Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA National Championships 2006

Check out the NASA National Championships planned for September 11-17, 2006:

http://nasanationals.com/home.html

And the THREE OH/IN Region Weekends at Mid Ohio for 2006:

http://www.racenasa.com/

Beat me by 40 minutes....

This totally changes my race scheduling for next year. I was going to try to make more SCCA events, but now there is even more incentive for me to make sure I continue my NASA participation.

And depending on which class and how they determine qualifying for registration, my car will likely be able to run both PS2 and Nissan Cup with no modifications.

Very excited about this development.
    Ed.

And depending on which class and how they determine qualifying for registration
    My understanding of "qualifying" for the nationals is... There will be a minimum number of regional events (3-4?) you will need to run to qualify. They are not trying to limit entries. It is also my understanding that all NASA race classes will be run. I'm sure Lawrence can shed some more light for us

Eric

Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Oct 28 2005, 09:35 PM
    My understanding of "qualifying" for the nationals is... There will be a minimum number of regional events (3-4?) you will need to run to qualify. They are not trying to limit entries. It is also my understanding that all NASA race classes will be run. I'm sure Lawrence can shed some more light for us

Eric
    [snapback]63926[/snapback]
    There will be more of an official publication on this soon, but yes the qualifier would be more on attendance than performance.

And all NASA classes would run in both Road Racing and Time Trial, with possible other additions.

Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Oct 28 2005, 05:35 PM
    My understanding of "qualifying" for the nationals is... There will be a minimum number of regional events (3-4?) you will need to run to qualify.
    [snapback]63926[/snapback]
    Which immediately diminishes the "national" status. How many races are run in the northeast? Well, none. Nothing in New England, nothing north of Summit Point or east of, what, Mid-Ohio AFAIK. So, unless you're willing to tow 6+ hour 3-4 times per year, you're not invited...?

So what we have here is a bunch of folks from the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic US that can go, a bunch from California that can go, and a bunch from Ohio/Indiana that can go. Guess who's showing up to Mid-Ohio? So how is this a "national" event?

That's unfortunate; before reading this post I'd considered it. But now...? - GA

Yeah that is what I need cleared up - one can I run in two classes and then do I need to have participated in both classes regionally. I could split each regional double between PS2 and Nissan Cup I suppose. (one each day since they run in the same race group)

Greg that isn't entirely true there were two NE races at Pocono this year and one last year. And there should be an expectation of more in the future - including some changes to the NE region that could bring close to a full schedule to Pocono, the Glen and Lime Rock Puke.

At the same time I wouldn't have any desire for people coming that don't participate in NASA regionally. Given the poor treatment some NASA racers get from SCCA folks I wouldn't want anybody there that doesn't support the organization.

Nice thing about NASA regionals - is that they are almost all doubles (but then again there are only three race groups )
    Ed.

Originally posted by turboICE@Oct 29 2005, 03:38 AM
    ... At the same time I wouldn't have any desire for people coming that don't participate in NASA regionally. Given the poor treatment some NASA racers get from SCCA folks I wouldn't want anybody there that doesn't support the organization. ...
    Without specific qualifying requirements - which seem so counter-NASA, I have a hard time envisioning them being imposed at this point - there's nothing to keep someone from cherry-picking just this one event.

It will be interesting to look back in 5 years and see how much this move changes the culture of NASA road racing.

Kirk (who ran several NASA races this past season)

Here are some 2005 schedules east of Mississippi
    NASA races

April 21-23 Mid Ohio
    May 20-21 Putnam Park
    June 10-11 BeaveRun
    July 7-9 Mid Ohio
    August 11-13 Mid Ohio

Feb 18-20 VIRginia International Raceway
    March 5-6 Lowes Motor Speedway
    June 11-12 Summit Point Raceway
    July 16-17 Summit Point Raceway
    July 29-31 VIRginia International Raceway
    Sept 24-25 Summit Point Raceway
    Oct 15-16 Summit Point Raceway

March 19-20 Road Atlanta
    June 11-12 North Carolina Speedway
    July 16-17 Roebling Road
    August 13-14 Road Atlanta
    September 24-25 Roebling Road
    October 22-23 North Carolina Speedway

USTCC
    April 1-3 Mid-Ohio Lexington, OH
    April 8-10 Road America Elkhart Lake, WI
    May 21-22 Putnam Park Road Course Mount Meridian, IN
    June 3-5 Autobahn Country Club Joliet, IL
    July 16-17 Summit Point (Hyperfest) Summit Point, WV
    August 13-14 Road Atlanta Braselton, GA
    September 2-4 Beaverun Motorsports Complex

I've heard more NE tracks are in the works.
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

It will be interesting to look back in 5 years and see how much this move changes the culture of NASA road racing.
    I wonder how much it will affect SCCA and the way it does things. NASA seems to be more "customer" oriented than SCCA. SCCA (the organization) seems to have more of the "take it or leave it " attitude. Hopefully this move wakes up SCCA , and both sanctioning bodies get stronger in the future.

NASA is a very interesting organization. They tell you one thing, and their actions say another.

Some of you guys may want to take a closer look at their insurance. Especially if you're running at the Glen, or any other "relatively unsafe" track. You'd be surprised what your coverages are, assuming their insurance is nationwide and not Regional. I know I don't want to so much as scrape my knee at a NASA event here.

I really have no doubt that NASA and SCCA can coexist peacefully, but NASA continues to make offensive moves to ace the SCCA out and attempt to outdo them. Unfortunately, at least locally, they don't have the personel to do it. Yes, their registration process is smooth and easy, yes their events are run (for the most part) very well, but there are still many many areas that are extremenly Mickey Mouse. I've never run across the scales at SCCA and been at physically impossible weights. Inaccurate, sure... but how many of you can run a 30 minute session and only burn 9 pounds of gas? Funny, the next 20 minute session I burned over 20 pounds. :119:

PS - this is coming from a previous supporter of NASA. In fact, as of right now I haven't run a single SCCA race that can go toward my renewal for '05 (thanks to strange scheduling). BUT, things aren't staying that way for this next season...
    RX-7 & Miata Parts, Rentals, etc.
    www.taylorrotorsports.com

Originally posted by Chris Taylor@Oct 29 2005, 11:11 PM
    NASA is a very interesting organization. They tell you one thing, and their actions say another.

Some of you guys may want to take a closer look at their insurance. Especially if you're running at the Glen, or any other "relatively unsafe" track. You'd be surprised what your coverages are, assuming their insurance is nationwide and not Regional. I know I don't want to so much as scrape my knee at a NASA event here.

I really have no doubt that NASA and SCCA can coexist peacefully, but NASA continues to make offensive moves to ace the SCCA out and attempt to outdo them. Unfortunately, at least locally, they don't have the personel to do it. Yes, their registration process is smooth and easy, yes their events are run (for the most part) very well, but there are still many many areas that are extremenly Mickey Mouse. I've never run across the scales at SCCA and been at physically impossible weights. Inaccurate, sure... but how many of you can run a 30 minute session and only burn 9 pounds of gas? Funny, the next 20 minute session I burned over 20 pounds. :119:

PS - this is coming from a previous supporter of NASA. In fact, as of right now I haven't run a single SCCA race that can go toward my renewal for '05 (thanks to strange scheduling). BUT, things aren't staying that way for this next season...
    [snapback]63996[/snapback]

If your only complaint is scales... I've seen the same thing at an SCCA event. We rolled across the scales and were about 20lbs light. The SCCA official didn't even bat an eye. "Back it up and roll it across again." We immediately gained about 30lbs and were declared legal. They didn't move a pad or zero the scales. The scales just ran like that all weekend.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Certainly NASA is different. It is younger. It has varying degrees of organization and establishment by region.

To take a frequently stated phrase of SCCA members - if you don't like it, get involved, make it better.

I would love for there to be more NASA competition events closer to me. And I hear all the time from people in the NE that they want NASA to have competition events in the area. Yet I don't see any of them showing up to participate in and show support for NASA-NE. It is hard for a young region to justify the cost of scheduling, less likely holding, a competition event when there is no indication of interest with half filled events they already hold currently.

They create a catch 22, by saying I am not going if I can't race and the region is stuck with not being able to hold a race if they can't even get enough participation to justify the cost of good dates.

It isn't like you have to load up the trailer and prepare for a race - I know many NE racers have sporty cars take it to an HPDE and help the region grow and justify making the investment in better dates and the higher cost of competition events.

Heck anyone that would have gone to the HPDE at Watkins Glen recently you would have had a ton of track time and had the chance to see Danika Patrick doing testing. So it wasn't wheel to wheel, but you get to meet great people, the group would benefit from someone coming that has good experience to share and help people appreciate grassroots motorsports more and there would be a lot less complaining about each other's organizations if the people only knew each other instead of just talked about each other.

