Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 ARRC

Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 17 2005, 07:57 PM
    Of course then there was also the two windows on the far left that were for Atlanta region members only. How nice for them, two fully manned windows with no line at them while there's a two hour wait for everyone else......who paid the same (if not more) to be there. Hmmm....
    I'm pretty sure that statement can't be true. I'm an Atl Region member and I've never heard of it. I would be surprised if anyone in our region would think that would be okay to do. Generally, the people who work hard to organize this race go out of their way to make sure visitors enjoy the experience. It's not perfect and many things could be improved, but I was surprised to see this accusation.
    Russ McBride
    Marietta, GA
    Van Diemen RF94 F1000

I raised an eyebrow to that too....to my recollection that wasn't evident in previous years.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Ok, I suppose I should say that information was relayed to me. Those two windows had no line at them and people would occasionally come up to them for something. So as I was standing in line, I asked what those two windows were being used for and was told by a couple of other people waiting out front that they were being used for registration of Atlanta region members. If that was wrong information, I appologize.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Not competing this year, I had another gripe (and it's probably not something Atlanta region has any control over)...

The concession area:

1) If you're going to be open until 2:30 pm, then have food until 2:30 pm!! Also, 2:30 seems a bit early to be closing, especially for those thrashing hard on cars to get them ready.

2) How about an attitude adjustment? The people working in there were some of the most unfriendly people I have met.

3) How about a better selection, too? After travelling 900 miles, I don't want to have to worry about packing a lunch, but don't want to survive on burgers and hotdogs, either.

It is possible that I am spoiled by Road America, but I certainly expected better. I had forgotten how much this irritated me last year, until I was down there this year again...
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Having some breakfast foods would be nice too! Maybe even coffee?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by gran racing@Nov 18 2005, 10:59 AM
    Having some breakfast foods would be nice too! Maybe even coffee?
    [snapback]65847[/snapback]
    We just need to bring more cooks!!!!! ours was working overtime with the jambalaya and gumbo...and i wont even tell you the lunch we had on thursday...you will just get jealous! coming back from practice and qualifying and the first thing you do is get out and smell the food.....
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Of course then there was also the two windows on the far left that were for Atlanta region members only.

This is complete and total bullshit.
    There is no such window. Never has been.

I am an Atlanta Region member and I registered at the far left window, after standing in line for over an hour with everyone else.

Things like this just piss me off. The behavior is so completely middle school thats its beyond my grasp that adults would even discuss it.

Volkswagen throwing money at the ITAC
    Special registration windows
    Secret Board meetings
    A conspiracy against Florida drivers

Its all utterly ridiculous.

I have one thing to say to folks that believe stuff like this... "NASA"
    Have fun.

Yes, I'm pissed.
    Our volunteers work too goddamned hard to be accused of this crap by a bunch of whiners on the internet. If you don't like it or think you are somehow being cheated... Volunteer for a position and look at it from the inside.

I&#39;ve been on the Atlanta Region board and can promise you that nothing funny EVER happened. No conspiracies, no special registration windows, no playing favorites when getting your number for the ARRC (I didn&#39;t get mine last year). Or maybe they have these meetings and I just was never invited. <_<

Scott, who wishes some of you guys knew how silly you sound sometimes.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Originally posted by R2 Racing@Nov 18 2005, 12:47 AM
    As I was standing in line, I asked what those two windows were being used for and was told by a couple of other people waiting out front that they were being used for registration of Atlanta region members. If that was wrong information, I appologize.

It seemed rediculous to me as well, hence why it was brought up. The question of "what didn&#39;t you like? what would you change?" shouldn&#39;t be asked if it can&#39;t be answered. It was an issue I had, it was apparently bogus information, and I already publicly appologized for it.
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I wasn&#39;t responding to you in particular Kevin, just all of the silly crap that I&#39;ve seen in here lately in general.

I know several people who used vacation days to come to the ARRC and WORK for our silly asses. Its just totally unacceptable for people to make up silly conspiracy and favoritism tales as a "thank you" for taking time off work so we drivers can have fun.

