Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Mountain Division Tracks

What tracks you guys got left out there for next year?
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Things have been pretty grim here this last year, with the closing of Pikes Peak International near Colorado Springs and 2nd Creek near Denver.

The only good news is the opening of Miller Motorsports park outside of Salt Lake City. MMP looks to be a world class track, but at 700 miles it is a pretty long drive from my house on mostly two-lane highways.

The reamining tracks still open are (in no particular order): Arroyo Seco Raceway near Deming, NM. Sandia Motorsports Park in Albuquerque. La Junta Raceway at La Junta, CO. Pueblo Motorsports Park near Pueblo Colorado.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I heard a rumour that Sandia was in jeopardy. Good to see that one was not true.

I wouldn't know anything about a 700+ mile tow to get to a track (La Junta) .
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

How much has Pueblo grown around PMP? When I was there in '98 running on that little oval I was surprised how close "town" was to the track. At the time in Texas the closest we got was 5-10 miles from anything resembling civilization (College Station doesn't count... )

The road course seemed fun in a 92 Explorer...
    RX-7 & Miata Parts, Rentals, etc.
    www.taylorrotorsports.com

Well, if you've been there you know its ten minutes from the paddock to the gate, and then maybe another five minutes to the west edge of Pueblo. I don't know if it was there in '98 or not, but another town, Pueblo West, has sprung up west (surprise!) of the reservoir land. It's about ten miles from the track gate to the east edge of Pueblo West.

BTW, until I drive the new Miller track, I think that Pueblo is by far the best track in RMDiv (including the now defunct 2nd creek and Pikes Peak tracks). The paddock is a little rough, but that's not why I go there...
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Just found this a little bit ago.

http://coloradoscca.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...c504a387bcfbbdf

Anybody know what is really happening?

Then there is the rumor of "cold feet" from the neighborhood supporters of the new track project east of Denver. Seems they may not be as supportive as originally thought.

I used to laugh at the conpiracy theorists who berated the "Secret Car Club of America". Matt, did you ever get a satisfactory accounting for Runoffs expenses from Steve Johnson and his posse.

Jeff

Great. So that means we now have ONE race confirmed for next year (R/R at Arroyo Seco) along with a R/R and a N/N tentatively scheduled for La J and a N/N tentatively scheduled for MMP?

Hey Jerry - can you post a link to the SOWDiv schedule?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I can do that.

2006 SWdiv Schedule

It defaults to the 2005 schedule. Select 2006 and go.

Lone Star's Extended Regional in March is little different.

Saturday morning P&Q Sets the start for
    Saturday afternoon heat race one, which sets the grid for
    Sunday morning heat race two, which sets the grid for
    Sunday afternoon points race.

Region saves one sanction fee and still gives you the same amount of time on the track, or so thay say.

The schedule is not firm yet but it will be close. Keep checking on it.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Region saves one sanction fee and still gives you the same amount of time on the track, or so thay say.
    You may get the same amount of track time, but for license renewal purposes it is only one race.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

ER gives you more track time, at least around here. We did that because we had people (including myself) complaining that we got 2hrs of track time with NASA for $275, meanwhile SCCA was giving regional classes maybe 55-60min of track time in a R/RR/N weekend for about $250-260. Last year's ER came in at about $225 IIRC and we got just under 2hrs of track time. People get license waivers all the time...I bet if you reason with your local license person about the track time you got that weekend vs. a 2 sanction R/RR they would waive you (just be nice....)

We don't know yet what the entry fee will be for this year (track cost is going up...don't know national's sanction and insurance rates yet) but we're shooting for as low as possible like last year.

Antonio Garza
    SCCA Lone Star Region Secretary
    2006 March Race Co-chair (Chris Taylor is the other co-chair...blame him if something goes wrong, thank me if you're happy )
    (bringing affordable racing to regional classes since 2005)

Originally posted by JeffW@Dec 4 2005, 12:26 AM
    Just found this a little bit ago.

http://coloradoscca.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...c504a387bcfbbdf

Anybody know what is really happening?

