Thread: RX-7 Alternator

There are 3 terminals on my 1G alternator. The one with the 10 ga wire I assume is the output. What are the other 2 w/18 ga wire that are next to each other?

Tom Sprecher

The only thing that comes to mind is that they are for the 'Field' circuit. You can check this by putting a test light or meter on both terminals and setting the Ignition switch On and Off to see which one has power when ON. Both may be 'hot' but one should be switched. Hope this helps a little.
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Thanks to: KONI, Firefox Industries-Fire Suppression Systems, KIRK Racing and a host of others.

I think it needs an "ignitor", so one of the smaller wires would be hot.

Your correct about the 10g being the output. The other two smaller wires would be the field or "energize" wire and the amp meter or idoit guage wires. You can test the field wire with a test light. It should be "on" when the key is in the on position without the engine running. When the engine is started the test light (and dash light) should go off. I some systems this wire is earth when the key is off
    Wallace
    Ignorance can be overcome through experience and education. Stupidity is often fatal