Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1999 Miata in ITS?

I am far from any kind of IT expert, but:

From the GCR:

To maintain the stock basis of Improved Touring, updating and/or
    backdating of components is only permitted within cars of the same
    make, model, body type (e.g., sedan, station wagon, convertible, etc.),
    and engine size as listed on a single Improved Touring Specification Line.
    [/b]
    While the quote is valid, you have to expand further. The 1.6 and 1.8 Miata's are on different lines in the ITCS so the swap is NOT legal.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I coming from the standpoint diffs were legal, not updating/backdating across spec lines... my bad.

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

While the quote is valid, you have to expand further. The 1.6 and 1.8 Miata's are on different lines in the ITCS so the swap is NOT legal.

AB
    [/b]

That's exactly what I meant. I thought it spoke for itself!! Especially since it references engine size right in there as well.

Matt
    Matt Daniels
    NER #12 SSM

Hello all,

I'm a total IT newbie but have been around Miatas for a while. In the interest of sharing info, here is what I know about the hardware changes between the 94-95 and 96-97 Miatas:

94-95: 8.8:1 compression ratio pistons, ODB-I, 4-wire coil packs, optical CAS, factory rated hp @ 128
    96-97: 9.0:1 compression ratio pistons, ODB-II, 3-wire coil packs, magnetic CAS, 2nd O2 sensor post cat, factory rated @133hp

Mid-way through '95, Mazda moved to the true 9.0:1 pistons and added the ODB-II electronics, but did not use them (no 2nd O2 sensor).

In 1996, ODB-II was put to full use, including the 2nd O2 sensor, which is post cat. I believe the additional O2 sensor makes up for most of the 5hp gain (allows better control over fueling, ie: leaner), but the increased compression probably helps a bit too. I'm not sure of the advantage, if any, between the 3 and 4-wire coil packs (4th wire was the tach signal).

The differences above are probably why Spec Miata requires different throttle restrictors for 94-95 vs 96-97 Miatas.
    Will
    # 72 Miata ITA
    1.6 liters of furious power!