Thread: Concerned about IT's Future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[quote]
    In the Southeast I think it is Spec Miata.

I'd be willing to bet that if you look at OVERALL entries for a regional weekend from 5 years ago compared to today the number would be very similar.

The thing is, now there are 5 to 10 fewer cars in each of the IT classes and 40 cars in SM.

This is what bothers me about people constantly saying that SM is GRRRREAT for SCCA. "Look at how popular it is!" "Look at how its caused entries to go up!"
    Well, no it hasn't. Its just stolen entrants from other classes.
    Just my opinion of course.

But I'm not worried. At some point these guys will get sick of spending $25K on a friggin Miata to run in 15th place and repair body damage nearly every weekend. This SM craze won't last forever. The big dogs will go national, and regionally the class will likely lose some of its lustre.

I have to agree with Scott. I havent raced my Suzuki Swift in a year now. I will next season since the run group has changed in the sediv. I spent the past year vintage racing instead of SCCA and vintage. Got tired of a shrinking field and qualifying second or third and having to pass 12 sm's to gain a position in class. I think the different run group will help itb and itc grow. I know alot of b and c drivers that had to do bodywork that normally would not have had to. Not saying it was the sm groups fault, but the b and c cars were in the way of their feild. We are racing too but with 4or5 b and c cars, we were in their way. I also see alot of b and c drivers piloting sm thinking it would be cheaper. I also see some of their cars for sale after a year or two. The numbers will go back up, it will just take a year or two. Maybe three with the rising fuel cost. There are still good b and c canidates in my eyes. We just have to think of lesser econo boxes like Suzuki, Kia , Dawoo LOL

[quote]
    In the Southeast I think it is Spec Miata.

I know alot of b and c drivers that had to do bodywork that normally would not have had to.
    [snapback]62746[/snapback]
    That would be me, the SM that hit me ran over 3 other cars in the same race, two IT cars and one other SM. The only reason that I am putting the Opel back on the track next year is I will not have to run with those.....people. I personally think they should have run the SM with AS, let them bounce of a 4000 pound Firebird a couple times and their driving habits would change. It also does not matter how fast you are, when I ran my MR2 I had more then one close call with a Miata, started at my school when 2 went into the wall and 4 had a big get to gether at the start of our sunday race. Someone please explain the thinking of these people when they get behind the wheel, it almost looks like road rage to me.

But I think FWIW, class new cars, I know that my old 1972 car will not be top dog forever, but as long as I can get it out there and the car is legal let the car run. But I think that the old B&C cars are going to be out classed by any thing made in the last few years, just the way it is.