View Poll Results: ...would you use one if they were free?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 98.59%
  • No

1 1.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head and Neck Restraint Poll

Thumbs up

Well, would you?

Fully 95% of racers do not use any head and neck restraint. Some don't believe they are necessary and some don't believe they are worth the investment. There are other reasons, of course, but these are the two cited most often.

So, for those of you who do not use such a product--any product, brand is not the issue-- would you use one if they were free?

Thanks.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by gsbaker@Oct 26 2005, 01:46 PM
    Well, would you?

Fully 95% of racers do not use any head and neck restraint. Some don't believe they are necessary and some don't believe they are worth the investment. There are other reasons, of course, but these are the two cited most often.

So, for those of you who do not use such a product--any product, brand is not the issue-- would you use one if they were free?

Thanks.
    [snapback]63661[/snapback]

ABSOFREAKINLUTLEY!!! BUT even at free I would have to see what I was putting on. You know there was the argument about horse collars being more dangerous than not having one. I know that's not the kind of answer you where looking for, but I figured I'd throw it in. If I didn't somone else would

Actually the only reason I don't run one is $$$. I know that there is the arguement, "How can you put a price on your health?", but it's still the deciding factor.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Originally posted by spnkzss@Oct 26 2005, 03:39 PM
    ABSOFREAKINLUTLEY!!! BUT even at free I would have to see what I was putting on. You know there was the argument about horse collars being more dangerous than not having one. I know that's not the kind of answer you where looking for, but I figured I'd throw it in. If I didn't somone else would ...
    [snapback]63683[/snapback]
    What? You don't want the new exploding version? Picky, picky.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Absolutely. I have a little savings account set aside for the purchase of a Link system over the winter hopefully.
    That's not the exploding version, is it?
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

I'm using one and it wasn't free!!! (just an incredibly good deal... thanks Gregg! )
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Originally posted by Racerlinn@Oct 26 2005, 04:27 PM
    Absolutely. I have a little savings account set aside for the purchase of a Link system over the winter hopefully.
    That's not the exploding version, is it?

[snapback]63689[/snapback]
    Naw, that's an option. We're going with an ejection seat--for the open cockpit cars only, of course.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Originally posted by Speed Raycer@Oct 26 2005, 08:30 PM
    I'm using one and it wasn't free!!! (just an incredibly good deal... thanks Gregg! )
    [snapback]63691[/snapback]
    Scott, I want to get a look at yours sometime this weekend please.
    Steve

Yes
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I doubt anyone would say no. It's probably one of the best modern contributions to racing. I think we take for granted how much our sport has evolved. The human being's tolerance to G loading has not evolved at this pace (duh). The use of a HNR seems to be the only logical way to bridge this gap.

As an aside I was watching "Rides" last night on TLC and they had Leno and Donohue @ Talledega in a new Porsche Carerra GT trying to break some record. Leno was wearing a Hans with loose straps. He hit it on the body of the car everytime he got in and out. It was amusing to watch. An expensive device like that is great if used properly -it will save your life.....used improperly though and who knows.

I will be purchasing an ISAAC in the spring. I have looked into all the HNR's and the ISAAC is the only one that works in tension and compression....this is what sold me. Spoke at length to Jake....it all makes a ton of sense.

I'm not doing it now because I want the money for winter projects and I won't need a HNR till spring. Besides ya never know about a year end sale or a manufacturer promotion or Greg feeling Santa-like....(HINT HINT)
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I was (and am) willing to pay to use one. Should I vote, or would that throw off the results you are looking for?
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Originally posted by RacerBowie@Oct 26 2005, 05:16 PM
    I was (and am) willing to pay to use one. Should I vote, or would that throw off the results you are looking for?
    [snapback]63702[/snapback]
    Since the question is for those 95% who don't use one, it's best if present users not vote.

This is nothing more than us trying to get a feel for whether money is truly an issue or just an excuse.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Yes I have speaking to our driver about getting a system.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Money has been the issue with me in the past (although I'm getting one this winter). I know people say that it's silly to go out on the track without ALL the safety equipment available. But you know what's safer?? Not racing at all......... In the past, an HNR device would have been a huge chunk of my budget. The choices were race with out or not race at all..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I use one. My wife uses one when she races. Those of you who have been to the track store at Summit Point and have met or seen my little girl will understand why.

I would like to be around for her so that I will have the chance to see her race as well as all of the other less important stuff that life brings.

cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

"Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

I do not use one, but would definitely use one if it was free. No doubt in my military mind! I was sitting having dinner at Union Jack's in Indianapolis when the the news about Earnhart was released and it made quite an impression.

I am trying to get my insurance agent to become my safety sponsor. They are warming up to the idea - what better slogan to have on a race car than 'Life comes at you fast'.

Come what may, there will be money in the racing budget in the near future. Price does dictate just how soon.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Like so many others, price is a concern to me as well. I like the Link system, but have decided that the full ISAAC is the way to go. Thus, my entire winter upgrade budget for the car will go towards safety equipment - new seat, HNR.

I'd rather race on older tires and a tired motor next year.

Of course, Gregg, Xmas (and Hanukah, The Feast Of The Unafilliated, and Qwanzaa, and who knows what else) are coming.... :P
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Back up a year, and yes price was a deciding factor. I had looked at them for a long time, thinking I should, but not doing it because of price.

Then I bought a HANS for a couple of reasons. It is a safety item that travels with you when you move from car to car if you run enduros with your pals. Peer pressure from my pals including the quote "yeah its expensive, but that shouldn't matter". And he was right. A desire to never stop racing, and 2 little boys sure helps motivate you too.

Why the HANS over Isaac? I didn't see anyway that the two were compatible when doing a driver change during an enduro & my typical codrivers have HANS's.

Matt

After hitting the wall at turn 5 Rd Atlanta very hard without one I now have one. I was lucky, I only talked like Barry White for a week or so and didn't lose any teeth but had to have the chips smoothed by grinder.
    If you don't have one, get one!
    Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games.
    Hemingway.

Thanks for participating, everyone. 43 to zero (as of this writing) pretty much tells the story.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

I would buy today if I knew what SCCA and NASA was going to require and/or permit. The cost hasn't been an issue holding me up - more whether or not I would be able to continue to use a system when they become required.
    Ed.