I spent last week attending the Run Off's at Mid Ohio. I worked for my region, helped crew for a friend and was a spectator.

This was the first time I had been to this event and thought it was cool. from an SCCA members point of view this is the Super Bowl, they really put on a great show from every aspect.

Long test and qualifying sessions, open meetings with the National CRB, parties every night a manufacturers midway and more stewards and volunteers than you can shake a stick at. let's not forget cheap $300.00 entry.

Even the small classes had close to 30 cars. One thing I did notice is the age of many production cars, some were competing in their 30th championship. While I was attending a CRB meeting I listened while many drivers who have these older cars complained about their inability to locate parts. I was told they build them so tight they don’t last, which caused me think why do we allow rules creep or make new rules just so the same cars can have all the fun?

How can the SCCA call this event their "National championship" when they exclude roughly 50% ( probably more) of the regular competitors in their club?

The Regional events that you compete in deliver the lions share of all revenue to your club, while most Nationals hover around even or some loose money.

Next year SM will be included in Topeka for the 06 Run Off’s. As we all know this class has exploded on to the scene in the last few years and helped increase entry levels at regional races. Participation levels in IT have also grown continually for the last few years, not at the level of SM but still a respectable level.

My question to all of you, if you could have the opportunity to head west and compete against the very best in the country would you?

I know the ARRC is supposed to be the equal but I have been there and it is not. Nothing against that event, I just think the distance from the west coast make it an easy decision for them to skip the event, so is it really the American Road Racing Championship?

Without getting into how we could make it happen let's hear what you think?

Brian Mushnick
[email protected]
#3 ITA golf