Thread: A1 rear wheel alignment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Originally posted by Bildon@Sep 28 2005, 02:33 AM
    Mark, would I suggest it if it weren't?

5.c.1 is wide open wrt wording...

Any antiroll bar, traction bar, Panhard, Watts .....
    Mounts may be welded or bolted to structure .....
    Traction bars used to control VW axle beam rotation shall be .. solid bar ... heim rods ok ....
    [snapback]61316[/snapback]
    That's a grey area, to be sure. I'm not sure I'd want to defend it as a "traction bar".

That being said, I don't use anti-toe links on the prod car. If anything, the small deflection helps the car rotate!! People who have tried the toe links have reported that they make the car twitchy, possibly due to the rear axle binding under deflection?

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...

Originally posted by racer14itc@Sep 28 2005, 08:39 AM
    That's a grey area, to be sure. I'm not sure I'd want to defend it as a "traction bar".

That being said, I don't use anti-toe links on the prod car. If anything, the small deflection helps the car rotate!! People who have tried the toe links have reported that they make the car twitchy, possibly due to the rear axle binding under deflection?

MC
    [snapback]61335[/snapback]
    >>That's a grey area, to be sure.
    I don't think it's gray. I think the wording is quite clear.

The bar does rotate but not like a RWD high torque axle would. It rotates longitudinally due to sideloading removing camber and traction as it twists. Also depending on the car and setup I would not say the deflection is 'small'. On the WC Golf 4 the deflection is huge, toe changes over 1/2 an inch with Toyo race tires, 800lb springs, etc.

I've seen numerous Golfs using toes links effectively. One of the things you must do is make sure the bars are equal in length to the arc of the trailing arms or you'll get bind as you suggested. Also, if the bars are attached to the rear lower shock mount area you do nothing to crontrol the twisting moment which is created by the tire sideloading. (The force trying to roll the tire underneath the axle) So what is needed is that the rearward bar mount points need to be on and extended section that resists this sideloading / de-cambering force. Perhaps a picture will help.....
    (excuse the welds) :angry:

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs