Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about IT's Future

Originally posted by Wayne@Oct 24 2005, 06:56 PM
    Isn't that the truth. I spent 6 years in and around the local circle track scene before coming to road racing 5 years ago. The cost structure and mindset is completely different. Their trophies are huge, the trophy girls are hot, and their sponsors and the track actually PAY THEM money to run.

We have local beater small car classes with very minimal build requirements that pay $300-$500 to win at some of the enduros. These guys have all of $600 or so into these little things (at most), and pay a $20 gate fee to race each night against full fields!

The sponsor mindset is completely different as well. The circle track guys EXPECT to have sponsors in order to even get on the track. Many of them simply will not race if they don't have sponsors to foot a good portion of the bill (if not all of it). When I tell these guys that I don't have any sponsors (at least what they think of as a sponsor $$$$$) in road racing, they look at me like I'm a complete idiot... wait, ok nevermind.. The thought of an individual footing almost the entire cost to go racing is just not in their mindset.

Having said all that, you won't find me bad mouthing circle track racing, as I miss many aspects of it. While I usually had more car repair/maintenance on my circle track car then I do on my road race car, road racing has been far, far more stressful on my family then circle track racing ever was.

Wayne
    [snapback]63412[/snapback]
    Don't kid yourself about this Wayne.

I spent 6 years crewing for a friend's circle-track car. This was an asphalt Late Model. We weren't the cheapest class (Street Stocks were below us), but we werent' the Modified or the Sportsman either. We didn't have any of the really low-budget or 4-cyl classes. But don't kid yourself, even those cars weren't cheap to race. Unless there is some kind of spec parts rule, or a claiming rule, don't expect to see a $600 car run at the front.

Our class were all tube-frame cars w/ fiberglass bodies. There were limits on the motors, but a top motor was still $8k - $10k (and this was an iron head, flat-top piston, 2bbl carb motor). All the crew had to pay to get in, and we had to buy NASCAR crew licenses. IIRC, it was $50 for the license for the year, and $20/wk to get in. Mutiply that by 5 or 6 each week, every week. It was a new set of tires each week, if you wanted any chance of running at the front ($400).

The race paid $600 or $800 to win (I forget the exact amount), and $80- to take the green flag. I think that purse money (anything above the $80) went back to 5th place, which was $100 instead of $80. One of the reasons that the tracks can afford to pay prize money, is that they're putting several hundred (a couple thousand) butts in the seats @ $15 - $25/each.

I know part of the reason for the fan appeal is that it's local. Most of the fans know at least one driver personally. They neighbors, co-workers, local business owners, etc. So they are people that they know. That, and they can see the entire race. The track we raced at was a 5/8th mile "D", and you could pretty much see the whole track from any seat in the house. And then there's the crash factor. This is just a part of short track racing, and it's one of the things that puts butts in the seats.

Ah yes, the crash factor. The times we brought the car home w/o having fix some crash damage were far less than the times we did. Maybe one weekend out of every 4 or 5. And those Five-Star fiberglass bodies don't hold up all that well. And while we had some sponsorship (sure as hell not very much), most of the money came out of the owner/driver's pocket. IIRC, he told me that he had spent well over $50k of his own money, over the course of 6 years of racing. Some people may not see that as all that much, over that period of time. But, he also got almost $20k worth of sponsorship during that same time period.

Oh, and let's talk about track time value (amount of track time for your $$$). Typical weekend was as follows:

3-5 min. warmup period
    8 lap heat race (~20 seconds/lap)
    12 lap consolation race
    20 lap feature

Granted, yellow-flag laps (which there were plenty of) didn't count towards the lap total, but you also weren't at speed.

So, that's 40 laps @ ~20 seconds/lap for ~ 12-13 min. along w/ the warmups, worked out to about 15 min. of track time per weekend. And pretty much the only way to break even was to finish 1st or 2nd, and 2nd was real close.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for good short-track drivers, but I just never found it all that appealing.

It's very difficult to explain road racing to anyone and especially the younger crowd, most of whom can't be bothered with rules and regulations which are for us old f**kers. The vast majority of the Tuner Kids were raised on the Playstation and want instant gratification - in other words, all this "going to racing school" and "building a legal car" is just a waste of time when they can go "race" their buddies on the Interstate at 1 am. Lastly, we all accept that our racecars are expendable b/c s**t happens - the Tuner Kids are driving their "baby" and while they have a desire to race, they aren't willing to accept or even understand that their "baby" can go from Creampuff to Scrap pile in a matter of seconds.
    Matt, you've hit the nail on the head! These kids will spend TONS of money on their cars, but there are a couple of key factors. For the most part, these kids think that just throwing money at the car (in terms of motor, turbo, suspension, etc.) will make the car faster. Very few of these kids EVER focus on driver development. This will be born out by going to just about any HPDE/lapping day, where a racer shows up w/ an IT car. You will quite often see ITC/B/A cars turning quicker lap times than cars w/ 2x-3x more horsepower.

Most of these kids have no idea about car setup and are of the attitude that "hey, I've got coilovers on my car, so it handles like a race car". I have to laugh when these kids ask about what springs are best, and they talk about brand names, rather than spring rates. I'd be willing to bet that if you walk up to 10 kids at one of these HPDE events, all of which have coilover setups on their cars, that 9 of them will have no idea what spring rate, or free length their springs are. You'll get answers like "It's a Weitec Cup Kit" or "They're H&R race springs". Most of these kids don't have a clue, and get most of their information for magazines.

A second key factor that Matt touched on, is the fact that these cars are their 'baby'. Most can't afford to write them off (as they're still paying for them), nor do they want to think about having to fix the bodywork. They also need something they can drive down to the local Pizza Hut with, and do burnout contests in the parking lot, w/ the rest of their wanker Tuner Kid buddies.

And because these kids think that they way to make a car faster is to just throw more money at it, they just don't get the concept of running w/ in a defined set of rules (e.g. "But why can't I can't I put a T4 turbo on my JDM B16A?" or "What do you mean I can't run a VR6 in my '78 Rabbit?" or "You've got to be kidding, I have to run 15x6 wheels instead of the 17x8's that I have?"

Sorry to say, but the vast majority of these kids will never 'get' road racing. They'd much rather go to Hot Import Nights, have burnout contests, and take pictures w/ NOPI skanks.

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Oct 25 2005, 06:54 AM
    Sorry to say, but the vast majority of these kids will never 'get' road racing. They'd much rather go to Hot Import Nights, have burnout contests, and take pictures w/ NOPI skanks.
    [snapback]63445[/snapback]
    Gee Bill, I hate it when you hold back. Come on dude, say what's on your mind.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Angry

Another reason why Tuner Kids gravitate towards Drag Racing is simply b/c that's what they do on the public roads, it's cheap and requires a minimum of preparation or safety equipment. Unlike wheel-to-wheel racing, there is a lesser perceived risk in drag racing as well which heightens the appeal. Furthermore, I can take my F350 with no mods (at least no safety mods ) to the drag strip tonight and for under $30, I could bracket-race it against my homies so we could determine who has the larger pee-pee.

It's not just the Tuner Kids who throw lots of money at their cars with the expectation of going faster. The majority of the owners in a VW-based car Club of America do the same thing and buy whatever the "racers" use, knowing that it will make their street 9xx as fast (if not faster) than the race versions seen at Le Mans. Granted these folks spend countless hours on-track but while their instructors are generally good, they are teaching their students to drive fast, NOT to race. As we all know, HPDE and Racing are very different animals - they both involve driving fast and car dymanics but beyond that, the two disciplines don't share much in common.

There is no simply solution to attracting more racers to Club Racing of any flavor. The costs are certainly higher than Drag Racing which is a financially limiting factor. Add into the equation that the cars must be prepared to rules rather than all out racecars (whatever that may be) and couple that with forcing the driver to be the dominant factor in how well the car performs and most folks will run away screaming.
    Haz-Matt Racing

Originally posted by x-ring@Oct 25 2005, 09:06 AM
    Gee Bill, I hate it when you hold back. Come on dude, say what's on your mind.
    [snapback]63447[/snapback]

Aw Ty, now you're going to make me blush!!! :P

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Oct 25 2005, 12:54 PM
    We didn't have any of the really low-budget or 4-cyl classes. But don't kid yourself, even those cars weren't cheap to race. Unless there is some kind of spec parts rule, or a claiming rule, don't expect to see a $600 car run at the front.
    Oh, I'm well aware of the costs for both the 4-cyl. class and the tube framed "limited sportsman" classes (which is what I raced).

My neighbor runs at the front of the "hornets" class with a $600 fiesta (actually he has three fiestas which he uses parts from) The rules are extremely restrictive for modifications allowed. "Safety requirements" are a helmet and a single vertical pipe behind the driver - stock radio must be retained and be functional. He won $300 for winning a 3 hour enduro. Those little fiestas must be tuff... not sure I could race a fiesta for 3 hours in a circle though.

Limited sportsman was a bit expensive I admit, but even that wasn't too bad considering.
    - Spec tires, strictly controlled on how many you are allowed to purchase. We most definitely were not buying new tires every week.

- nascar license not required for crew with this outfit.

- Stock small v8 w/ small carbs, right down to the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.

- Many popular stock-car parts are really inexpensive off the shelf (because they sell so many of them)

- Working on a purpose built race car is a joy compared to a converted street car. Super easy access, quick component replacement etc.

- I never had a problem finding hard working crew members who wanted to be there (this alone went a long way towards making the experience enjoyable). These guys not only would show up at the track but at my shop during the week if needed as well.

- Had sponsors every year I raced that provided real $$value&& and help off-set some of the cost.

- Track was 20minutes away.

- There was a race EVERY Friday or Saturday night. This meant I could miss a race during a month and not have to wait another month to race again.

- I would leave the house around 2:30pm Saturday afternoon with the car, and my wife and family would not have to leave the house until 6pm to get in the stands to watch the race.

- We would be home by 1am Sunday morning at the latest, usually closer to 11:30 pm Sat. night. I'd be able to race and be home for Church or lawn mowing every Sunday morning. Then repeat the next weekend. Contrast this with having to be at the road course with the family from Friday night to Sunday night.

- Family, friends, fans, and sponsors were far more "connected" to the sport and felt like a part of the experience as opposed to just watching "Wayne" do "his" thing in the road racer as he comes by you for one more lap and then disappears around the next corner... In circle track racing the stands bring everyone to together in one location, and as you mention they can share in the experience by seeing the entire goings-on of the race. The actual race is much more of a community event.

- Tons of very close competition for almost every single race.

I like road racing alright, but there are many positive things about circle track racing as well. My dad raced figure eights for awhile also, and that's yet another racing discipline I want to try before my time is up on this earth.

Wayne

Originally posted by Wayne@Oct 25 2005, 12:17 PM
    Oh, I'm well aware of the costs for both the 4-cyl. class and the tube framed "limited sportsman" classes (which is what I raced).

My neighbor runs at the front of the "hornets" class with a $600 fiesta (actually he has three fiestas which he uses parts from) The rules are extremely restrictive for modifications allowed. "Safety requirements" are a helmet and a single vertical pipe behind the driver - stock radio must be retained and be functional. He won $300 for winning a 3 hour enduro. Those little fiestas must be tuff... not sure I could race a fiesta for 3 hours in a circle though.

[snapback]63473[/snapback]

Wayne,

No roll cage in that Fiesta???

