Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LRP Accident

My wife caught the end of a story on the news this morning about an accident at LRP this weekend. Needless to say, she's a "little" freaked. Anyone have any details?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Originally posted by JLawton@Sep 26 2005, 11:24 AM
    My wife caught the end of a story on the news this morning about an accident at LRP this weekend. Needless to say, she's a "little" freaked. Anyone have any details?
    [snapback]61179[/snapback]
    Danbury News Times says Adam Zimmerman 36 (doctor) hit a car stopped that had impacted a "wall", ME says head injuries was cause of death. Other driver not named was treated and released. This was an EMRA event.

Let's keep him and his family in our prayers.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Adam zimmerman was driving at the EMRA EVENT. It was during the 1 hour enduro. he was driving a dsr radical. at aproximatly the 50th minute he crashed with a st-4/ITA integra at the up hill. that is all i know . my condolences go out to his family . rick
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

I took the red flag approximately 200 yards from the scene. Adam was driving the Radical and was incredibly fast during the race but was difficult to see. His car struck the silver/black Integra (Brad Rodier??? not sure) at the end of no name just befor the flag station on the uphill. It took the LRP crew about 10 min to get Adam out and it was obvious that he was gravely injured. It was very difficult to watch as a driver and a Doctor and I wished I had gotten the red flag somewhere else.
    My deepest condolences to Dr. Zimmerman's family and friends.
    My deepest condolences to the racing community as a whole as we are all affected by the loss of one of our own.
    Also, condolences to LRP and the EMRA staff.

Rob Breault
    #36 BMW Z3 ITA
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I'm sorry Brad Rodier was not the other driver. My mistake.
    Rob
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

My rear suspension broke on my RX-7 and I wasn't able to make the field for the enduro. I heard what happened after I left on the radio. During the sprint practice and qualifying, I was surprised numerous times by spec racers that were on track with us. They are quite a bit lower in your mirrors and very quick. I didn't see what happened, so I am not pretending to be an expert, but it seems like an accident between an open cockpit spec racer and a full bodied car seems very dangerous for the driver of the open car. Perhaps they should run with open wheel? They are similar in size with the open wheel cars and much quicker than our full bodied cars (in small bore anyway). With the low number of entries in open wheel, it just seems like they would be a better fit there. What do you guys think?
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

They are quite a bit lower in your mirrors and very quick. I didn't see what happened, so I am not pretending to be an expert, but it seems like an accident between an open cockpit spec racer and a full bodied car seems very dangerous for the driver of the open car. Perhaps they should run with open wheel? They are similar in size with the open wheels cars and much quicker than our full bodied cars (in small bore anyway). With the low number of entries in open wheel, it just seems like they would be a better fit there. What do you guys think?
    [snapback]61197[/snapback]
    [/quote]

I agree 110% the Should never be on the track together.
    Bret de Pedro
    RP Performance
    304-728-6749
    MARRS 2005 ITA Champion
    Summit Point 12 hour SM 1st place
    2004,2005,2006 SSM 2007
    Ask about our SM rentals
    and trackside support

Damn, this is the kind of story you never want to read. Thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Zimmerman's family, as well as to the other driver.

Brett,

I've seen Sports Racers allowed in endurance events at a few tracks. It is w/o a doubt tough to see them when you're in a sedan. Should they not be allowed to run w/ close-wheel cars? I don't know, that's really a tough call.

Gregg,

Your link doesn't work.

Fixed.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Does anyone know Phil Johnson the other driver involved? I wonder how he is handling the whole thing. Anyone who knows Lime Rock knows that section of the track is very tricky. Just look at all the tire marks that curve off to the right after you crest the hill. If someone does know Phil, please let him know that it could have happened to any one of us.
    #94 ST-4 RX-7 EMRA

My friends were at the time trail the day before and I just found out what happened at the race today. It realy is a sad thing to happen, he's a nice guy met him at beaverrun with emra. Ive been on the track im my bimmer with open wheel cars with emra before and other spec racers in time trial pratice, never seen an incident but you have to watch out for them passing you on the straights. He normaly run enduros so I dont think it would have been possiable to run with open wheel cars, I've seen other enduros with radicals running with sedans before as well. It's def a touchy situation for sure

My prayers go out to his family.

Originally posted by Bill Miller@Sep 26 2005, 04:10 PM
    Damn, this is the kind of story you never want to read. Thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Zimmerman's family, as well as to the other driver.

Brett,

I've seen Sports Racers allowed in endurance events at a few tracks. It is w/o a doubt tough to see them when you're in a sedan. Should they not be allowed to run w/ close-wheel cars? I don't know, that's really a tough call.

Gregg,

Your link doesn't work.
    [snapback]61206[/snapback]

We did the VIR 13 hour race last year and they run the SRF in that event. To be honest it was not good, you really have a had timing seeing them and if you went over the top of one it would not be good.
    Bret de Pedro
    RP Performance
    304-728-6749
    MARRS 2005 ITA Champion
    Summit Point 12 hour SM 1st place
    2004,2005,2006 SSM 2007
    Ask about our SM rentals
    and trackside support

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, crew and the track workers involed.

Lou Iannaccone
    NER ITA RX7 #79
    Lou Iannaccone
    NER ITA/7 RX7 #79
    New Milford CT

This morning when a nurse in a doctors office near Allentown asked if I knew Doctor Allen Zimmerman a young racing Doctor I knew something was wrong.

When she told me what was in the news paper I was shocked. He was my friend, we raced together many times.

My condolences to everyone. Family, friends, EMRA, the track workers.

May we all learn something from this tragedy.

Mike Cefalo
    the racinglawyer
    BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
    Love "the commander"
    Mike Cefalo

Wow...so sorry.

i won't comment on the cause as it's not my place, ....it is so sad to lose a fellow racer so close to home. Thankfully there was little in the way of other injuries.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

This whole thing sucks. I was at the race watching a two of my friends race and didn't participate because my car needed some work and the other reason is simply that I just couldn't afford it. Another friend of mine watched with me as the guy got the backboard put behind him and pulled out of the Radical on a back board. I still can't believe he passed away and am shock about the whole thing.

I've read a few other forums that are quick to jump on top of EMRA for this. Of course it is easy to look back and give opinions. I have to say that everyone that I've met that organizes EMRA are good people and do care about people's safety. If you say otherwise you're full of crap. Does this mean that they AND other clubs are as safe as SCCA? No. Watching the event really made me appreciate SCCA. Again, I'm not comparing SCCA to EMRA rather many other clubs out there including clubs that host HPDEs. It just gave me an appreciation of what we have and may sometimes take for granted. Maybe next time we're riding along during the first lap or cool down lap we show the multiple workers at each station how much we appreciate them just a bit more.

Of course my thoughts go out to both drivers and families. The way I have to view this is that they were doing what they were passionate about and loved. There are worse ways to go.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

That's just so sad. Obviously, without knowing the details it's difficult to say if it would have helped this one person but PLEASE - buy that head and neck restraint this winter, if you haven't already done so.

K

Originally posted by Knestis@Sep 26 2005, 11:53 PM
    That's just so sad. Obviously, without knowing the details it's difficult to say if it would have helped this one person but PLEASE - buy that head and neck restraint this winter, if you haven't already done so.

K
    [snapback]61246[/snapback]
    Does anyone know if he was wearing one?
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com