA when changes like this happen and the rule is not as clear as other rules.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Well, what a pisser this is. Of course, "here we go again" on another rules discussion...

17.30 says, in part, "...all window nets shall meet SFI Specification 27.1." SFI 27.1 requires "recertification" every two years. Thus, I read the rule to mean our window nets must be replaced (or reinspected) every two years.

It's the same conundrum as the FIA seats; 18.2.10 sates, in aprt, "Seats homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure." FIA standard 8855-1999 (http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...ition_seat.pdf) states, in part, "The usable life of an FIA homologated seat will be 5 years from the date of manufacture indicated on the seat label." Thus, I read the rule to mean that FIA-approved seats have a useful life of 5 years in SCCA.

That's OK, there weren't that many things I could have spent my money on... - GA

Wait until the Club throws head and neck restraints into that same system. Anyone want to revisit the mission of http://www.headrestraint.org before it comes to that?

K

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 14 2005, 04:43 PM
    Well, what a pisser this is. Of course, "here we go again" on another rules discussion...

Maybe make new nets out of all those forged pistons...

This crap with SFI is totally out of control. Once again it's a scheme to sell more products for their members. What BS.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

what scheme? wouldn't you say the same about FIA and SNELL? or how about UL for household products. Its all a bit scheme right?

Seriously, what does a net cost, 30 bucks? I just want to know if they have to be dated and replaced thats all. Unlike with belts its not clearly mentioned that it has to be dated only that it has to have passed the certification. If thats the case, then I wont have to do anything.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

The wording is not that they have to "have passed certification", as in ever.

The wording is that they have to MEET certification. The tense is current it has to meet certification at the time of tech and use. SFI certification expires, dates older than two years will not meet certification currently and should fail tech for not meeting certification at that time. The simple logic should not escape anyone with the capacity to have a drivers or racing license.

While some may think explicit wording in the GCR is neccessary, it isn't the logic of meeting certification or not is simple. Though apparently it would be nice to add it explicitly for the benefit of people who insist on arguing to no apparent point.

Nothing says the GCR and its rules will be laid out in a consistent manner and any inconsistencies should be taken in the context of meaning anything more or less than what it says. The lack of an explicit date does not in any manner negate the language that is there which states meets certification. It does not rely at all on the wording of other safety requirements for its own interpretation.

Heck I don't care show up with an expired net, you should fail tech. I am pretty sure OG keeps plenty of window nets in stock at SP.
    Ed.

ok so we replace them every two years, big whoop. where is the big conspiricy? Given how explicit they are with other expiring items, I would give the CRB the benifit of a doubt that they would at least be less vauge here.

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 15 2005, 01:25 PM
    ok so we replace them every two years, big whoop.
    [snapback]68369[/snapback]
    Are you going to say the same thing when our drivers suits, gloves, shoes and undies are all thrown out every two years? This is as big a deal a rules creep and it's even starting in the same way. For the sake of saftey we are going to do one thing and it doesn't cost that much. Next thing you know we are all dropping a thousand dollars every two years while throwing a lot of good equipment in the trash.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Nothing says anything has to be thrown away. It can be recertified if the condition warrants.

SFI does not require recertification for 3.2/5 and below suits. Recertification is already required for those who want to maintain the higher ratings 3.2/10 and above.
    Ed.

Originally posted by turboICE@Dec 15 2005, 11:54 AM
    SFI does not require recertification for 3.2/5 and below suits.
    Not yet anyway...... But with the belts now needing to be certified every two years, pretty soon SCCA is gonna "SFI" themselves right out of business.
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf