Originally posted by Colin Harmer@Nov 20 2005, 12:36 PM
SM pole at the ARRC 1:44:525
ITA Pole at the ARRC 1:42:458 (CRX Si)

There didn't seem to be a competetitve ITA Miata at Atlanta this year, so we can't really validate any results from this. But....

I don't think it's un reasonalble for a Miata in IT Trim to be able to find 2 seconds and "get in the game" in this class.

I look at:
-Suspension (good d/a shocks, adjustable bars, spring rate choice, light rims, bushings)
-Rear End
-Head (port matched, .5 compression bump)
-No restrictor
-Exhaust (race header)
-Fuel Mapping (ECU mods/replacement)

And think to myself that there's at least 1.5-2 seconds in all of this.

I think a competitive ITA Miata is a pretty solid bet....Time to start the deep thought process!
[snapback]66067[/snapback]
I have seen this kind of thought process before and I don't buy into it. Here is why:

- SM's run in packs. On tracks like WGI, just running with another car or two can lower your lap times by OVER A SECOND due to aero.
- SM's do not hold each other up in corners. Anytime they run with other classes, racing times are significantly lower.

I do think the cars will get faster but by no means will they dominate. They should qualify well but when cars that are slower in corners and faster on the straights (CRX's, Integra's, 240SX's) get in front of them, it kills the ability to run what they can run alone. I do think they can run up front, but maybe not front, front. I just don't think the math is linear from SM to ITA like it may be in other examples.

Now having said all that, Bred DePedro has succeeded both at long tracks and short but his progam is matched only by his driving. I hope I can be as successful!

AB