Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jacking pads legal?

Ditto Kirk, (although I'm not, oh, nevermind, LOL)

(And I see where this is going.. )
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

(And I see where this is going.. )

Really ^, TUBES are free BUT where in any rule does it say that PLATES are free. Oh, that would be the PLATE welded on the end of the free tube. We know that plate is not a mounting plate & we know that plate is not a gusset.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the rules say you can make modifications to install the cage (required safety equipment). This tube is part of the cage and does not violate any other rules (additional attachment points). The number of tubes and how you use them is open.[/b]
    How is a tube that connects at one end to the cage, but at the other end nothing, "part of the cage?"

The only rule I can find that allows arbitrary cage tubes is in the ITCS, not the main cage part of the GCR:
    "Any number of additional reinforcing bars are permitted within the structure of the cage."

Is a bar that doesn't connect to anything on one end a "reinforcing bar?"

Note that the wording for the cage rules is likely changing in '08. The proposed new wording:
    "Any number of additional tube elements is permitted within the boundaries of the minimum cage structure."

Maybe that's a little more lenient than the '07 wording.

But I would argue that 1) these optional tubes are not required safety equipment, so therefore, you cannot use the allowance you referred to at the top of this post; and 2) if you were to use the '08 proposed wording and extend a tube through the floorboard, then it wouldn't be "within the boundaries of the minimum cage structure", as that structure does not go lower than the floor.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I'm not Jake* but I do. Cage bars are free unless they violate some rule, that is a cage bar, and it doesn't.

K

[/b]
    Okay, we are on the same page. So this is legal but as soon as it penetrates the floorboard you feel it becomes illegal. I presume this is because the floorboard recieves a 1.5"-1.75" hole and this hole is the problem.

Below is the rule I believe allows it to penetrate the floorboard, how is this any different when you penetrate the dash and cut holes in it? Is there a different rule that allows the dash to be cut that I'm missing?

"9.1.3.f states "Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted."

Edit: Lots of posts recently. I guess we are back to the old debate if the above pic is even legal. Going through the floorboard is another topic.

Good points Josh, you are right, this is not a reinforcing bar, therefore these jacking points pictured are illegal for current rules, I agree. Interesting that there is selective enforcement of the rules on here. Cutting floorboard, no. Adding a tube, sure.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

This whole discussion would not be necessary if reasonable limited jacking plates were allowed. Unless the CRB wants us to 1) either read between the lines and develop 'creative' solutions, or 2) let the frames rust/crush to the point where we have to repair ('repair&#39 them.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Cage mounting plates can be up to 100 square inches, and may be multi-angled and of irregular shape, as defined in the GCR (think "relief map of Zimbabwe").

So....every plate has two sides. The 100 square inch rule only refers to one side of said mounting plate. What about the other side of the plate ?

That or build a Honda Civic/CRX or Integra. These cars are nice and stiff and when I pick them up at the front pinch weld, both the front and rear wheel come off the ground.

I know not productive, but I couldn't resist
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Yeah. Makes me happy to have 67.xx % front weight bias. I just jack under the front cage down-tube.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Mark, I've already said this once but I'll try again. The argument that you can cut through the floor to install a cage bar is only tenable IF the bar is necessary to or enhances the function of the cage. By your logic I could cut a hole through the roof, stick a tube attached to the cage through it, and mount my videocam on it.

:-) Same, exact logic.

I do think the pictured solution is legal or at least arguable in good faith.

Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis