Thread: Can someone recommend a PC video editing program?

I have a digital videocamera that I mount to my rollcage. I downloaded people's videos and they look great! I currently am using MGI Cinematic. It was very cheap and it works so-so. The quality of the video is fairly poor. I wonder what program people use that result in crystal clear videos that I see on the net? To make a video of acceptable quality with MGI the file turns out to be HUGE. Any thoughts?
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

I'm no expert, but I use Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. Version 8 was very frustrating, but 9 is quite a bit better. You can produce very professional looking results if you care to learn the product and spend the time.

The video files I get are huge, something like 12 GB per hour. Fortunately, big hard drives aren't that expensive these days.

Hint - on my digital camera, I get better quality if I download the video through a firewire (1394) interface than if I use USB.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Originally posted by Eagle7@Oct 6 2005, 12:08 AM
    I'm no expert, but I use Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. Version 8 was very frustrating, but 9 is quite a bit better. You can produce very professional looking results if you care to learn the product and spend the time.

The video files I get are huge, something like 12 GB per hour. Fortunately, big hard drives aren't that expensive these days.

Hint - on my digital camera, I get better quality if I download the video through a firewire (1394) interface than if I use USB.
    [snapback]61879[/snapback]

I do have a firewire...which is why I was expecting a bit better quality than what I am getting.
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 6 2005, 01:11 AM
    I do have a firewire...which is why I was expecting a bit better quality than what I am getting.
    [snapback]61885[/snapback]
    Having some, albeit minimal experience myself, there may be various quality settings that can be adjusted within the software/camera. Also, if the camera is already producing a compressed video format (mpeg4 for instance), massaging/editing it more generally results in lower quality. (think of 2nd/3rd gen photo copies). Try to start with the least compression you can muster at the cam, edit, then compress.

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8.
    It allows me to select the quality of the output file after I do all my editing.
    I don't select the highest quality because I have limited server space available.
    I also try to edit the video to the minimum footage I can get away with to keep the file size down.
    Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

Originally posted by Racer Chris@Oct 7 2005, 01:49 PM
    I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8.
    It allows me to select the quality of the output file after I do all my editing.
    I don't select the highest quality because I have limited server space available.
    I also try to edit the video to the minimum footage I can get away with to keep the file size down.
    [snapback]62032[/snapback]
    How easy to use is Pinnacle Studio 8? I am definitely a beginner and am looking for ease of use!
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 7 2005, 09:15 AM
    How easy to use is Pinnacle Studio 8? I am definitely a beginner and am looking for ease of use!
    [snapback]62035[/snapback]
    I find it easy to use. It is organized pretty well. The difficulties associated with it have to do with crashing the computer while capturing or rendering. I have to shut off the screen saver and other background programs, empty the trash can, etc. before running the program. Where you store the file on your hard drive can be critical too. I downloaded the updates from the Pinnacle website which did help a lot initially.
    If you have a digital camera with Firewire port it is real easy to capture the video. The camera buttons are right on the computer screen.
    The edit portion has titles and transitions. It is easy to adjust the beginning and end of aech segment, and to preview how they will look together after finalizing.
    The rendering portion of the program allows you to choose the video and sound quality so you decide how much memory your video will take. You can select Media Player vs. Real Player, etc.
    Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

Chris, if you're still using version 8, I recommend the version 9 upgrade. I've found it much more stable and also much less likely to have audio/video synch problems.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I'm using the Nero software that came with my DVD burner - I've had good luck with it.
    Kevin M. Keller
    crew, '94 Saturn SC2 ITA CenDiv 2003 Champs
    F&C, STL Region
    http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

Originally posted by Eagle7@Oct 11 2005, 08:43 PM
    Chris, if you're still using version 8, I recommend the version 9 upgrade. I've found it much more stable and also much less likely to have audio/video synch problems.
    [snapback]62347[/snapback]
    I understand. Thanks for the recommendation. I spent too much on racing this year though, so I don't have a computer budget for a while longer.

I haven't had A/V synch issues, but I've never tried overdubbing. The crashing problem seems to be mostly under control if I shut off all the TSR's.
    Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

Originally posted by Racer Chris@Oct 13 2005, 11:17 AM
    I understand. Thanks for the recommendation. I spent too much on racing this year though, so I don't have a computer budget for a while longer.

I haven't had A/V synch issues, but I've never tried overdubbing. The crashing problem seems to be mostly under control if I shut off all the TSR's.
    [snapback]62513[/snapback]

TSR's?
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

How inexpensive can version 9 be found for?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by Ben 84 RX-7@Oct 17 2005, 04:29 PM
    TSR's?
    [snapback]62831[/snapback]
    "Terminate Stay Resident", IIRC. Programs that are started/mounted/loaded/invoked and then run in the background. For example, a program that accepts faxes delivered via your modem. They use up memory and cycles.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by gsbaker@Oct 17 2005, 03:53 PM
    "Terminate Stay Resident", IIRC.
    Yep. For me that means screen saver, antivirus, firewall, wi-fi adapter software, etc.
    Chris Foley
    Tangerine Racing

I've help someone use Nero, it works fine enough. I would avoid getting the version 7 that just came out, because it's getting really bloated. You can also looked into finding an OEM version of Nero. It might not have ALL the extra software, but it should be fine for imporing your video and making video files for the Web. The specific application that it needs to included (there are several OEM versions) is Nero ShowTime. The OEM version can usually be found for under $10. The normal 'Ultra' version is normally $80, but you can find rebates for $20-$30. Outpost.com has a rebate for the next 2 days. CT residents be forewarned, you will pay sales tax.

Also, if you want to try out a free program, Avid has one. http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

Personally, I use my Mac for video importing. It just works.

Slightly off-topic, but TSRs are DOS programs, and not the crap that runs in the background of a modem computer. Those are just programs like any other. They don't terminate by any definition, just because they mininize to the system tray, or 'disappear' from sight. TSR were meant to get around the fact that DOS could only run 1 program at a time. Here's more detailed info, for the technically curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termina..._stay_resident

-Jon Quimbaya
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Originally posted by gran racing@Oct 17 2005, 08:38 PM
    How inexpensive can version 9 be found for?
    [snapback]62834[/snapback]
    I use Studio version 9 and I'm happy with it.
    It's easy to use and with the latest patches is very stable.

I've seen it for about $50 after sale/rebates at Fry's
    I think version 10 is coming out soon so it's a good time to pick up version 9 very cheaply.

What is the website for fry's? I tried a few different versions but obtained other companies web sites. $50 is really cheap! When I looked a few months ago, I was seeing them form much more than that.
    Dave Gran

Fry's Electronics bought outpost.com a few years ago. So that's there website. They don't have any stores in the east.
    -Jon Quimbaya
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Looks like Studio is now selling it for $39.99. Very cool!!
    Dave Gran

I did some further research on Studio 9 and heard many bad things about the program, primarily that it crashes quite often among other things. There were several posts on Circuit City’s web page. What are your thoughts about Studio 9? If Studio 10 is more stable, I’d rather pay the extra money and not deal with all of the BS. (I’ve used Studio 8 before and thought it was a pretty nice program. It is also pretty easy to use.
    Dave Gran