Thread: LRP Accident

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Originally posted by supersmile@Sep 28 2005, 11:48 AM
    I race a SRF, and did run the one hour enduro with EMRA at Pocono in August. We're typically grouped with small bore production cars at NHIS and generally there aren't too many problems. Its probably as hard for us to see smaller open wheel cars like formula vees as it is for tintops to see us.

I will say that after sharing the track at Pocono with race trucks and the like, I decided to skip the EMRA race at Lime Rock because I wasn't comfortable with the large disparity in lap times around a much tighter, more crowded circuit.

FWIW, on the sports racing forum site one of Adam's crew said that he was wearing his HANS device, and his belts were tight.
    [snapback]61331[/snapback]
    1st Great sadnest when we lose some one to racing, pro or weekend driver still a racer. We try not to think of getting hurt or in this case die.
    From what I see again as others have said not an expert but. Car stopped in track and a car driving full throttle to a blind spot is just bad. EMRA has been running like this for years. Pro`s do it. But pro`s are used to it and can have safer cars. We go out to race with cars that come from junk yards at times. trying to save monies were we can. I`m not sure but I think I heard the driver had a HANS. If the driver went
    into another car like that in anything it could be real bad. I think I`m doing 70 mph at that point. We do know it can happen. I just kinda put the thought out of my head while I`m doing it. I guess It`s up to us to make sure we do what we can to protect ourselves and others. When we see a driver having problems with car contol we should talk to them to help there driving skills to reduce spins and crashes. It happens but some are just down right dangerous. LRP is not a safe track at that place anyway. No Tires or a run off just a very fast steel rail that says hit me. I know the wall had nothing to do with it but things like that need to be fixed. We pay to play. I love LRP but they need to catch up with the program to protect the drivers. They fixed paddock B`s flooding cost some monies why not fix the up hill.
    Againg my heart goes out to the friends and family and anyone who were affected emotionaly.
    I use a Hutchens now after hitting a wall at NHIS and brought to the hospital to have my neck checked out. Thankfully I was ok just sore. So If you think a restraint gets in the way it does not. We are restricted in the seats anyway and you get used to it.
    Scott ITA NER CRXsi

Originally posted by p99ro@Oct 24 2005, 01:54 AM
    I think I`m doing 70 mph at that point. We do know it can happen. I just kinda put the thought out of my head while I`m doing it. I guess It`s up to us to make sure we do what we can to protect ourselves and others. When we see a driver having problems with car contol we should talk to them to help there driving skills to reduce spins and crashes. It happens but some are just down right dangerous. LRP is not a safe track at that place anyway. No Tires or a run off just a very fast steel rail that says hit me. I know the wall had nothing to do with it but things like that need to be fixed. We pay to play. I love LRP but they need to catch up with the program to protect the drivers. They fixed paddock B`s flooding cost some monies why not fix the up hill.

[snapback]63315[/snapback]
    I agree 1000%. The right hand uphill needs to be fixed and soon before more people die. I have hit the guard rail and it's like hitting a brick wall. The guard rail has fvcking earth behind it! The rail needs to be removed and a tire wall needs to be placed like 10 feet back from where the guard rail is now. We need a little bit of runoff.

I was told the sedan hit the guard rail and because of no runoff was now across the track. Adam(R.I.P.) had no place to go but into the front of the sedan.

It's 2006 LRP, get with the times. Go to VIR and you can drive like a lunatic and never worry about even denting your car if you go off track, never mind die.

Tire wall and little bit of runoff would make it 100x safer. Don't tell me it can't be done either. It's probably a weeks worth of work if that.

I am pissed!!!!!!

Originally posted by 100@Jan 9 2006, 12:49 AM
    Don't tell me it can't be done either.
    [snapback]70451[/snapback]
    You should be pissed, but guess what? It can't be done.

It can't be done for two main reasons: one, there's a creek/swamp back behind that earth embankment that the guardrail fronts; and two, the local community will never approve any significant changes to the track. You'd never get approval to move that creek (from the town, from EPA, from environmental groups) and you'll never get approval to fill it. And, oh, the local community will never approve any significant changes to the track...

Here's an aerial photo; see for yourself...

http://tinyurl.com/brmnx

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...me+rock%7cct%7c

Same goes for the Downhill Turn; there's only so far you can go before you hit another creek (one, by the way, that Jim Vail did move when he bulldozed out the circuit in 1955...) So, these are risks you must accept if you wish to drive LRP... - GA