Thread: Toyo vs Hoosier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Last year when I spoke the Hoosier rep at StL he told me not to mix 04's & 05"s on the same axel. It seems the 05's are suppose to have better grip. You may want to mix them front to rear. If car is loose put the 05's on the back and 04's on the front. If tight go the other way. I don't know if it will work or just make the care EVIL. :119:

Enduro comparisons...

We ran Toyos at the VIR 13 hours (2004) and Hoosiers at the Summit 12 hours (2005). Conditions at Summit were hotter and the race in both cases was dry.

I used to buy into the "Toyos last longer" story but after both events, we actually used less rubber off of the Hoosiers. We had 8 tires in both cases and changed them as they looked like they needed it. I flatspotted one Hoosier badly - they aren't necessarily easier to lock up, they just don't howl about it like the Toyos, I think, so it's an easier mistake to make.

One potentially significant difference is that, while the tires were the same 225 width, they Hoosiers are in fact wider. Putting more rubber on the road makes for lower loads and better mileage, I think.

The Hoosiers sure felt a lot faster - more balanced and you could lean harder on them - but we didn't do any back-to-back testing to know for sure.

K

EDIT - talk to Phil at Phils's Tire Service. He sells both and can probably give you some actual numbers for some cars that he knows.