Thread: Regional Race

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is from a Race Chairperson/Registrar:

Restricted Regionals are "restricted" only in the sense of their deviation from the "Regional only" classes, and licenses as defined in the GCR. A region may run a Restricted Regional in situations where a regional race (restricted) is added to the National race card, where there is not enough time to run the full schedule of "regional only" classes. The intent here is to be a part of the event using the time available. Western New York did this by adding SS, AS, and IT Enduro cars to the National that we ran at Mosport, Canada. That whole event was run with the Canadian Car Club classes during a two day weekend. Our intent here was to allow opportunities for (unfornately only a few) regional drivers to run a great track like Mosport. We don't get the opportunity to get our American cars classed in the Canadian classes easily so as to run that track. Secondly, a region may use it to "flesh out" the entry...earn more money. Thirdly, to attract existing cars to race. WNY brings in a few Canadian entries that could never otherwise run under SCCA rules.

Another instance where the Restricted Regional Sanction was used was to include drivers with other than SCCA regional/national licenses. The only specification of the SCCA other than safety regulations (car classes), was membership in the SCCA, and the license accepted by the region putting on the race. We had this consideration for the Canadian licensed drivers, and Detroit Region has a similar consideration for Waterford Hills licensed drivers. I'm sure other regions have similar parallel clubs that they include in their activities.

The Regions that use the Restricted Sanction have to pay an extra fee, which is not based on the classes or licenses, for the ability to craft their entry as they consider appropriate for their application.

Incidentally, WNY will use this format again, at the up and coming Pumpkin Regional at Nelson Ledges, Ohio. Dates are October 29th and 30th. The usual "come one and all" spirit prevails, as does the traditional Costume party Saturday night.

Questions for entry information sent to me:[email protected], or entries NESCCA web site at the "on line registration". See you there.

When exploring this option with SCCA national office for Western New York Region over twenty years ago, I facetiously used the possibility of a race for school buses, with bus driver licenses, in their own class!!!

The answer I received was "OK", as long as safety requirements were met. :119:

Hope this fills in a few blanks.

Bill Frieder
    Western New York Region SCCA
    Was Registrar, now only sleeps with one (Wife, Karen).

Originally posted by bill f@Oct 8 2005, 11:05 AM

The intent here is to be a part of the event using the time available. Western New York did this by adding SS, AS, and IT Enduro cars to the National that we ran at Mosport, Canada. That whole event was run with the Canadian Car Club classes during a two day weekend. Our intent here was to allow opportunities for (unfornately only a few) regional drivers to run a great track like Mosport.

I know I've pestered Roy B. and Phil H. about this for years, but I'll just keep it up - Is there any way we can again get a race date (alone or shared) at Mosport ? With the RunOffs moving back into October in 2006 (and probably for the following years), the schedule pressure of Nationals is relieved just a bit. I know the economics of the previous SCCA/CASC weekends at Mosport weren't always great...but man-o-man...Mosport is my favorite track on earth (and I've raced everywhere from Florida to Canada).

I know we can run with CASC at their sprints and enduros, but we're always just stew meat for the CASC classes (nice people, great cars...but much faster cars).

Still lobbying...anyone want to bring it up at the NEDiv fall Mini-Con ? Mosport in 2006 or 2007 or 2008 ? Time to start a conversation with our northern cousins ?