Thread: Car Lifts

I'm looking to get a car lift for the garage - try explaining the to the wife > a car lift is much more pratical than a new bathroom - really!

Anyway ... any suggestions? There are a lot of manufactures on the market. Do you go with a locally installed one, or you can save about a grand if you order one and have it delivered. Then install it yourself.

Manufactures I'm looking at are:
    America's Pride
    Blatt Lifts
    Eagle Lifts
    Mohwak Lifts
    and so on............

Mark
    Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS

Originally posted by wpspeedracer@Nov 8 2005, 08:30 AM
    I'm looking to get a car lift for the garage - try explaining the to the wife > a car lift is much more pratical than a new bathroom - really!

Anyway ... any suggestions? There are a lot of manufactures on the market. Do you go with a locally installed one, or you can save about a grand if you order one and have it delivered. Then install it yourself.

Manufactures I'm looking at are:
    America's Pride
    Blatt Lifts
    Eagle Lifts
    Mohwak Lifts
    and so on............

Mark
    [snapback]64887[/snapback]
    Let me hunt around. A friend of mine just got one, and we will be installing it as soon as the new windows in the house get put in!!!!! BTW he has about 8 280Z's including a Japan right-hand drive model! I owe him for storing my poor old 944.

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I hate to say this, but a lift was one of the best things I every paid for in Chris' garage.

We got ours from a tire store going out of business, and it has been worth every penny. And the bathroom still hasn't been remodeled.

Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Mohawks are the 'Snap-On' of lifts. Wish I had one...but I have a 'Superior' which ain't bad, and cost a whole lot less. Nice lift - 9000lb - works great with my ceiling height (low...around 11 ft.).

Lots of people making 'bargain' lifts these days...some of which are very scary.

[quote]
    Mohawks are the 'Snap-On' of lifts. Wish I had one...but I have a 'Superior' which ain't bad, and cost a whole lot less. Nice lift - 9000lb - works great with my ceiling height (low...around 11 ft.).

I had a good conversation with the Mohawk sales rep and they are the 'Snap-On" of lifts - what a great product at only 3 times the price of all the 'Bargin Lifts' that are out there, which is why I posted this. So of the bargin lifts - which ones are the goodones and which to stay away from........

Mark

Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS

www.directlift.com

A friend has one and seems happy with it. I have no personal experience with them so YMMV.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I have an Eagle four post 7000 lb capacity. Cost with alum ramps, jack tray, drip trays and rollers was about $2,700 delivered to truck depot. Took a day and a half to get it installed. About 5 of us working on it... Ok two working on it and 3 supervisors.

It was a toss up between a 4 post and a 2 post. I didn't want to have to redo the floor in the shop so it would support a 2 post. Both have their short comings. If I'm doing suspension work I ususally do it on the floor with jack stands. A two post would really help there. I love the lift. I have become real popular with a lot of the guys in the club. As long as I'm involved in playing with cars everyone is welcome to use the lift.

Been using a two post Eagle lift everyday for the last 5 years. No problems, good product.
    Doug Hillmann
    vfc-engineering.com

i bought a "bargain" four post from Greg Smith equipment in Indy.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/catalog/...&products_id=28

you might want to look at one near you if you can find one.

i am satisfied with it. i use it as much for a storage device as anything to get more vehicles in the garage. suspension work is done with the car on jackstands.

i too did not want to modify the floor for the two post or use it for long term storage in double decker mode.

my cars are honda crx's and the load rating is way beyond my requirements.

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have a Bendpak asymmetrical 10K two post lift. It's one those things that I should have installed in my shop when I first built it 7 years ago. It is an incredibly productive tool.

I went around to the auto mechanic shops in the area, and 90% of them were using bendpak.

I picked it up from the trucking depot, hauled it home, and installed it myself.

Wayne

We got a brand new "Alamo" about 5 years ago. A-symmetiric, 9000lb capacity, and was right around $3000 - a steal for how much it's been used. We had it shipped to a local shipping yard and then picked it up from there with an open car trailer. They just forklifted it onto the trailer and we installed and assembled it when we got it back to the shop. Pretty easy really - just make sure you have enough guys to support the big uprights as you stand them up.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

What type of floor modifications are necessary for a 2 post lift ?
    My friends wife asked me about brands and I told her to get a 2 post instead of a 4 post (eaiser to work on suspension)

Thanks.
    Victor

Just some very large anchor bolts into some good, solid concrete. Each of my posts are bolted five times into 5" thick concrete.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I have a 7000XLT 4-post from these folks. I have over 14' floor to ceiling, so the extra height was a benefit.

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com...35318/index.htm

No comments on it, because it isn't installed yet (still have to finish the garage interior and paint the floor). They run sales all the time, so get on their mailing list and you can save several hundred $$. Mine came with the wheels, 3 drip trays, and a jack tray - all for about $2400 with tax and shipping.

Are there any decent lifts that can survive being installed outdoors? My garage isn't large enough for a lift, so outdoors is my only option (apart from moving, which isn't gonna happen!)
    Kevin M. Keller
    crew, '94 Saturn SC2 ITA CenDiv 2003 Champs
    F&C, STL Region
    http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

All of there responses have been great. I am so limited on height ( old house) has anyone ever used the lift with the cable on the floor and recessed the slab so the cable cover is flush? the difference in height is only 15 " but that's huge in my situation. Since I am puring a new slab for this garage bay, I can do a block out in the slab to recess the cable.

thanks
    mark
    Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS

Just came across Rotary Lifts - only 9'-11" height requirement. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
    www.rotarylift.com
    tks
    Mark Nasrallah
    944 S
    #54 ITS