Honestly surprised that they let them race that way

I actually just did my first "Hornet" race here in Minnesota and it sounds like the rules here are even less. There's a $200 claim rule. You don't need a cage of any type. Can't have a racing seat. All you do is bust out the windows (except the front) chain the bumpers on and chain the doors shut, and that's it! I raced my friends $50 hyundai accent parts car. He just got it for parts for his other hornet car. No testing, no trying out the track, didn't even get to drive the car actually! Just hit the track and hope it holds together.

There are some parts of that sport that really do appeal. You've got all your friends and family there, the track is 30 minutes away, and you pay $25 and you're in for the whole night. Your car gets totalled you go out and find another piece of crap. So no camping, no driving 7 hours, blah blah blah.

One thing for sure though is 1/2 the guys don't have a clue how to drive and a 1/4 of those really don't care. Meaning they are out there to hit people if they get in the way. Driver etiqutte (sp?) just doesn't compute.

Driving in a circle just didn't seem to cover all the bases for me though. Sure it's a MUCH slower car then most circle cars, but for this type of racing if you drive in to fast, just slow down a bunch and you're fine. You can't really screw up to bad so it kind of lacks that rush I get by holding out for the last possible breaking spot or trying not to enter the corner to fast so I can stay on the track.

So for attracting today's youth our style of road racing is really beyond most of them. They love road racing if they know what it is but they have no way of getting a car for it and they can't use their lowered spoilered "type R" whatever. I was racing some guys on the Xbox telling them about road racing and all they wanted to know was how much I crash, hit people, have to fix the damage on my car. They weren't sure what kind of guy I was since I said "so far, never!". Seems like if it's not drag racing your turbo blah blah blah with a bunch of bolt on crappy parts, talking a bunch of trash and not hitting people, it must be nascar where you do hit people.

The price or road racing is sky high for the young as well. Especially when you throw in a trailer, a tow vehical and your "local" track is in the next state. That fact alone is making me really consider if I'm able to do this any longer. In Minnesota our nearest track is on the far side of Wisconsin 7 hours away. Good luck getting your friends to drive that far to watch a race. Now if only Brainerd would get their stuff together...

The thought of kart racing has been sneaking into my head as well. (sorry for any and all spelling errors, it's alls I knows hows to does!)
    Past owner of an ITA RX7

Originally posted by benracin@Oct 25 2005, 04:12 PM
    ...You don't need a cage of any type. Can't have a racing seat. All you do is bust out the windows (except the front) chain the bumpers on and chain the doors shut, and that's it! ...
    [snapback]63503[/snapback]
    Those guys are really safety conscious, with the chains and all. A local oval has "Strictly Stock" class which requires street tires, a helmet and no glass. It's not unusual to see some guy tow in a POS and proceed to take a hammer to the windows.

Racing is cheap when the track owner produces the event, and then makes a show. An owner once told me, "I can't sell them hot dogs if they aren't here." He is motivated to keep entry costs as low as possible to get as many drivers as possible, to make as good a show as possible, to get as many spectators as possible, to sell as many hot dogs as possible.

SCCA doesn't own the tracks at which it races (except one, right?), so there are no hot dog profits to subsidize entry fees.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

***SCCA doesn't own the tracks at which it races (except one, right?), so there are no hot dog profits to subsidize entry fees.***

Greg, which track do they own ?

Why would the SCCA have a desire to own a track when they get the slice off the top with the Regions doing all the work & posting all the track money ?

Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Originally posted by gsbaker@Oct 25 2005, 04:42 PM
    SCCA doesn't own the tracks at which it races (except one, right?), so there are no hot dog profits to subsidize entry fees.
    [snapback]63507[/snapback]
    three
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Stating all of these reasons why young people won't participate in road racing is the easy way out. I'm not saying I don't agree with SOME of the things being said here, but there needs to be a better focus from SCCA's stand point on how can we get them involved? It is expensive; kids don't care; too many rules; blah, blah, blah. Fine, forget those kids. There are many kids that would have interest.

