Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2006 GCR is out

Originally posted by turboICE@Dec 15 2005, 01:54 PM
    Nothing says anything has to be thrown away. It can be recertified if the condition warrants.

SFI does not require recertification for 3.2/5 and below suits. Recertification is already required for those who want to maintain the higher ratings 3.2/10 and above.
    [snapback]68375[/snapback]
    While the SFI spec may allow recertification in practice how often is it done? Already in the case of belts few of the manufacturers will recertify the hardware much less the belts. I doubt the outlook for recertifying gloves, shoes, suits and underwear is going to be any better. After all would you want to inspect used nomex socks? Never mind the cost, you would still probably end up spending a couple hundred in shipping and inspection fees. And then there is the inevitable conflict of interest in a manufacturing deciding if your used equipment is good or they would just prefer you buy new.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

My belts don't require recertification every two years.
    Ed.

Didn't say anything about what would happen in practice only that the requirement is for recertification, nothing in the SFI says it has to be replaced unless it fails recertification.

I wouldn't want to touch/use my nomex socks after 4 weekends I don't want them anywhere near me less likely recertified.

I guess I just have bigger fish to fry than fretting that there is some helmet, suit, net, seat & harness conspiracy. I am much more concerned about the H&N conspiracy and why they no one can tell me with any certainty how long or if I will be able to use the Issac.
    Ed.

Originally posted by Drew Aldred@Dec 15 2005, 01:18 PM
    Not yet anyway...... But with the belts now needing to be certified every two years, pretty soon SCCA is gonna "SFI" themselves right out of business.
    [snapback]68381[/snapback]

Dude, they already are. the cost of this hobby has just become way to much for most average income people even at a regional level. I lot of people used to get started with used suits and helmets or sharing or what ever, SFI and all of thesse groups are killing those people off. It amazes me when I go out to the local dirt bullring and see what they don't require.....Can you race an ITZ on dirt?
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

You all do know that SFI gets $$ every time something with one of their tags gets sold, right?

K

Originally posted by Knestis@Dec 15 2005, 02:41 PM
    You all do know that SFI gets $$ every time something with one of their tags gets sold, right?

K
    [snapback]68391[/snapback]

Well because I had to order seat belts for 5 cars today....I had my vendor call club racing and ask about window nets... There is no 2 year requirement on nets. That is direct from club racing.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 15 2005, 04:16 PM
    I had my vendor call club racing and ask about window nets... There is no 2 year requirement on nets. That is direct from club racing.
    [snapback]68398[/snapback]
    Joe, I emailed Topeka and got the same response. However, we're back to the "JoeH way of reading rules": the rules, as written, most decisively say the nets have to be replaced.

They may SAY that it's not what they intended, but that ain't what the rules say...I'm going to be doing annual techs in a couple of months (or less), and I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do about this... - GA

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 15 2005, 05:55 PM
    Joe, I emailed Topeka and got the same response. However, we're back to the "JoeH way of reading rules": the rules, as written, most decisively say the nets have to be replaced.

They may SAY that it's not what they intended, but that ain't what the rules say...I'm going to be doing annual techs in a couple of months (or less), and I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do about this... - GA
    [snapback]68408[/snapback]

No Greg, I have to agree with your read. I will be doing tech also and I am not sure how to handle it either. I had a venor make contact because I thought I would get better answers. I think if the vendor thought there was any chance to get me for 5 window nets today he would have. Hopefully it will be fixed E&O quickly cause some of us just get tired of guessing.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by JamesB@Dec 15 2005, 10:52 AM
    what scheme? wouldn't you say the same about FIA and SNELL? or how about UL for household products. Its all a bit scheme right?

Seriously, what does a net cost, 30 bucks? I just want to know if they have to be dated and replaced thats all. Unlike with belts its not clearly mentioned that it has to be dated only that it has to have passed the certification. If thats the case, then I wont have to do anything.
    [snapback]68365[/snapback]
    SFI is not an independent organization. It is an organization by and for the manufacturers. Do a little research. If they require items to be replaced every 2 years instead of 5, their members (those for whom they exist) get to sell 2.5x as many. First it was belts. Now it's nets (as if nets go bad after 2 years - be real). Next you'll have to replace your SFI certified H&N device every 2 years. Won't that be nice?

I did considerable research into the belt issue when that came up. The science was horribly flawed and based upon 40 year old data from a similar but different material. I wrote to SFI to get their test requirements for belt certification and they are a total joke.

As I said, do a little research.

Snell is an independent organization and I would welcome one for certifying other safety equipment. The FIA is not totally independent, but it's not beholden to the manufacturers either. Wherever possible I will buy FIA homologated safety gear instead of SFI. That means belts every 5 years instead of 2.

And Joe is right, it used to be you could buy serviceable used safety gear for a budget effort. Forget that today.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 15 2005, 08:55 PM
    ...the rules, as written, most decisively say the nets have to be replaced.

[snapback]68408[/snapback]

How to deal with this ? It needs to be in writing, so that everyone is on the same page. The last thing anyone needs is to get an annual, but then get tagged at Impound later in the year by a Scrutineer who has a different 'opinion' of what the rule says. Maybe a Tech Bulletin to the Divisional Chief Scruts...whatever...but it needs to be on paper...with a letter head on top.

Someone (not me, I'm busy) needs to compose a thoughtful letter to the Club Racing Technical Department (Jeremy Thoennes), along with the National Adminstrator of Scruineers (Bill Pichardo), and copy both the Nat. Administrator of Stewards (Costa) and the Club Racing office (Bryan).

Jeremy Thoennes [email protected]

Bill Pichardo [email protected]

Costa Dunias [email protected]

Bryan Cohn [email protected]

We need to take the guesswork out of the GCR. That may mean it has to be thicker. So be it.

Originally posted by JohnRW@Dec 16 2005, 09:51 AM
    Someone...needs to compose a thoughtful letter to the Club Racing...
    Since I'm Tech, I'll do it; thanks for the easy contact information. Jeremy is the one that reponded to me that "the SCCA does not currently have a certification life for fuel cells, seats, or window nets". Unfortunately, while that may be the intent...

Let's not all hammer them with emails until I get a response. - GA