So take Thursday November 10 off, leave the trailer at home and motor your daily driver around LRP with NASA-NE for a day. It's gotta beat a day at work!
    Ed.

Originally posted by turboICE@Oct 30 2005, 01:47 PM
    So take Thursday November 10 off, leave the trailer at home and motor your daily driver around LRP with NASA-NE for a day. It's gotta beat a day at work!
    [snapback]64022[/snapback]
    Well, I would LOVE to....but Thursday will not only cost me revenue, but worse, it will upset a client and put a project further behind schedule. As it is I can't do Lime Rock events due to the need to take Friday off, nor any distant events due to the same issue.

So, while I might like to support the organization, and have a great track car, I can't. Do a one day Saturday event at Lime Rock though, and I would try really hard to attend.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The subject of NASA vs. SCCA insurance came up a couple years back. As I recall a ex SCCA regional director/ NASA participant said the coverages were very close to each other. I have not read either sanctioning bodies policy personally. From what I have heard both have their advantages and disadvantages to the other. I can say I have been in NASA race control when a Helivac was needed. There was not a hesitation calling in the helicopter. In fact if I remeber correctly a corner worker called in the driver was unconsious and not breathing. The helicopter was dispatched before the ambulance was at the accident. After watching that first hand, I would not question NASA's insurance policy.

I'm not in a position to comment on NASA's insurance, but your example has nothing to do with insurance. It is a function of the operating policies and precedures for emergency services at the track. Sanctioning bodies have an ever narrowing amount of control over emergency services.

Originally posted by wlfpkrcn@Oct 30 2005, 10:17 PM
    The subject of NASA vs. SCCA insurance came up a couple years back. As I recall a ex SCCA regional director/ NASA participant said the coverages were very close to each other. I have not read either sanctioning bodies policy personally. From what I have heard both have their advantages and disadvantages to the other. I can say I have been in NASA race control when a Helivac was needed. There was not a hesitation calling in the helicopter. In fact if I remeber correctly a corner worker called in the driver was unconsious and not breathing. The helicopter was dispatched before the ambulance was at the accident. After watching that first hand, I would not question NASA's insurance policy.
    [snapback]64062[/snapback]

A difference of 15-20 lbs, on scales that need to weigh cars that range from under 1000#, to over 3000#? You're talking ~1% (probably less) variation. I wouldn't even give that a second thought, much less worry about it and qustion the accuracy of the scales.

As far as NASA vs. SCCA goes, it's only a matter of time before NASA reaches 'critical mass', and has the leverage to start taking away track dates from the SCCA. NASA is changing/expanding its product line, to attract more customers, and increase its market share. If the SCCA does nothing to respond to changing market demands, they eventually won't have much of a market to worry about. That's simple business school stuff.

Originally posted by Lawrence Mansier@Oct 28 2005, 02:08 PM
    Check out the NASA National Championships planned for September 11-17, 2006:

http://nasanationals.com/home.html

And the THREE OH/IN Region Weekends at Mid Ohio for 2006:

http://www.racenasa.com/
    [snapback]63907[/snapback]
    Lawrence: Are the dates listed on www(dot)racenasa(dot)com dated for 2005 (as printed) or 2006?

Thanks.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Originally posted by RacerBill@Oct 31 2005, 04:35 PM
    Lawrence: Are the dates listed on www(dot)racenasa(dot)com dated for 2005 (as printed) or 2006?

Thanks.
    [snapback]64099[/snapback]

They are for 2006 (thanks for the heads up!)

I would suggest anyone wanting a summary of the NASA insurance policy email the NASA national office for it. They have a summary they can send you.

LM

I have been running with NASA for many years. Nice group and quite a bit more flexiable than SCCA. To get something done in SCCA seems to take alot longer.

Anyway... It seems that NASA has scouped up the vacant run off days from SCCA.

SCCA pulls out. NASA steps in an asks for and get those same days. It is billed as a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, but clearly does not have the same Stature that SCCA has.

That said it is a start. NASA for years has been building it base and growing. It has been attracting those feeling left out of the SCCA. NASA will not replace SCCA. It can't. The SCCA has plenty of clout and strength to survive. NASA does represent competition and this a good thing. It will force the SCCA to be more responsive it its members.

Joe P.
    Porsche 944 Racer

Just for the record, MidOhio/TrueSport sought out NASA, not vice-versa.
    Joe Lee
    Regional Director
    www.nasanortheast.com
    Spec Miata #101