Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first gen rx7 ITS cars

I'm not sure what models of first gen RX7s qualify to run ITS. Can it only be the 1985 model or can it be an earlier chassis. I was considering putting a 13b motor in an 83 chassis....would that make the car lega for ITS...that plus 14" wheels?

Unfortunately, no. You have to find a "genuine" 84-85 GSL-SE and you can only work off of that chassis if you run the 13B.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yup, in this case there are a ton of differences between the S, GS and GSL in ITA and the GSL-SE in ITS other than the motor and the wheels. The entire hub and brake system are different.

Legally, of course, the VIN must be appropriate....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

At the risk of offending the few that are out there, the big question is - WHY? The 2nd gen has so much more going for it, why put a 1st gen in ITS?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

wel, thats very true...the weight is too high on the 1st gen to overcome the issues, and I think the 14" wheels are a deficit.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

plus as the 85 13b car is on it's own spec line you can not use any 2nd gen parts. i understand the fuel injection from the 85 is pretty lame.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Originally posted by dickita15@Oct 13 2005, 10:53 AM
    plus as the 85 13b car is on it's own spec line you can not use any 2nd gen parts. i understand the fuel injection from the 85 is pretty lame.
    [snapback]62509[/snapback]

You would be starting with an engine that has 135 hosepower stock at the flywheel.
    Bret de Pedro
    RP Performance
    304-728-6749
    MARRS 2005 ITA Champion
    Summit Point 12 hour SM 1st place
    2004,2005,2006 SSM 2007
    Ask about our SM rentals
    and trackside support

Originally posted by RP Performance@Oct 13 2005, 08:41 AM
    You would be starting with an engine that has 135 hosepower stock at the flywheel.
    [snapback]62523[/snapback]
    vs an S5 (89-91) with 160 stock HP. Then there's the IRS, and the brakes, and...
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Originally posted by Eagle7@Oct 13 2005, 11:21 AM
    vs an S5 (89-91) with 160 stock HP. Then there's the IRS, and the brakes, and...
    [snapback]62548[/snapback]
    Right but the SE bigger brakes are decent size, the GSL brakes work fine under IT conditions anyways. the SE in ITS is 150# lighter than the FC, but that still doesn't get it to the same power/weight ratio of the FC. ok so I'm not sure why anyone would want to, unless they obviously had the car ready to make race. Even then competively better off in prod! =)

In IT the first gen has best chances in ITA. Makes sense finacially too rather than having to buy complete SE drivetrain.
    Ron Davis
    63 EP 81 rx7 (formerly)
    22 ITB rabbit (next year)

Marty, hope to see ya at gman again (kid from western that drove the crx that day)

I'm guessing the question is related to the GSL-SE on eBay with no title intended to be built into an ITS car.

Would be a fun package... I dont think it would be the killer class car but I think it could be made competitive just about anywhere but the NE and SE. Of course, you'd have to spend quite a bit more money to get there than with an FC.
    RX-7 & Miata Parts, Rentals, etc.
    www.taylorrotorsports.com

To say it isn't a class killer car would be a spectacular understatement. There have been a few 84-85 GSL-SE ITS cars built and they have NO chance, even developed to the edge, against the dominant ITS cars. Their brakes and increased horsepower and torque also make them unsuitable for a move to ITA as long as 12a cars reside there so they are essentially an orphan. I would actually guess that they wouldn't even be overdogs against some of the ITA Hondas, but that is a whole different arguement!

Originally posted by Chris Taylor@Nov 3 2005, 11:34 PM
    I'm guessing the question is related to the GSL-SE on eBay with no title intended to be built into an ITS car.

Would be a fun package... I dont think it would be the killer class car but I think it could be made competitive just about anywhere but the NE and SE. Of course, you'd have to spend quite a bit more money to get there than with an FC.
    [snapback]64569[/snapback]
    R. Bostrom
    ICSCC #155

Boswoj, what's the deal with the MacArthur E Prod car ? Who owns the car at this time ? When Bruce had it stored as is with the 12A installed (he cooked the 13B at the Runoffs) from the 2002 Runoffs he was looking for $7,500 as the last number I knew.

Some strange storys with reference to that car. Well, being that we are talking about a race car the storys are not all that strange.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

What about the GSL-SE in ITS at 2350lbs? Anybody think it would be a decent car?

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Nov 4 2005, 03:12 PM
    What about the GSL-SE in ITS at 2350lbs? Anybody think it would be a decent car?

AB
    [snapback]64613[/snapback]

How could that hurt?

There is an ITS first gen in KC that is a highly developed car. It is being used to test EP suspension pieces and will serve as an EP backup car when necessary. It is owned/driven by Charlie Clark of KC Raceware.

How about moving the GSLSE to ITA and the 12A to ITB?

Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Originally posted by mustanghammer@Nov 4 2005, 03:12 PM

How about moving the GSLSE to ITA and the 12A to ITB?
    [snapback]64638[/snapback]
    In order for this to work, you would have to do the following (estimates):

13B to ITA @ 2600
    12A to ITB @ 2600

or

13B stays in ITS @ 2350
    12A stays in ITA @ 2280

What is more pallatable? Both 'fit' the new process.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

13B to ITA @ 2600
    12A to ITB @ 2600

or

13B stays in ITS @ 2350
    12A stays in ITA @ 2280

Contrary to some comments by others on this site about 1st gen weight I have a ITA legal 1st gen RX-7 "S" model that with 2 gallons of fuel & with my driver weight @ 205 I can come in from track under 2380 pounds depending how the scale is reading for the day. The car dose not have the mandatory future two tubes per door & it dose have the door glass.

Andy, I like the ITA 2280 pounds. Ya I can loose 100 pounds. (just don't ask me where) I don't like the 2600 pound ITB car in the other thread. Adding 220 pounds to a 1st gen RX-7 in ITB would IMHO make the thing as bad as the 1st gen 13B in ITS at whale weight. At 2600 pounds in ITB it would stop like a whale. Lets think SAFETY.

Many people with a 1st gen RX-7 would not win if they raced in IT7. & that's the way life is...................
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I don't know the whole story, but I bet it isn't pretty. I was negotiating to buy it at $7500 when he had it listed when the whole "custody battle" started. I don't know enough to take sides, but it sounds like a former employee was storing it in his new shop and after a couple of years of holding it felt he was entitled to sell it to cover the storage. I would hope that they both had a clear understanding of the others obligations in this mattter, but hey - it's racecar stuff and thats all usually done with a handshake. At some point one or the other (or both) got pissed and somebody got greedy over the possibilty of seeing some green from the sale of the car. I am sure you read my posts over at the Prod website - the last e-mails I got from Bruce stated pretty clearly the he thought they were stealing the car. It's a bad situation, and even though I would seriously consider buyig the car I hesitate to get in the middle of that particular soap opera. It's tempting but I've tried to reach Bruce and get his blessing and have been unable to do so.

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Nov 4 2005, 01:15 PM
    Boswoj, what's the deal with the MacArthur E Prod car ? Who owns the car at this time ? When Bruce had it stored as is with the 12A installed (he cooked the 13B at the Runoffs) from the 2002 Runoffs he was looking for $7,500 as the last number I knew.

Some strange storys with reference to that car. Well, being that we are talking about a race car the storys are not all that strange.
    [snapback]64605[/snapback]
    R. Bostrom
    ICSCC #155

I don't like the 2600 pound ITB car in the other thread. Adding 220 pounds to a 1st gen RX-7 in ITB would IMHO make the thing as bad as the 1st gen 13B in ITS at whale weight. At 2600 pounds in ITB it would stop like a whale. Lets think SAFETY.
    The weight for our Spec RX7 is at 2530. With my lard butt in the car I am probably closer to 2570. Give us the other IT stuff and keep the 13x7 wheels, and the RX7 at 2600 (or so) might not be too bad
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Originally posted by pgipson@Nov 4 2005, 09:58 PM
    The weight for our Spec RX7 is at 2530. With my lard butt in the car I am probably closer to 2570. Give us the other IT stuff and keep the 13x7 wheels, and the RX7 at 2600 (or so) might not be too bad
    [snapback]64660[/snapback]
    What about at 13*6? ( ITB Spec)

Marcus, who is used to running his Pro7 at 2520 with 13*5.5.... and won his first ever race last weekend at the NASA Norcal season ender.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

***2600 pounds in ITB***

***What about at 13*6? ( ITB Spec)***

Why should the ITA cars be required to spend to move to ITB ? Ya want to buy my 8 Panasports ? Approx $1,600 new..........

Why should we be required to try & stop a 2600 (is 2380 now) pound car with what are at this time questional brakes on the 12A ?

Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14