I realize it is not as simple as this but we should look for some creative ideas on how to get more younger people involved. When I was younger, I would have loved to go to more races but simply couldn't get to the track as often as I wanted to. Just some silly ideas off the top of my head. A field trip for high school (maybe better yet vocational school) students to the track. Get them interested in volunteering. Figure out a way to get them rides to the track. Maybe that means pairing them up with some of us who drive to the track with our race cars. Have a mentor program that gets young people involved in racing even if they can't afford it for a few years. Have a SCCA open house at local schools - colleges and high schools. If kids go to the track, offer track rides like some tracks already do. Now that there are SCCA "HPDEs," send out invitations for people to go for track rides in a real race car. Many instructors currently are willing to take people out in the instructor run session, use this as a publicity opportunity. Maybe each region should have a recruiting committie where that is all they are out to accomplish; some may already have this? All I'm saying is that I wish more emphasis was placed on how it can be done versus why it just doesn't work. (Don't get me wrong here, reading these stories are entertaining.)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by benracin@Oct 25 2005, 04:12 PM
    I actually just did my first "Hornet" race here in Minnesota and it sounds like the rules here are even less. There's a $200 claim rule. You don't need a cage of any type. Can't have a racing seat. All you do is bust out the windows (except the front) chain the bumpers on and chain the doors shut, and that's it! I raced my friends $50 hyundai accent parts car. He just got it for parts for his other hornet car. No testing, no trying out the track, didn't even get to drive the car actually! Just hit the track and hope it holds together.

There are some parts of that sport that really do appeal. You've got all your friends and family there, the track is 30 minutes away, and you pay $25 and you're in for the whole night. Your car gets totalled you go out and find another piece of crap. So no camping, no driving 7 hours, blah blah blah.

One thing for sure though is 1/2 the guys don't have a clue how to drive and a 1/4 of those really don't care. Meaning they are out there to hit people if they get in the way. Driver etiqutte (sp?) just doesn't compute.

Driving in a circle just didn't seem to cover all the bases for me though. Sure it's a MUCH slower car then most circle cars, but for this type of racing if you drive in to fast, just slow down a bunch and you're fine. You can't really screw up to bad so it kind of lacks that rush I get by holding out for the last possible breaking spot or trying not to enter the corner to fast so I can stay on the track.

So for attracting today's youth our style of road racing is really beyond most of them. They love road racing if they know what it is but they have no way of getting a car for it and they can't use their lowered spoilered "type R" whatever. I was racing some guys on the Xbox telling them about road racing and all they wanted to know was how much I crash, hit people, have to fix the damage on my car. They weren't sure what kind of guy I was since I said "so far, never!". Seems like if it's not drag racing your turbo blah blah blah with a bunch of bolt on crappy parts, talking a bunch of trash and not hitting people, it must be nascar where you do hit people.

The price or road racing is sky high for the young as well. Especially when you throw in a trailer, a tow vehical and your "local" track is in the next state. That fact alone is making me really consider if I'm able to do this any longer. In Minnesota our nearest track is on the far side of Wisconsin 7 hours away. Good luck getting your friends to drive that far to watch a race. Now if only Brainerd would get their stuff together...

The thought of kart racing has been sneaking into my head as well. (sorry for any and all spelling errors, it's alls I knows hows to does!)
    [snapback]63503[/snapback]
    Yeah Ben, that's what I want to do. Be on a race track w/ a bunch of guys TRYING to crash, when I don't have a cage/race seat/window net/5-pt harness/etc. Next thing you're going to say, is that they allow them to drink in the pits!

On that subject, funny story. A few years ago, a bunch of us built some beater cars to go run in a junk car race. It was a charity fund raiser, put on by a car/mc club in Pa. They had like an 1/8th mile track, that the turned into a very large mud slick. Goal was to be the last car running. They had heat races to qualify for the feature. Rules were that you HAD to hit cars. If you avoided contact, they'd black flag you. What was even funnier, was that you could have a passenger, and that you could drink alcohol!!! Was actually a lot of fun.

Did you have cup holders ?? And a cooler bolted down in back?