Then there is the rumor of "cold feet" from the neighborhood supporters of the new track project east of Denver. Seems they may not be as supportive as originally thought.

I used to laugh at the conpiracy theorists who berated the "Secret Car Club of America". Matt, did you ever get a satisfactory accounting for Runoffs expenses from Steve Johnson and his posse.

Jeff
    [snapback]67293[/snapback]
    The answer is a resounding "NO". Detailed accounting is not will not be forthcoming. The information has been deemed "CONFIDENTIAL" and not for disclosure to members.

There are further problems with Ed Ozment serving as an inspector for the track in question. As I understand it he is also a contractor that provides services for the repairations. Not to say that he has intentions of doing so or submitting a bid in this situation, but the conflict of interest is more than clear. In a time when we are being told by many tracks that they really don't need or want us, I find it strange that we would pressure them with these types of inspections that only alienate the track management and ownership further. It's an overbearing act of official self importance that will only end up hurting drivers.

P.S. I'd hate to see you guys lose another track out there. Good luck and even though I don't have a dog in that hunt, if I can help let me know. It's important to the club as a whole to maintain strength in RMDIV especially with the move of the Runoffs to Topeka.
    The majority shall rule.

I am amazed that folks would just rather look for another place to race rather than look into how Big Ed's Handyman service got the go ahead to inspect the track? What kind of background do you need or the qualifications to be the go to guy for inspections....Completely blows me away the info provided just doesn't have everyone Po'ed at this.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 12 2005, 05:41 PM
    I am amazed that folks would just rather look for another place to race rather than look into how Big Ed's Handyman service got the go ahead to inspect the track? What kind of background do you need or the qualifications to be the go to guy for inspections....Completely blows me away the info provided just doesn't have everyone Po'ed at this.
    [snapback]68035[/snapback]
    Joe,

I'm not sure what the "info provided" is at this point. So far all that has been shown regarding Ed Ozment is one second hand statement that he was trying to push for his company to do the work. Oh, and an unsubtantiated crack that his business is some sort of handyman service. I've been trying to follow this and I have yet to see anything that qualifies as a fact, inless I've missed something like a business listing or other evidence. If some facts were put out that would be different. But the only thing that I find outrageous so far is you and Matt making "handyman" cracks without any proof that I can see or find. Now if someone can demonstrate the conflict of interest using something other than heresay and innuendo than that's different.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Dec 12 2005, 05:25 PM
    Joe,

I'm not sure what the "info provided" is at this point. So far all that has been shown regarding Ed Ozment is one second hand statement that he was trying to push for his company to do the work. Oh, and an unsubtantiated crack that his business is some sort of handyman service. I've been trying to follow this and I have yet to see anything that qualifies as a fact, inless I've missed something like a business listing or other evidence. If some facts were put out that would be different. But the only thing that I find outrageous so far is you and Matt making "handyman" cracks without any proof that I can see or find. Now if someone can demonstrate the conflict of interest using something other than heresay and innuendo than that's different.
    [snapback]68040[/snapback]
    Matt, I am not sure you have read everything on this deal. It has been said by the track manager that Mr. Ozment was pressuring hiim for the repairs. As far as unsubtantiated, that's not correct either. Go to Dun&Bradstreet and do a free search on business listings Big Eds handyman service is DBA Ozment racing service. What more do you need. To have a hired representitive of our club in even bidding for work that he has been hire to evaluate is clearly an issue. This whole deal in the end will put a black eye on the local region that uses that track. Mark my words on that it happened at Seattle many years ago and now we are a second rate renter.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 12 2005, 08:08 PM
    Matt, I am not sure you have read everything on this deal. It has been said by the track manager that Mr. Ozment was pressuring hiim for the repairs. As far as unsubtantiated, that's not correct either. Go to Dun&Bradstreet and do a free search on business listings Big Eds handyman service is DBA Ozment racing service. What more do you need. To have a hired representitive of our club in even bidding for work that he has been hire to evaluate is clearly an issue. This whole deal in the end will put a black eye on the local region that uses that track. Mark my words on that it happened at Seattle many years ago and now we are a second rate renter.
    [snapback]68044[/snapback]
    Joe, I have been following this and this is the first time a reference to Dun&Bradstreet has been made. Having looked there, yeah a search on Ozment shows a reference to Ozment Race Services with an Il address, no reference to a handyman there. Now if I search on Big Ed's Handyman it gives me a business with a MD address? So again if someone has some facts please put them out there. I searched and can't find the connection. You and Matt seemed to have come to some understanding a few days back by Matt saying so and you saying really? and him saying yes. If there is proof it isn't posted anywhere.

And as I said the "reports" have been by heresay, not firsthand or documented accounts. That's not proof. The only facts from firsthand parties read like the latest info on the colorado boards the CDR RE has stated the list of issues (which have been issues since 1993 and before Ed's inspection) has been prioritized and the only concerns that will keep the track from receiving a sanction next year are issues that everyone feels did need to be addressed are are under discussion. To my knowledge no official (RE, Div Steward, or track owner) has said that Ed put a bid on the job. Yes Ben Dewitt has said the track manager was "put off" by Ed's attempt to bid on the work but, excuse my ignorance, who is Ben and how does he know this. Until that's known it heresay.

Again, until FACTS are brought forth I'm not going to fly off the handle about a conflict of interest that may not be there. If Matt is so good at research where is the documentation?
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Dec 12 2005, 07:07 PM
    Joe, I have been following this and this is the first time a reference to Dun&Bradstreet has been made. Having looked there, yeah a search on Ozment shows a reference to Ozment Race Services with an Il address, no reference to a handyman there. Now if I search on Big Ed's Handyman it gives me a business with a MD address? So again if someone has some facts please put them out there. I searched and can't find the connection. You and Matt seemed to have come to some understanding a few days back by Matt saying so and you saying really? and him saying yes. If there is proof it isn't posted anywhere.

And as I said the "reports" have been by heresay, not firsthand or documented accounts. That's not proof. The only facts from firsthand parties read like the latest info on the colorado boards the CDR RE has stated the list of issues (which have been issues since 1993 and before Ed's inspection) has been prioritized and the only concerns that will keep the track from receiving a sanction next year are issues that everyone feels did need to be addressed are are under discussion. To my knowledge no official (RE, Div Steward, or track owner) has said that Ed put a bid on the job. Yes Ben Dewitt has said the track manager was "put off" by Ed's attempt to bid on the work but, excuse my ignorance, who is Ben and how does he know this. Until that's known it heresay.

Again, until FACTS are brought forth I'm not going to fly off the handle about a conflict of interest that may not be there. If Matt is so good at research where is the documentation?
    [snapback]68049[/snapback]
    Matt you are way smarter than me. Take the adress from the dunn&bradsteet search and type it into yahoo. It will give you the name of Big Eds handyman service. If you go a step further do a people search on Terry and you will get the same thing. I could care less about most of this other than a region is getting boned out of a track to race on.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 13 2005, 01:43 AM
    Matt you are way smarter than me. Take the adress from the dunn&bradsteet search and type it into yahoo. It will give you the name of Big Eds handyman service. If you go a step further do a people search on Terry and you will get the same thing. I could care less about most of this other than a region is getting boned out of a track to race on.
    [snapback]68071[/snapback]
    Ah, interesting. Also intresting is that a little more searching shows the number has been disconnected for at least several months. But, Joe you've seen enough of Matt W's personal crusades to know that tactics matter. And cheap shots at someone don't help the local region or it's racers.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Dec 13 2005, 06:45 AM
    Ah, interesting. Also intresting is that a little more searching shows the number has been disconnected for at least several months. But, Joe you've seen enough of Matt W's personal crusades to know that tactics matter. And cheap shots at someone don't help the local region or it's racers.
    [snapback]68080[/snapback]
    I have also seen that it gets people up off their butts to look into things. Even if the line was disconected due to the fact theyhave probably moved to be close to the National office? The conflict clearly still exists. Matt there is no way that just because dislike MattW that you can look past this one. It was not found or presented by MattW. If we don't pay attention it could be any track we race on at any time.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Dec 13 2005, 10:01 AM
    I have also seen that it gets people up off their butts to look into things. Even if the line was disconected due to the fact theyhave probably moved to be close to the National office? The conflict clearly still exists. Matt there is no way that just because dislike MattW that you can look past this one. It was not found or presented by MattW. If we don't pay attention it could be any track we race on at any time.
    [snapback]68094[/snapback]
    I still can't see a conflict until someone shows Ed tried to bid on the job. Someone can rant all they want but the only reference to that has be an unsubstantiated rumor by an person with no visible connection to the issue.