As far as car numbers are concerned... Gwen is trying to assign numbers to 300 cars, some of which are running in 2 or 3 different races (ProIT, ARRC, Enduro) over the course of the weekend. She&#39;s trying to assign numbers so that people don&#39;t have to be changing them between races all weekend.
    Folks who think there is some sort of number assignment favoritism there might try to volunteer to help Gwen assign numbers next year. Yeah... I&#39;m betting she won&#39;t have to fight off the crowd of volunteers trying to help her with that.

A whole bunch of people just need to grow the hell up.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

back to the parking thing. i have no problem parking my open trailer somewhere else. It would be nice if i could park my pickup with all my stuff next to my race car. i felt a little homeless with my stuff piled up on the floor. the line for registration was a bit long. rick great track,nice people thanks to the volunteers
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Originally posted by Catch22@Nov 18 2005, 06:28 PM
    As far as car numbers are concerned... Gwen is trying to assign numbers to 300 cars, some of which are running in 2 or 3 different races (ProIT, ARRC, Enduro) over the course of the weekend.
    Apparently the new online registration system that the Atlanta Region used for the ARRC worked pretty well, but the way it sorted the entries really threw her and T&S for a loop and created a tremendous amount of extra work. They all probably resembled 80s punk rockers by the end of the weekend after pulling their hair in fits of angst.
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA (sort of)
    ITS Honda Prelude

Originally posted by dazzlesa@Nov 18 2005, 12:38 PM
    would be nice if i could park my pickup with all my stuff next to my race car.
    [snapback]65875[/snapback]
    Hey, Rick, that wasn&#39;t a failure of Sandy and Fletcher, I&#39;d place that blame on myself. We were given a specific area to park all the Northeast folks; had we known you were looking to park your truck nearby we could have moved a few things around and made space for you... - Greg

Sorry my mistake. Greg the northeast parking deal was great. thanks for your efforts and those of Sandy and Flethcer for taking the time to make it happen. He could have parked us first come first serve and saved himself the effort.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Originally posted by Catch22@Nov 18 2005, 06:28 PM
    I wasn&#39;t responding to you in particular Kevin, just all of the silly crap that I&#39;ve seen in here lately in general.

I know several people who used vacation days to come to the ARRC and WORK for our silly asses. Its just totally unacceptable for people to make up silly conspiracy and favoritism tales as a "thank you" for taking time off work so we drivers can have fun.

As far as car numbers are concerned... Gwen is trying to assign numbers to 300 cars, some of which are running in 2 or 3 different races (ProIT, ARRC, Enduro) over the course of the weekend. She&#39;s trying to assign numbers so that people don&#39;t have to be changing them between races all weekend.
    Folks who think there is some sort of number assignment favoritism there might try to volunteer to help Gwen assign numbers next year. Yeah... I&#39;m betting she won&#39;t have to fight off the crowd of volunteers trying to help her with that.

A whole bunch of people just need to grow the hell up.
    [snapback]65874[/snapback]
    silly conspiracy tales?
    fact - one of first cars entered
    fact - entered both arrc and enduro with same car
    fact - told several times before the event that had first choice number
    fact - got to registration and had no number on list at all
    fact - were assigned a number that was not any of original choices
    fact - the number we originally requested was used by a local car who only entered the enduro

supp quote
    6. CAR NUMBERS: Will be assigned by the Registrar upon receipt of a properly submitted entry form. SEDIV permanent will NOT be in effect at this event. Numbers will be assigned on a first come basis. You will be contacted only if your first number choice is not honored.

conclusion - well, figure it out yourself.

i brought this up not to impune the workers who volunteer, it was brought up as a suggestion to follow the supps next time in how numbers get assigned. this thread is about suggestions, isn&#39;t it?

volunteer to help? i already do in my region thank you. events in this region regularly draw 300 cars.

before you go off spewing a bunch of "crap" you may want to "grow the hell up" yourself....

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by mlytle@Nov 18 2005, 07:39 PM
    silly conspiracy tales?
    fact - one of first cars entered
    fact - entered both arrc and enduro with same car
    fact - told several times before the event that had first choice number
    fact - got to registration and had no number on list at all
    fact - were assigned a number that was not any of original choices
    fact - the number we originally requested was used by a local car who only entered the enduro

supp quote
    6. CAR NUMBERS: Will be assigned by the Registrar upon receipt of a properly submitted entry form. SEDIV permanent will NOT be in effect at this event. Numbers will be assigned on a first come basis. You will be contacted only if your first number choice is not honored.

conclusion - well, figure it out yourself.