Dick, a little information please on the three.......
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Oct 26 2005, 07:08 AM
    [snapback]63606[/snapback]
    Thunderhill, owned by SFR?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Oct 26 2005, 09:08 AM
    [snapback]63606[/snapback]
    thunder hill SFR
    butonwillow cal club
    roebling road buconeer (Georgia)
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I would be interested to see if the SCCA has a plan or even wants to market road racing to the younger import croud.Or how SCCA plans to rid it self of the
    Secret Car Club of America(or other less flatering acronym)
    hella

Some thoughts on oval track stuff.

I visited a local oval to pick up some Hoosier tires during the UPS strike and was amused at how close to the track I was allowed to be during a race. Right outside turn 2, the cars were literally 10 feet or less from me at one point. I was peppered with the marbles. I didn't think I was going to die immediately, but.....

What kind of insurance coverage does the snactioning body provide?

From the above posts, "safety" isn't a prime directive....

Aren't the doors chained shut so they don't open and get in the way during competition?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Oct 26 2005, 07:39 PM
    Some thoughts on oval track stuff.

I visited a local oval to pick up some Hoosier tires during the UPS strike and was amused at how close to the track I was allowed to be during a race. Right outside turn 2, the cars were literally 10 feet or less from me at one point. I was peppered with the marbles. I didn't think I was going to die immediately, but.....

What kind of insurance coverage does the snactioning body provide?

From the above posts, "safety" isn't a prime directive....

Aren't the doors chained shut so they don't open and get in the way during competition?
    [snapback]63756[/snapback]
    Part of our Vehical dynamics class was a field trip to Placerville and the local red dirt speed way, it's a real 1/8th mile bull ring bowl. Getting dirt marbles in your beer is part of the fun My Professor wanted us to see, "Unstable behavior" actually it was quite a fun outing. But I also know it can be dangerous too. I know of a crew guy killed by a flying tire, bounced over the baracade after comming off a wreck and into the pits. It doesn't matter the type of racing... I heard this from a SouthWest Tour guy:

How to make a Million dollars in racing?

Start with Two Million!

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I spent a LOT of time around the typical VW tuner crowd. Mainly I just hang out with them because I enjoy the shows with kids. My jetta never saw much of the typical tuner stuff. I got back into solo2 long before I was brainwashed by the tuner masses.

But this summer I blew up the motor in the jetta at the track. the problem turned out to be a very small vacuum leak and a cracked wire caused detonation on my 1.8T. The car is modified but mostly due to the fact that I chose to go SM in solo2 because I wanted the TT225 turbo (much more useable power.)

Anyway, the first reaction was everyone thought I blew it up drag racing. that soon faded as those that didnt know my just stopped asking. But next I told the local group I hang out with that I chose to go road racing. They looked at me with scorn. I got ever comment you can think of from "did you mortgage your house to buy the racecar" to "why would you want to race a slow golf"

I think that over time many who had this massive misinformation are understanding my biggest cost thus far has been buying a suitable tow vehical.

I do like the idea of a mentor program. I been doing a lot of that with this exact crowd. I have told many, if you want to come down for the weekend let me know and they can even hitch a ride with me friday night or saturday morning.

Cost was a big thing, they buying even on a built car and all my gear was enough to make some turn pale. but when I reflect what they have spent on their street cars to make them pretty and fast, they shrink back.

But I think more of the serious HPDE guys are more likely to move onto racing in the comming years then the average tuner or solo kids.

I remember an article in the WDCR Straitpipe publication about a solo2 driver that could never grasp why we like road racing so much. He talked about the cost of racing and all, but then as he said, diffrent strokes. His biggest complaint was SCCA developing a better route for a solo2 enthusiest to make their way to club racing a little at a time. I though what they did was great. Now we just need to see if that program can actually foster the younger crowd into club racing.

(BTW I stopped calling it road racing as everyone things its 1/4 mile illegal street racing. Calling it club racing they ask better questions and understand quickly.)
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires