Thread: Sparco Sprint, need a back brace?

According to Sparco the seat is FIA certified, and according to the rules it doesn't need a back brace...But is this right for such a low cost seat? How do I mount it to the car, the standard Sparco mounts?
    Driver School: Complete (April 2007)
    Regional License requirements: Complete (June 2007)
    Race Car: Renting, started building my own
    First Win: TBD (3rd in Pumpkin enduro! ITA)

You didn't really ask the question I'm answering (nothing new there) but if the Sprint is the tube-framed one, you might want to think about spending the extra dough to step up to a better model. They just aren't very comfortable and I *personally* have my concerns with their strength.

I don't know if the Sprint has side mounts or bottom mounts but, either way, the dealer should be able to tell you how to secure it.

K

Originally posted by Knestis@Dec 14 2005, 11:53 PM
    You didn't really ask the question I'm answering (nothing new there) but if the Sprint is the tube-framed one, you might want to think about spending the extra dough to step up to a better model. They just aren't very comfortable and I *personally* have my concerns with their strength.

I don't know if the Sprint has side mounts or bottom mounts but, either way, the dealer should be able to tell you how to secure it.

K
    [snapback]68321[/snapback]
    One of our Miatas has a Sprint and it is a very comfortable seat. It is not a tube frame seat, it is made of fiberglass. The seat fits me, and my co-drivers in the 13 hour, very well actually. It has provisions for bottom mounting and there is no drama involved in getting it set up that way. It does not need a back brace nor do I feel it needs one, it is decently strong. I am sure there are stronger seats though, but I feel comfortable racing with it and the money saved over a $600 seat will help me get a Hans device.

Ron
    The Sparco Sprint seat is a tube frame seat. This is right from the SparcoUSA website:

"Recognized as a great value, the Sprint is one of the most widely used competition seats in the world. Constructed with a tubular steel frame, the Sprint offers unequalled support and safety.

FIA homologated"

The Sprint is a bottom mount seat.

eMMkay
    You are not required to have a seat back brace provided the seat is ridgedly mounted (meaning it does not slide). Although the Sprint seat is FIA homologated, I believe that there are much better seats in the Sparco line for not much more money. I would much rather see anyone in a fiberglass seat than a tube frame seat.

If you have further questions PM me.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker

"Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Originally posted by dave parker@Dec 15 2005, 10:44 AM
    Ron
    The Sparco Sprint seat is a tube frame seat. This is right from the SparcoUSA
    [snapback]68337[/snapback]

Sorry if I've gotten confused - I was thinking I bought a Sprint for #43 but maybe I didn't. It is a Sparco seat at least! Looking at the site it appears we have an Ultra seat and not the Sprint. Again, my apologies.

Ron

It is an Ultra and it is fiberglass.

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Unhappy

Not trying to hijack a thread, just wanted clarification. If I have a Momo FIA homolagated seat that is firmly bottom mounted, it does not require a back brace. However, if this same seat is mounted on sliders, then it does require a back brace. Is this correct?

Thanks
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

There's no SCCA rule that speaks to sliders - you need to refer to the FIA for that. You get a pass on the back brace (itself a stupid thing, by my way of looking at it) if you have current FIA homologation and have followed their mounting rules.

K