Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would it fit ??

Thumbs up

I know it's turbocharged....but where would the vw tdi golf be classified? Some specs I have seen...100 hp,149 ft. lbs.?? Weight similar to the gas version ?? Perhaps ITB ?? I'd even be happy to see it in ITA the first year,just to make sure it's not an overdog. What are your thoughts ???

It's an overly simplistic answer - and not the one you want to hear - but it just doesn't fit because of the turbo. With the IT allowances for brain tweaking, turbos (fuelie or otherwise) have the potential to make WAY more power than in stock form, so classification would be a huge guessing game - at least for a while.

Now, personally I'd LOVE to see it have a place to run. I'd race one on "greasel" power - recycled resturant fryer oil - and get sponsorship from Bojangles.

K

Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 14 2005, 07:44 PM
    I know it's turbocharged....but where would the vw tdi golf be classified?
    [snapback]62694[/snapback]
    Currently, ITE... if your Region supports that class...

I don't anticipate Turbos in IT anytime soon, but then, I didn't know that cage rules were changing for IT either... so what do I know...
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

Good question..

I had a 98 TDI and with a re-programmed MAP (allowed in IT), it made somewheres around 120 HP. Not a huge revver, but torque out the wazoo. Now, I expect that you could improve it even more with a larger downpipe, port-matching, and a free flowing intake. If you did all this, I expect 140-150 isn't out of the question.
    Heck VW has a 1.9 in europe making 150 out of the box!!
    So, I'm gonna guess it'd be kind of between A and B. Could be a neat B car if you added some weight (say 2450-2500 lbs).

Wouldn't it be a gas (or 'fuel&#39 to run in an enduro?

One major stumbling block is that the computer cuts the fuel when the brake pedal is pushed, so no left-foot braking.
    Formerly known as Eh_Tony!!!

The euro TDI makes 150 out of the box with nearly the same exhaust but bigger injectors and a diffrent fuel map. But yes, I have seen the tuning capabilities of this car and its pretty amazing, their are a few autocrossing in various regions under SM.

I think the corner workers would have to get used to the cloud a TDI makes at full throttle. Even on biodiesel it makes some every time.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

TDi Torque :119:

The boys in WOB are doing wonders with the TDi.
    I saw one at the Ring that had so much torque that it needed Viper gearbox internals to deal with it. I think it was making 600-700 lb-ft! In a 4cyl. Jetta!

So I don't see us managing turbo diesel legality anytime soon in IT.
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

If someone wants to buy me one, I'm sure that Chris would be willing to work it over and let me drive it to work everyday.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Lesley...when (and if) I win the "powerball" I'll buy three,one to race,one for my daily driver and one for you would you like a jetta wagon ??

Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 02:09 PM
    Lesley...when (and if) I win the "powerball" I'll buy three,one to race,one for my daily driver and one for you would you like a jetta wagon ??
    [snapback]62753[/snapback]

What about the rest of us??? What are we, chopped liver??

I'll take the Toureg diesel v10, thankyou very much, and happily tow my dinky (to that torque monster!) trailer across the country in perfect luxury!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Copped liver ?? heck no. My primary purpose with the tdi would be endurance racing How would you like to be a driver at the 25hr. race ?? Or a 12 hr. race ?Could you imagine doing a double stint oh lets say 4hrs in a car like that?? Can you say depends??

Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 03:05 PM
    Copped liver ?? heck no. .....Could you imagine doing a double stint oh lets say 4hrs in a car like that?? Can you say depends??
    [snapback]62757[/snapback]

That's cHopped liver, LOL..

I did a 3 hour enduro alone once, and at the end, the bathromm was the LAST thoing on my mind!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I've never done well in spelling bees :P can you tell?

Originally posted by lateapex911@Oct 16 2005, 10:02 PM
    That's cHopped liver, LOL..

I did a 3 hour enduro alone once, and at the end, the bathromm was the LAST thoing on my mind!
    [snapback]62761[/snapback]
    That's bathroom, LOL.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Back in the '80s, a friend of mine had a seat in a Consulier (look that one up) at the Nelson Longest Day. One of his co-drivers radioed in that he needed to pit, 'cause he had to go and was pointed told by the team manager to "shut up, piss in the seat, and keep driving." It wasn't Steve's car so he didn't care but it was an insight into a mindset.

My fave is the story of Gianpiero Moretti pooping his drawers rather than coming in, when he won Daytona with Mad Max. But then, you see little old Italian ladies peeing by the Autostrada: They just don't have the potty taboos that 'mericans do. Blame it on the stand-up, "bombsight" toilets" that they have over there...

I did the NASA 3.5 hour enduro at VIR solo this spring and it was really fine in that respect. I had a drink bottle and emptied it, having started pretty hydrated, so the water went somewhere. Some of it went into the seat but not through me: I let the hose dangle between my leg and the bolster of my Recaro, and squeezed the bite valve enough that I suffered from some embarassing wetness.

K

EDIT - Geez, what a highjack.

Originally posted by m glassburner@Oct 16 2005, 06:50 PM
    I've never done well in spelling bees :P can you tell?
    [snapback]62765[/snapback]

LOL... touche' Geo!!!

And I have obviously failed more than one typing class!!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Originally posted by Knestis@Oct 16 2005, 09:28 PM
    Back in the '80s, a friend of mine had a seat in a Consulier (look that one up) at the Nelson Longest Day. One of his co-drivers radioed in that he needed to pit, 'cause he had to go and was pointed told by the team manager to "shut up, piss in the seat, and keep driving." It wasn't Steve's car so he didn't care but it was an insight into a mindset.

My fave is the story of Gianpiero Moretti pooping his drawers rather than coming in, when he won Daytona with Mad Max. But then, you see little old Italian ladies peeing by the Autostrada: They just don't have the potty taboos that 'mericans do. Blame it on the stand-up, "bombsight" toilets" that they have over there...

I did the NASA 3.5 hour enduro at VIR solo this spring and it was really fine in that respect. I had a drink bottle and emptied it, having started pretty hydrated, so the water went somewhere. Some of it went into the seat but not through me: I let the hose dangle between my leg and the bolster of my Recaro, and squeezed the bite valve enough that I suffered from some embarassing wetness.

K

EDIT - Geez, what a highjack.
    [snapback]62778[/snapback]
    Wow Consulier, haven't thought about those for a while. I wonder what ever happened to all the cars? I remember seeing one show up at a couple events in the late 80s/early 90s. Strange looking cars for sure!

They still make them.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Didn't Consulier morph in some fashion into Mosler, or was there some sort of legal action that resulted in that? There used to be one (turbo Dodge-em powered, IIRC) that ran all sorts of stupid fast at Bridgehampton in the early '90's.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Yup - that Dodge Omni GLH powered thing was what Steve ran. He was NOT particularly pleased with the build quality or strength, beating around NL.

K

I was there. It ran in the "prototype" class, a catch all of psuedo "showroom stock" cars that wanted the overall. It was fast. It was sloppy. But it was REALLY ugly!

The Mosler is the current, but far removed version of it. At one point it had a split V windshield.

The thing looked so much better after 24 hours when it had dents and tire marks and dirt and scratches. As a matter of fact, the less stock the body, the better it looked!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region