Thread: Stored 1st gen now showing no oil pressure

1st gen car has been stored. Has high pressure oil regulator. Has factory oil pressure guage in dash plus a oil pressure guage with a warning light plumbed in. Motor had great pressure when put in storage. Recently when I went to start, all guages were not registering any pressure. Oil dip stick shows full.

If it wasn't for two different oil pressure measuring points (stock location and the added block oil filterfor mounting aftermarket guage and light) I would assume the guage or sending unit was faulty.

First guess is oil pump has failed. Any other ideas? Is it common for the oil pump just to stop working when motor isn't run frequently? How can I confirm the diagnosis without getting to the oil pump?

To confirm the oil pump doesn't work, unscrew one of the pressure gauges and see if oil comes out. I recommend doing it at the end of the line and sticking said line in a bucket, otherwise you end up with a big mess on the floor.

Sounds like a strange occurance... I've heard of oil pumps failing, but not without warning.
    RX-7 & Miata Parts, Rentals, etc.
    www.taylorrotorsports.com

I had a first gen that did the same thing. I found a clogged Oil cooler. By pass the cooler and see what happens. There is also an oring behind the front cover that can go bad. That would be my back up guess.

Eric

It's rare, but occaisionally the oil pumps have a problem priming. Try pouring oil into both passages that come up to the stock oil filter location (I don't remember which one comes from the pump, so fill them both--full up). Then try cranking it again and see if it builds pressure.
    O-rings at the front cover and at the oil pickup may also be culprits.

Let us know what you find!

Tak
    #29 ITA SFR

Did you ever figure out the OP loss?