[snapback]65916[/snapback]
    Thats all great and everything. I can understand because the EXACT same thing happened to me last year.

I ended up with a number that I didn&#39;t even request, and I registered on the FIRST DAY registration was open.
    Why?

Because Gwen was trying to solve a puzzle. She was doing it with no permanent numbers to fall back on and lots of cars in multiple races.
    I was registered for the enduro. So were 85 other people (uhhh... that means ALOT of number have to be assigned). So I had to take a number that was available in both my sprint race group AND the enduro group. Sure, I registered before the guy who got my number, but that number was available in BOTH groups he registered for, so it made sense to give it to him.

If there is any issue, its that the supps need to be changed to read that numbers will be assigned at the registrars discretion. To say that first come will get them is a pipe dream. Its not going to happen.

At any rate, there isn&#39;t any favoritism or atlanta region number conspiracy. Just a really nice lady doing the best she can to make things as easy as possible on everyone.

Don&#39;t accuse people of things if you don&#39;t understand whats happening behind the scenes. If you think its easy to assign a single number to (for example) an ITA car for three different race groups over the course of one weekend with 300 cars I challenge you to try it and see if you can do it without pissing someone off.

I have no idea why I even try. I&#39;m sure I just completely wasted 5 minutes of my life typing this.

[email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

To GS Baker, I had a great time. I never did see the IT motorhome come it. Did you park yourself? On the number issue, whew, the online registration would not number the cars for multiple race. Gwen had to do it manually. She was so stressed out. I think she had the numbering correct at one point, but.. oh I just know it was a mess! We are looking for another online system for next year. Someone told me there may be a national online system for all club racing coming. I&#39;m really sorry some of you had problems with your number and at registration. I think the two windows being discussed were maybe for workers; I can assure you they were not for just Atlanta Region members. R2 Racing has been forgiven. Give me some thoughts about the socials and entertainment. It looked as though there was little interest from drivers, mostly workers there.

Sandy,
    I know that from our point of view, the socials are a good idea, but we are in kind of a rut after all these years. Friday night we thrash on the cars, and then Bob Stretch and I make dinner (usually assorted seafood and chicken with veggies on the grill with other sides) and on Saturday we historically celebrate (lately just the end of a long hard day) with dinner in town. Between the two camps, we usually end up feeding 15-20 people or more, and have quite a party. Never started as intentionally not attending the other events, just happened over time.

Still not believing we have been going down there for 12 years....
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

We had a minor screw up with our registration and number assignment on our ITC enduro car but it was all good. We had exchanged a couple of emails before the event to try and get it squared away but it hadn&#39;t by the time we got there. It was nothing that a two minute trip to timing and scoring couldn&#39;t clear up though. No big deal - I know they handle a lot of entries; some running one race, some running three. All things considered, I thought it was handled pretty well.

As for the dinners/socials, I thought the food and beer were really good both nights. I had fun and enjoyed the live band and the bench racing Friday night. Saturday nights party was a little dissapointing though. I&#39;m going to guess that only about 2/3 of the award winners were even there - I just didn&#39;t know where everyone was. Then once the awards were done, the karaoke started. I personally am not a big karaoke fan. I also thought, and I&#39;m just being honest here, that with a crowd of mainly car guys, karaoke probably isn&#39;t going to take off real well. I took off once that started like many others to find another party.
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

As far as the social goes...How to say this delicately?

I had zero interest in going to the social, awards banquet etc. They always run long, the food is generally not stellar, and I haven&#39;t liked the band.

I say this not to put down anyone and I appreciate the time and effort spent in setting these up. The fact is, it&#39;s just not my scene and not alot of other people&#39;s either.

Maybe have something a little more in tune with the demographic of the people attending the event would help.

I&#39;m not saying you need to bring in a dj from New York and serve tapas but something a little more interesting might get people out there.

Thanks....