Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 GCR is out

Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Yay and it isn't locked from copying to paste! Watch out for the stream of quotes from all the rules nerds - no more typing.
    Ed.

Kirk and Greg will be on a roll now.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Awesome ! The e36 BMW in ITS gets to ditch the SIR and the e30 gets it, WOW.

Must be a conspiracy :119:
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Originally posted by Fastfred92@Dec 5 2005, 08:36 PM
    Awesome ! The e36 BMW in ITS gets to ditch the SIR and the e30 gets it, WOW.
    Seriously, is that a misprint? The E36 weight is still 2850 pounds, and the restrictor plate is gone.

Do I really end up getting the winter off?

Originally posted by MikeBlaszczak@Dec 6 2005, 01:22 AM
    Seriously, is that a misprint? The E36 weight is still 2850 pounds, and the restrictor plate is gone.

Do I really end up getting the winter off?
    [snapback]67411[/snapback]
    I am pretty sure it is a misprint but man if I had a e36 ITS car I sure would print a copy of this and run my first race of 06 without the SIR!
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

First, an SIR and a plate restrictor are two very different things..the E36 runs a plate and NO IT car has ever run an SIR.

The E36 has been discussed, but as far as I know there has been no final decision.
    (And of all the options, retaining the weight and dropping the restrictor...wasn't one of them...sorry!)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Ok...so I&#39;m building a SM....did I read it correctly that you cannot balance and blueprint a Spec Miata motor??? How in gods name are they getting the power out of them without that?? 5K for a motor???? fancy parts? hmmm <_<
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Originally posted by zracre@Dec 5 2005, 11:36 PM
    Ok...so I&#39;m building a SM....did I read it correctly that you cannot balance and blueprint a Spec Miata motor??? How in gods name are they getting the power out of them without that?? 5K for a motor???? fancy parts? hmmm <_<
    [snapback]67435[/snapback]
    don&#39;t kid yourself, they are. they just do it via "parts bin blueprinting" instead of the typical machining method. unfortunately, the parts bin method results in "factory" 6000 motors. they do this by literally purchasing bins full of motor parts, and hand pick out the lightest and the ones that are the closest in weight.

i could go much deeper into how they&#39;re making power, but that&#39;s for another thread.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Originally posted by tnord@Dec 6 2005, 01:53 AM

i could go much deeper into how they&#39;re making power, but that&#39;s for another thread.
    [snapback]67437[/snapback]
    If you do go deeper into it in another thread...dont leave me in the dust!!! I&#39;d like to know more as I would like to increase my chances as much as legally possible!!!! Thanks!!
    Evan Darling
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005

On the SM engine question, there&#39;s no published tolerence for the cam pulley keyways. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

K

So, are these all of the changes for &#39;06? Any of the other adjustments that have been discussed will wait for &#39;07 (if they will happen at all)?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by zracre@Dec 5 2005, 10:36 PM
    ...you cannot balance and blueprint a Spec Miata motor???
    [snapback]67435[/snapback]
    Evan, that is correct, you are not allowed to do so. However, as pointed out, it&#39;s being done primarily because it is totaly unenforcable. Machine work can be done in such a way as it looks factory (after all, the factory has to do it) and who&#39;s to say your engine didn&#39;t come from the factory that way?

Do a search on specmiata.com forums and you&#39;ll find SCADS of threads arguing these exact issues.

To the topic at hand: has anyone sent a note to the CRB to issue an Errors and Omissions on the E36/E30 spec lines? We&#39;re all talking about it, but I&#39;ve not seen where anyone has acted on it... - GA

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 6 2005, 02:16 PM

To the topic at hand: has anyone sent a note to the CRB to issue an Errors and Omissions on the E36/E30 spec lines? We&#39;re all talking about it, but I&#39;ve not seen where anyone has acted on it... - GA
    [snapback]67449[/snapback]

I for one hope it does not get caught, it would be a interesting year on the forums to see the RX7 guys go nuts about this !

Just kidding
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Originally posted by zracre@Dec 6 2005, 08:27 AM
    If you do go deeper into it in another thread...dont leave me in the dust!!! I&#39;d like to know more as I would like to increase my chances as much as legally possible!!!! Thanks!!
    [snapback]67443[/snapback]
    kirk is on the right track, using slop in various bolt holes in the water pump (i&#39;m not quite sure how this one works) and crank pulleys essentially allows you to alter cam timing a degree or two. as mentioned, balanced and blueprinted motors, REM&#39;d cranks, cams, gearboxes, rear ends etc is another. i&#39;ve heard whispers of people opening up the AFM (which is now legal) and not only adjusting the flap in there, but zapping some of the resistors with a laser to change something or other. removing a miniscule amount of material and polishing hub bearings on hubs repacked with low friction synthetic grease is another trick. ceramic coated pistons as well as the inside of a header are some others i&#39;ve heard of. fiddling with ECU&#39;s via a method i&#39;m not aware of.

i&#39;m sure there&#39;s more out there, i&#39;m just not exactly sure what they are.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Originally posted by lateapex911@Dec 6 2005, 04:18 AM
    First, an SIR and a plate restrictor are two very different things..the E36 runs a plate and NO IT car has ever run an SIR.

The E36 has been discussed, but as far as I know there has been no final decision.
    (And of all the options, retaining the weight and dropping the restrictor...wasn&#39;t one of them...sorry!)
    Do we have an ETA for accurate information?

Originally posted by MikeBlaszczak@Dec 6 2005, 07:02 PM
    Do we have an ETA for accurate information?
    [snapback]67478[/snapback]
    For the BMWs? If that&#39;s what you mean, simply swap the notes lines for the E30 and E36, and that would be correct. This can be verified by following the 2005 GCR and the subsequent Fastracks; somethow those two got swapped when the &#39;06 GCr was written up. - GA

well the only stuff im going to do now is mill the head for proper comp ratio, install saferacer exhaust, new injectors, water pump, new timing belt with aforementioned slop for proper timing then tune on a dyno doing as much as I can with the AFM adjustments and timing. I am curious how much power it will produce...stock 110k bottom end...
    Evan Darling
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005

Evan, I told you some Miatas were more speck than others. They usually run close to the back of the field.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Originally posted by GregAmy@Dec 7 2005, 01:54 AM
    For the BMWs? If that&#39;s what you mean, simply swap the notes lines for the E30 and E36, and that would be correct. This can be verified by following the 2005 GCR and the subsequent Fastracks; somethow those two got swapped when the &#39;06 GCr was written up. - GA
    So my race weight has gone down to 2750? Or are you saying just the "Notes" column? Then there is no race weight increase for E36es in the 2006 season?