Thread: Anyone have the ISC IT exhaust system...

The system came with one hanger only. I called ISC and they said that they use just the one hanger back at the muffler...then nothing until the header mounted to the engine block. A whole exhaust system supported by one hanger? Does anyone run this setup? If so, does it really get supported by only one hanger? I have the full system in my garage...waiting to install it.
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 6 2005, 12:51 PM
    The system came with one hanger only. I called ISC and they said that they use just the one hanger back at the muffler...then nothing until the header mounted to the engine block. A whole exhaust system supported by one hanger? Does anyone run this setup? If so, does it really get supported by only one hanger? I have the full system in my garage...waiting to install it.
    [snapback]61953[/snapback]

I used the rear section of that setup on a turbo 1st gen street car I built. I didn't like the idea either. I ended up cutting the stock hangers off and welding them into position so that the whole exhaust was better supported.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

I have used the ISC system with one hanger all season. No problems. (with the exhaust)
    4 regional weekends 3 test days at Lime rock park.
    Lou Iannaccone
    NER ITA/7 RX7 #79
    New Milford CT

Sooner or later it will break. Then you will have a broken exhaust and possibly a damaged or bent header. Seems a little irresponsible to me.
    I figure that 3 is the minimum, even on a street car, especially if you are going to run any enduros.
    Just my opinion though.

Charles Buzzetti
    Charles Buzzetti
    2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
    2010 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
    2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
    2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion
    2009 NASA GTS-1 National P3

I think I am going to come up with something so there are at least two. That way if one should fail at least there is one backup.
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Originally posted by cbuzzetti@Oct 6 2005, 07:02 PM
    Sooner or later it will break. Then you will have a broken exhaust and possibly a damaged or bent header. Seems a little irresponsible to me.
    I figure that 3 is the minimum, even on a street car, especially if you are going to run any enduros.
    Just my opinion though.

Charles Buzzetti
    [snapback]61985[/snapback]
    I check it after every race weekend and test day along with lots of other things (Not checking it would be little irresponsible) it has not loosen up at all. but i will keep an eye on it. ISC said to put the hanger in front of the muffler and use a small chain at the back for support so thats what
    i did. they sent a nice picture of how it should look. I though since they build and race rx7 they
    know what works.
    Lou Iannaccone
    NER ITA/7 RX7 #79
    New Milford CT

When I buy one, I'l augment it with my enduro special hanger; stainless braided wire, light and effective, should you have an issue.

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

if you add hangers, and I can see why you would, make sure they have enough flex to tolerate the exhaust "growing" as it gets hot.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Originally posted by 83rx701@Oct 6 2005, 11:48 PM
    I check it after every race weekend and test day along with lots of other things (Not checking it would be little irresponsible) it has not loosen up at all. but i will keep an eye on it. ISC said to put the hanger in front of the muffler and use a small chain at the back for support so thats what
    i did. they sent a nice picture of how it should look. I though since they build and race rx7 they
    know what works.
    [snapback]61988[/snapback]

Do you have a picture of your setup? I spoke to them and they mentioned a chain...you'd think if they are recommending this to everyone they would include it as part of their kit! Anyway, I am putting it in today. If you have a pic of your setup I would appreciate a peek at it.

Ben
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

My IT7 came with the ISC system and there are two hangers. One on each side of the muffler. I can't tell you how long it has been on there. The hangers are of the rubber strap type for isolation and flex.

Tom Sprecher

Originally posted by tom_sprecher@Oct 7 2005, 02:28 PM
    My IT7 came with the ISC system and there are two hangers. One on each side of the muffler. I can't tell you how long it has been on there. The hangers are of the rubber strap type for isolation and flex.
    [snapback]62037[/snapback]
    The Dynamax muffler that came with my setup has no hangers on it at all. It came with a muffler clamp and a gizmo that attaches to the clamp and connects to the car. So, the muffler is hanging at the end with no support. I guess that's why they tell you to put a "piece of chain" at the end of the muffler to support it...but they don't supply anything to do it!
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 7 2005, 08:54 AM
    Do you have a picture of your setup? I spoke to them and they mentioned a chain...you'd think if they are recommending this to everyone they would include it as part of their kit! Anyway, I am putting it in today. If you have a pic of your setup I would appreciate a peek at it.

Ben
    [snapback]62025[/snapback]
    Ben, if you can send me your e-mail i can send you some pictures I think. I'm not that good with computer stuff.
    [email protected]
    Lou
    Lou Iannaccone
    NER ITA/7 RX7 #79
    New Milford CT

Originally posted by 83rx701@Oct 7 2005, 09:07 PM
    Ben, if you can send me your e-mail i can send you some pictures I think. I'm not that good with computer stuff.
    [email protected]
    Lou
    [snapback]62064[/snapback]

Thanks Lou! It's [email protected]

I appreciate it!
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Here's a side-by-side (picture attached) of my old exhaust with the new ISC exhaust (ITS). I also added a hanger behind the muffler (and a short extension), and welded two 8 mm nuts to the frame rails to attach the hangers to. ISC also suggested a front support off the side of the transmission, but I haven't done anything up front yet. Guess which system breathed better on the dyno. (Watch out Ludwig, here I come! )
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)