Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a bombshell for you...

This just came to me and it comes from a pretty reliable source... hold on to your hats.

It seems as though SEDIV officials had a somewhat secret meeting back in late July. In that meeting they tabled an issue that would reduce races and limit any one region to one National, two Regionals and one driver's school. Furthermore, only the eight regions currently putting on races would be allowed to continue to do so, basically eliminating the other 10 SEDIV regions from ever putting on a race.

So if this goes through you will have to travel to at least two regions just to keep your license and if you want to do any more than four races get ready for a longer tow. This pretty much screws Central Florida and Florida regions to the max along with all of their drivers. I doubt Nationals will be too affected but IT racing will be crushed including all of the combo National/Regional events like the Pro-IT weekends.

This is yet another slap in the face to drivers by overbearing and greedy officials taking away our fun at our expense steering races to specific regions and specific tracks. They were trying to keep this secret until the vote at the Divisional meeting but it got leaked and it's something everybody should know about. This can't be allowed to happen. To tell you the truth, if it does, I wouldn't be surprised to see Central Florida and Florida start their own club and you can sure as heck say bye bye to the best regional series in the country, the SARRC.

I am following up on the issue with some other sources and will try and keep you posted.
    The majority shall rule.

44 views and no reply. I'll be first.

Matt,
    We know that some of your posts in the past have been a little critical of SCCA and some questionable dealings/practices. With that, I will still say that as a CFR member who rarely leaves the region, I would be extremely unhappy to see this "plan" become fact.

If you do hear anything else on this subject that is fact, please post and let us all know.

Has anyone else heard of this? Certainly Matt isn't the only person on this board with contacts and extra ears listening...

I don't see the black helicopters circling Orlando yet. If I do, I'll let everyone know.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

I have just confirmed for sure that this is being talked about by someone who was at the meeting. It's being looked at as a way to distribute the racing more evenly and fairly among SEDIV regions. It most affects the SARRC and some National racers. It needs to get out and needs to be knocked out of the park. We've got a great thing going here in FL and they want to distribute it so they can expand their borders on our nickel.
    The majority shall rule.

And I'll tell you one other thing. This smacks of an old SCCA official's tactic of keeping it quiet until it's too late to mobilize against it. It's been a common practice. I went through it with SM and there are a few of the same folks involved. Keep us in the dark and not allow any anti-sentiment to develop while they firm up their plans.

Don't let it happen! Pass the word. But I can guarantee for sure they're trying to do it. I now have four sources that are aware of the issue who were there.
    The majority shall rule.

Now confirmed by a fourth official. None too happy to say the least.
    The majority shall rule.

Someone has to play the dunce here, so I guess I'll bite.

Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 17 2005, 01:37 PM
    ...It's being looked at as a way to distribute the racing more evenly and fairly among SEDIV regions....
    [snapback]65696[/snapback]
    This is the part I don't get. If there is a demand for races outside the FL area, won't those regions establish local races? To my knowledge there is not a cap on the number of races for a Division, so why the need to move any?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by gsbaker@Nov 17 2005, 02:08 PM
    Someone has to play the dunce here, so I guess I'll bite.
    This is the part I don't get. If there is a demand for races outside the FL area, won't those regions establish local races? To my knowledge there is not a cap on the number of races for a Division, so why the need to move any?
    [snapback]65715[/snapback]
    Here is the NARRC Schedule...the PTB have made a nice effort to spread out the points events throughout the tracks in-region.

Driver’s Schools
    April 21-22 NHIS NER
    June 17 Lime Rock NER

Narrc Regionals
    April 23 NHIS Regional NER
    May 13-14 Pocono NJR double
    May 27-28 NHIS NER triple Nerrc, double Narrc
    June 17 Lime Rock NER
    July 4 Lime Rock Mo-Hud
    July 8-9 NHIS NER double
    July 22-23 Watkins Glen Glen
    August 18-19 Lime Rock NJR
    August 26-27 NHIS NER plus enduro
    September 9-10 NHIS NER double
    October 20-21 Lime Rock Narrc Runnoffs NYR

Help us understand the issue better...on the surface, it doesn't seem crazy, just equitible - unless they are creating a false demand by limiting events just for the sake of limiting them - not Regional equity.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

They want to play with the supply and demand model. By limiting the number of races in the popular places they feel they can force people to go to other regions. At least that's the gist of it.
    The majority shall rule.

Originally posted by Mattberg@Nov 17 2005, 03:30 PM
    They want to play with the supply and demand model. By limiting the number of races in the popular places they feel they can force people to go to other regions. At least that's the gist of it.
    [snapback]65728[/snapback]
    But the question remains...is that the best thing for the Region as a whole? Seems like they could have just included other tracks in other Regions in the points structure like we do up here. They haven't limited the amount of races - and actually have added some - but the points structure incents inter-Regional travel and participation.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Also, if this were an attempt at reasonable distribution why would they eliminate 10 regions from ever holding a race. This is purely a play to capture Florida rgeion racers that they have to dat been losing out on. I can't confirm and nobody will tell me but I'd bet the farm that this entire thing was being sponsored by somebody from the Buccaneer region who owns a POS track that a lot of people just don't want to go to and they're pissed that we won't, and pissed that our numbers at Sebring, Moroso and Daytona are so much better than what they do.
    The majority shall rule.

The meeting was hardly "secret." It was discussed at the regularly scheduled mid-year RE's meeting. The Atlanta Region Asst RE reported the discussion to the Atlanta Board of Directors. It will be discussed again at the SEDIV convention in January, and even then it will probably not be finalized.

The report we got was that the goal is to allow more regions to hold races, not to limit it to the gang of eight.

The key phrase is "nothing is finalized" so if you have suggestions or comments, contact your RE.

The report we got from our Asst RE is that the regions would be limited to one national per TRACK, with an exception for the Double at Roebling. That means Central Florida could presumably still have Nationals at Sebring and Daytona. Likewise Florida Region could do the same with Homestead and Moroso.

The only track (other than Roebling) that currently holds two Nationals is Road Atlanta. The consensus of the Atlanta Board is that this would not be a big burden on us if we lose the June National.

The SEDIV has a lot of tracks, with more potentially opening. The GCR limits the division to 12 Nationals. I believe the RE's are taking a proactive step toward parity in the division and actually trying to open up racing to more regions.

Also, as I understand the proposal - the idea is to limit the number of SARRC races to two per TRACK. And regions would still free to hold as many non-SARRC regional races as they please.

Bob Hudson
    Atlanta Region Board Member

Bob Hudson
    National Steward

And why after talking to over 20 drivers today do none of them know anything of this proposal? Don't BS us. Are you a driver Mr. Hudson? Are you a driver who drives in eight Florida SARRC races? Are you a Florida driver that will be reduced to driving every SARRC race in his/her region just to keep their license instead of being able to attend four out of eight?

Sorry. I know "official speak" when I hear it. The same lot of you lied your asses off on the Spec Miata issue with Bill Weston and the rest of the BoD fronting your wants and needs to preserve your precious regional revenues you never share with the drivers. The bottom line is this. Officials need to start learning that this is a driver's club, not an official's club. If it came down to it, we would survive without you. You cannot survive without us. That needs to be understood once and for all. You want to be useful, figure out how to attract workers and don't get involved in how or where we race or your petty territorial wars in which you have no stake. Be careful, CFR and Florida could just as likely go off on their own and leave SEDIV with their thumbs up their heineys. It happened back in 1991-92. Remember? Don't force that card. I just want DRIVERS to know what you guys are talking about in your little meetings you don't tell anyone about.
    The majority shall rule.

Oh, my goodness. Since I am on the Atlanta Region Executive Board, I heard the same report from the Divisional Mid Year meeting. I didn't take it to be a secret either. However, I think, before anyone gets real upset about this, they should ask their RE or someone that attended the meeting for the details. Matt, you had some of the details, but not all of them, as I know the story. Oh, by the way, not only do I work my fanny off at the race track six events a year, Fletcher and I race 6 to 8 Nationals and 6 Regional and the Runoffs each year; and we hold offices and chairs of committees in the Atlanta Region. I think I or we have earned the right to comment on just about everything that goes on in SCCA. I have found a better way to influence decisions; join in and be a part of organizing and running this organization. Give back as much as you take. Your voice then carries more respect and credibility. Then many times it works out just like you wanted it to.

Fair enough - I'm a former driver. I am a current board member of a racing region, a licensed flagger and a steward in training so I do have an interest in maintining a healthy racing program in the SEDIV. I also understand that club racing should be primarily focused on the desires of the drivers with a balance towards expanding racing in the SEDIV to those regions that would like to do so.

That being said, I suggest you contact your RE and express your opinion of this proposal.

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson
    National Steward

Mr. Hudson is the Atlanta region worker chief.
    He, like all of our workers, is awesome.

Thanks for being an ass and talking to the guy that protects my ass while I'm racing like you just did. That was a real good job. Got any more tricks for us?

Most of you guys rarely leave Florida anyway. Personally I couldn't give a rats ass if you guys started your own club. From a drivers standpoint it would hardly effect the rest of the division.
    I went to the May ECR at Daytona and met 8 drivers in my class that I'd never met before. Why? Well, they never leave Florida. Meanwhile, the rest of us travel from Georgia to Florida to VIR and everywhere in between. If we want to race the majority of the Florida guys, we have to come down there.
    So... Make your own club. Who cares.

Just My Humble Opinion.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Bob,
    If the plan being discussed is to restrict the number of national reaces to one per track, limit the SARRC's to two per track, but have no restriction on regular, regional races, I support that plan. National guys might object, but it seems it would have little effect on the IT racers.
    My research doesnt' exactly support the report that Matt gave.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Thanks for being an ass and talking to the guy that protects my ass while I'm racing like you just did. That was a real good job. Got any more tricks for us?
    catch 22

Scott
    Matt specializes in this sort of behavoir on every racing forum I have seen. If you ignore him long enough he will go away.

The funny part is that Matt races a Spec Miata, but chose to come to IT.com to peddle his own special brand of garbage. I just looked on SM.com and did not see a post about this issue. Must not be important to them, i guess.

Sorry about the thread hijack......Please return to your regularly scheduled frivolity.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    wdcr ITC->HP #97

"Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Originally posted by dave parker@Nov 17 2005, 10:45 PM
    catch 22

Scott
    Matt specializes in this sort of behavoir on every racing forum I have seen. If you ignore him long enough he will go away.

The funny part is that Matt races a Spec Miata, but chose to come to IT.com to peddle his own special brand of garbage. I just looked on SM.com and did not see a post about this issue. Must not be important to them, i guess.
    Sorry about the thread hijack......Please return to your regularly scheduled frivolity.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    wdcr ITC->HP #97
    [snapback]65756[/snapback]
    That's funny since with Spec Miata going National, you would think that the thoughts mentioned buy Sandy and Bob would be more detrimental to the SM guys than us here in IT land.

Not the first time he has stirred stuff up, that's why i asked our RE, race chairman, and a few other the story. I would suggest that anyone else with questions do the same. Unfortuantely, not all the information posted on the internet is accurate.

Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Bob, thanks for the info and do not feel special Matt acts like to jerk to most people. if I were to guess I waould say he probably has lost posting privleges at the sm site.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Wow.........

I have GOT to spend less time at this thing called "work" and devote entire days persuing paranoia!

Thanks for the earthshattering, hat blowing news...but last I checked, all my hats were present and accounted for, undisturbed...

Matt....do you know Mr Hudson? Why the total rude and disrespectul approach? I, and others, find it totally unacceptable, and completely without integrity.

Sigh............................
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com