And my comments about Matt's tactics relate to his broad use of personal attacks turning people away from wanting anything to do with the situation. It leaves a bad taste in people's mouth and even he has freely admitted on several occasions that his involvement in a matter is more likely to impede the people at the top from doing something, even if they might agree with him. That is why tactics matter. And while it was not "found" by Matt W. he was one of the first (if not first) in line to start personal attacks on Ed, and Terry, who is not involved in any way.

Again, show me Ed was trying to use his position as track inspector for personal gain and then we have a conflict of interest. I'll keep my outrage and indignation in check until then.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Originally posted by Matt Rowe@Dec 13 2005, 02:54 PM
    I still can't see a conflict until someone shows Ed tried to bid on the job. Someone can rant all they want but the only reference to that has be an unsubstantiated rumor by an person with no visible connection to the issue.

And my comments about Matt's tactics relate to his broad use of personal attacks turning people away from wanting anything to do with the situation. It leaves a bad taste in people's mouth and even he has freely admitted on several occasions that his involvement in a matter is more likely to impede the people at the top from doing something, even if they might agree with him. That is why tactics matter. And while it was not "found" by Matt W. he was one of the first (if not first) in line to start personal attacks on Ed, and Terry, who is not involved in any way.

Again, show me Ed was trying to use his position as track inspector for personal gain and then we have a conflict of interest. I'll keep my outrage and indignation in check until then.
    [snapback]68151[/snapback]
    I learned today that PMI has signed a contract with Alan Wilson as the safety inspector/advisor for PMI. You can find out more about Mr Wilson and his wife on the web under Wilson Motorsports.

I am pretty sure SCCA should not have any problems with Alan Wilsons safety suggestions. It looks like PMI will wait on what Mr Wilson has to say.

The representitive for the PMI track was and still is put off by Ed Ozment. Not because of his report but because Mr Ozment was also pushing to be the company that should fix all these massive problems. Corner workers will be happy to know the stations are all going to be redone and maybe even some fancy light set ups put in for the start of the 2006 season. As for the drivers let just hope we have PMI to race on in 2006.

Karl the berm problem will be changed. I wonder if you have ever talked to Mid-Ohio about how unsafe thunder valley is. For some who don't know thunder valley. You come over a blind slight rise right hander into a short shoot with cement walls on both sides. Never did a race or qualifying there where cars didn't get light coming into thunder valley and hit one wall then bounce accross the track and hit the other wall and end up in the middle of the track waiting for the hordes behind them to come over and hit them again. Very fast part of the track. Or was it the turn one cement bridge you hit, or was that Jeff. Then the key hole was really fun when you got punted or maybe it was me onto the back straight. That wet grass really slowed me down. I have seen GT-1 cars fly over from turn one thru the grass onto the back straiight. Yea that berm really looks bad out there at PMI. In truth something I have never even thought about in 30 or 40 races at Pueblo, but I never tore up a car there or got hurt.
    I am not sure if you missed this, It did not come from Matt....Read the message and don't alway discredit the messanger. You have seen me take Matt apart before. I always check stuff out for myself.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z